Let me know

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Let me know

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Ok there is a thread going on about hiding from humans
But us beast hunters really are loaners most hunt, scout ,
Setups etc by ourselves. And like ive said before i dont trust people like the rest of us when it comes to hunting spots deer sightings etc ( i trust about 5 people in the world about anything anyway )lol. But what does everyone do or does anybody tell anyone where they are at or areas they are gonna be for saftey issues or reasons? Who do you tell wife kids uncle dad etc? What if you dont know anyone? I moved here and really dont know anybody. I try to tell my wife but she isnt really a woodsy girl. What to do if i fall get hurt fall through ice get stuck in muck? Etc?

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Let me know

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Probably a good idea to let someone know where you are. But also, you are taking some inherent risks by hunting this way anyway. I'm good with the fact that it would be a very long time before someone found me in one of my spots. Even if someone had GPS coordinates to some of my places it could take them most of a day to find me.

Best thing for me is make sure you're in shape and make sure you trust your equipment. Especially climbing equipment.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 pm

When it comes to big bucks, I barely trust myself. Since being accident prone I'm forced to tell my wife where I'm at. The reason I say forced is cause she's not to good about keeping things on the DL! People come over see a head on the wall and ask where he get that one? And she lets the cat out the bag repeatedly. I find her accounts of where deer were killed extraordinary, yet she can't remember to bring me home a can of snuff. Let someone know for your own safety preferably a non hunter
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm

I have one person at farm. I will tell him where I'm at when I go out. I do not have to worry about him telling anybody. He refuses to even hunt in area I hunt. He does his on thing. Nice to have someone that will help you drag a buck out of a hot spot and don't have to worry about seeing claw marks on trees in area you hunted. I always tell him there is a time to hunt it and then there is a time not to hunt it.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:52 pm

I tell my wife where I'm going but I doubt that is going to help much. I keep my phone in my chest pocket honestly don't even think about it too much I've been in woods so long I'm not too worried I call my wife and tell her I'm headed out. I think you just have to think about what your doing and be smart and know your physical limitations.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

I set up the "find my friends" app with my wife's phone. She can see exactly where i am in the woods.

If you don't have a smart phone. Maybe just write down the GPS coordinates to your stand or vehicle and give them to someone.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:02 pm

My brother in law knows the areas I hunt. And generally where I park. So I'm sure he could eventually find me. I also tell my wife the general areas I'm going, and she knows what my truck is. So she could call the sheriff. Typically text her when I get to the truck. If she doesn't get a text, she's on high alert til she does.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm

I leave a map with wife or someone

I also have a approx call time when I will be out of the woods

I like the app that
rfickes87 wrote:I set up the "find my friends" app with my wife's phone. She can see exactly where i am in the woods.

If you don't have a smart phone. Maybe just write down the GPS coordinates to your stand or vehicle and give them to someone.
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Also gotta realize that in some areas, you might be putting others at risk if they go to look for you.

This thread is about perfect for lopes question

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29141
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 pm

My wife knows my location but that is more for her to feel good. Unless you can get a call or text out saying you are hurt or in danger, no one is going to come looking for you for many hours. Either self rescue, give up and die or wait 12-24 hours and hope they can find you......
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 pm

rfickes87 wrote:I set up the "find my friends" app with my wife's phone. She can see exactly where i am in the woods.

This ^

Had a treestand accident hunting solo two years ago.. made it out safely but it put things into perspective and that was I didn't have an emergency plan God forbid I couldn't reach out to anybody. Find my friends, a call after dark & expected time you'll be home make things a lot safer.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:When it comes to big bucks, I barely trust myself. Since being accident prone I'm forced to tell my wife where I'm at. The reason I say forced is cause she's not to good about keeping things on the DL! People come over see a head on the wall and ask where he get that one? And she lets the cat out the bag repeatedly. I find her accounts of where deer were killed extraordinary, yet she can't remember to bring me home a can of snuff. Let someone know for your own safety preferably a non hunter

Lmao. I hope my wife one day gives the same problem too me. Lol.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Does i phones have this? I need it to actually tell my wife where im at
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:

Does i phones have this? I need it to actually tell my wife where im at

Yes. I would bet its under the Extras app icon. Actual app looks like two guys holding hands cause thats politically correct :think: :doh:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Jonny wrote:Also gotta realize that in some areas, you might be putting others at risk if they go to look for you.

This thread is about perfect for lopes question

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29141

Thnks john never seen that thread its a good one

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”