Health importance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Health importance

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 am

Hey guys its a new year and my hunting equipmaent tactics and thought process has changed for the better as i learn new things and tactics ....
I know this is off topic a bit and i would probably be the last one to talk about or ask about fitness but i need to lose weight and its just impossible for me i have severe ptsd low t and bad back bad knee lmao
I know its very important to be healthy but how in shape is really enough be to hunt?
I worked 20 years at a desk counting keys and inmates 6-8 times a day. And yes i got lazy gained 72 lbs in 20 years im 258 i dont drink or smoke or do illegal drugs ever.
Well im 43 and retired (im lucky and still young )
I will absolutely be honest i hate to exercise ive done it get at it for 2-3 weeks and just get burned out and dread it
then every excuse in the book comes out i try every year so i can be more mobile stong and positive.
I do like to walk. Running is out of the question it kills my back and kills my knees
Anyway. Should we exercise with weights treadmills or whatever equipment is available?
I really wanna lose 50. And im sure some of us are in the same boat.and i wanna get advice from all of us to all of us But how can we use or passion to do this ?
Do i have to go to the gym or break a dvd out at home and bust my but til i cant walk the next day?
Looking to be strong and light. Any info or opinions would be appreciated
Thnks guys im getting to be a real slob lmao

wmihunter

Re: Health importance

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 am

Keep trying different activities until something works or just keep mixing it up so u don't dread exercise. Think positive. Baby steps. A little discipline goes a long way
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:48 am

A good friend of mine said something that helped me lose 50 lbs:

"You can't outrun the spoon."

He was right. Healthy eating had way more impact on body composition than any kind of exercise did.

There's a million different "diets" or styles of eating out there that'll work to help someone lose weight. They all create the same thing: a calorie deficit. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. Find one that works the best for you brother!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 am

Keep your refrigerator stocked with greens, berries, nuts, beans and fruit.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 am

I can post more later but cut your daily carb intake to less than 20 grams a day. Sugar is the devil's drug.

Google and do some quick research. Consult s doctor especially if you're on meds.

I lost 25 pounds in 3 months, quit smoking in October gained more than half back cheating big time on diet to keep the cigs away. Back on diet and down 10 lbs since Christmas break.

I know two other guys personally that lost big weight. One 70 lbs in 8 months and the other 50 lbs in 5 months. Zero exercise just watching what you eat. It works, easy and don't need to watch portions besides carbs.

Fruit, grains and some vegetables are not all that good for you. I will post more later.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 am

My beliefs:

Simple core exercises and flexibility. Squats, pushups, pullups, planks, stretching, no weights needed. A lot of that basic yoga stuff really is legit, and you can do it at home. 15 minutes a day can do wonders.

Be active in everyday life. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk instead of ride if you're a golfer.

Generally the less processed your food is, the better. But moderation and variety. That will outlive any fad diet or conflicting science.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 am

check out myfitnesspal.com.

It can help track what you eat and exercise. So you can see how you are doing.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:I can post more later but cut your daily carb intake to less than 20 grams a day. Sugar is the devil's drug.

Google and do some quick research. Consult s doctor especially if you're on meds.

I lost 25 pounds in 3 months, quit smoking in October gained more than half back cheating big time on diet to keep the cigs away. Back on diet and down 10 lbs since Christmas break.

I know two other guys personally that lost big weight. One 70 lbs in 8 months and the other 50 lbs in 5 months. Zero exercise just watching what you eat. It works, easy and don't need to watch portions besides carbs.

Fruit, grains and some vegetables are not all that good for you. I will post more later.

You are exactly right. I did the Atkins diet when it first came out and lost 30 pounds in one month, and I ate like a pig. I'd have 4 egg ham and cheese omlettes for breakfast, 6 hot dogs without buns for lunch and usually a large dinner. Its not how much you eat, its what you eat. Unfortunately, I got a TBI 10 years ago and gained 100 pounds the first year after. I couldn't do anything but vegetate. To this day, I still get migrains if I overdo it. Its totally changed the way I hunt. I'd love to drop enough weight to hunt comfortable out of a tree saddle again.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 am

Im sorry dont mind isking but wats tbi??
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 am

Do you drink soda lope? Ditching that will help lose unwanted pounds.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am

vtbuck wrote:Do you drink soda lope? Ditching that will help lose unwanted pounds.

Yep. Just drink a lot of water. DO NOT drink a lot of coffee. Think I have been bouncing up and down for the last 9 years :shifty:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:00 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Im sorry dont mind isking but wats tbi??

Traumatic Brain Injury. Cracked my skull open and had bleeding on my brain.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 am

Get out and scout marshes & hill country 4-5 days a week. You'll kill two birds with one stone and be in great shape in no time!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 am

tgreeno wrote:Get out and scout marshes & hill country 4-5 days a week. You'll kill two birds with one stone and be in great shape in no time!

The above along with a Paleo diet. The Paleo diet works well with a hunter/gatherer lifestyle. Also weekly practice setting up stands, sticks or saddles. You'll be working all of the muscles you will actually be using while hunting.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 am

tgreeno wrote:Get out and scout marshes & hill country 4-5 days a week. You'll kill two birds with one stone and be in great shape in no time!

Yep. Walking is great especially up and down hills (if your knees can take it). The more the better. I am not going to go into any specific work out regime, but I walk and hike in the mountains, run, and ride a bike (great if you have bad knees) in the off season and try to hit the gym a couple times a week. This is the bare minimum I do to stay in shape to roam the mountains for a couple months every fall, plus I have a fairly physical job and generally hate sitting still.

But more important than anything is diet. Fresh vegetables, fruits, plenty of venison and home cooked meals. Avoid fast food, soda, excess sugar. I know it sounds hard, but I eat like a freaking hog and never gain a pound. You just gotta eat the right stuff and get plenty of exercise. Good luck. Any little bit you can do will help you get around in the deer woods.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”