The killing plot...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: The killing plot...

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 am

:clap: I liked the end, with the what went wrong. Maybe it will save someone a lost buck. Hard for some to understand how a deer that close presents a difficult shot think u did a good job of explaining.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 am

thanks for sharing with us Dan!!! I found myself in kinda of the same situation a couple of times this year where it was an iffy shot and I elected to pass it up. in doing so i did not tag a buck this year and I am fine with that but I didnt wound or lose one either as I have done in the past.

one other thing, what types of clover did you have in that kill plot, I am planning on putting in a couple of them myself in 2018.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 am

Dan,

Thanks for putting in the effort of filming hunts, especially those that probably arent that fun to post. I think there is another aspect to a tough season that you havent brought up. It isn't easy to run a camera and shoot any size deer. If you didn't video your hunts I'm willing to bet you have a lot different outcome to this season....with that being said, never stop filming your hunts because it is what keeps me going in the offseason. Thanks again
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
ZA11

Unread postby ZA11 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 am

Really appreciate this video!!! reflection and the constant desire to better ourselves.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 am

Another quality video production, Dan ! You bet I learned a ton from this one ! Thanks....
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 am

Thank you for sharing Dan. I loved the raw emotion at the end. Definitely a learning opportunity for us all. Also, those boots looked a little worn. Let me guess, only 1 year old? :lol:
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 am

Great video and info Dan!
I’m curious on the last hunt with the south wind, was it light enough that you counted on the thermals to carry your scent away?
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks for your story. I can relate. Three seasons ago I had my biggest buck of my life time present himself during the firearm season. He was a 160 inch animal.
He presented him self with a doe. The doe was in heat. She got nerves ran 20 yards and jumped the neighbors fence. Mean while the buck was quartering toward me with his right shoulder leading. While he was making up his mind to fallow the doe it took a shot. He fell on his left side and got up ran and jumped the fence. He ran the fence line with the doe by another hunter. That hunter took a shot at it and did not get him. Into the swamp the buck went. We looked for two days and no sigh of the deer but a few drops of blood on the ground and some high on some leave and brush.

I was humbled a lot. My son was in a stand from were he watched the shot unfold. He thought I got him.

I felt rushed and took a shot. He was the biggest buck of my life. Normally I put the slugs right in the lungs but this time I aimed the the neck because he was not broad side. I though that I just wanted him to stay put when it was shot. He was 80 yards away. I have taken shots like this before and gotten the deer. Like you I was killing does and bucks left and right no mater how they present themselves. I always lunged them.

I should have have taken the shot that I been use to. Lung him!!! I dropped deer at 160 yards many times with my 12 ga.
I should have waited until the buck turned. The doe was standing at the fence line grazing. He would not have bolted.
I got buck fever!

I can remember the bucks that got away with such vivid detail while I forgot the details about some of the ones I killed. I really like chasing beast! :D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 am

mathews418 wrote:thanks for sharing with us Dan!!! I found myself in kinda of the same situation a couple of times this year where it was an iffy shot and I elected to pass it up. in doing so i did not tag a buck this year and I am fine with that but I didnt wound or lose one either as I have done in the past.

one other thing, what types of clover did you have in that kill plot, I am planning on putting in a couple of them myself in 2018.

I called Lance ( Deer slayer on the Beast ) and had him recommend seed for my area. Not sure what his blend is/was, but he is really good at knowing areas, seed types, etc. I would recommend buying from him cause he is so helpful with recommendations and is so knowledgeable about plots its well worth the little extra he gets for putting the seed together and shipping it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:07 am

trapper57 wrote:Great video and info Dan!
I’m curious on the last hunt with the south wind, was it light enough that you counted on the thermals to carry your scent away?

It seems when the prediction is S/W... I get south in that spot. Im sure it has something to do with the terrain. Thermals actually worked against me. Almost every deer in the video crossed my ground scent, and everyone that entered the plots in the last two hunts was directly down wind. They just did not react to the scent.
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 am

dan wrote:
trapper57 wrote:Great video and info Dan!

It seems when the prediction is S/W... I get south in that spot. Im sure it has something to do with the terrain. Thermals actually worked against me. Almost every deer in the video crossed my ground scent, and everyone that entered the plots in the last two hunts was directly down wind. They just did not react to the scent.

Interesting for sure.
You should of been doing a scent control commercial!
:lol:
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 am

mnswamphunter wrote:Thanks for your story. I can relate. Three seasons ago I had my biggest buck of my life time present himself during the firearm season. He was a 160 inch animal.
He presented him self with a doe. The doe was in heat. She got nerves ran 20 yards and jumped the neighbors fence. Mean while the buck was quartering toward me with his right shoulder leading. While he was making up his mind to fallow the doe it took a shot. He fell on his left side and got up ran and jumped the fence. He ran the fence line with the doe by another hunter. That hunter took a shot at it and did not get him. Into the swamp the buck went. We looked for two days and no sigh of the deer but a few drops of blood on the ground and some high on some leave and brush.

I was humbled a lot. My son was in a stand from were he watched the shot unfold. He thought I got him.

I felt rushed and took a shot. He was the biggest buck of my life. Normally I put the slugs right in the lungs but this time I aimed the the neck because he was not broad side. I though that I just wanted him to stay put when it was shot. He was 80 yards away. I have taken shots like this before and gotten the deer. Like you I was killing does and bucks left and right no mater how they present themselves. I always lunged them.

I should have have taken the shot that I been use to. Lung him!!! I dropped deer at 160 yards many times with my 12 ga.
I should have waited until the buck turned. The doe was standing at the fence line grazing. He would not have bolted.
I got buck fever!

I can remember the bucks that got away with such vivid detail while I forgot the details about some of the ones I killed. I really like chasing beast! :D

Thinking about your story, this is a common lesson for hunters that have some success behind them. Thanks for sharing.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:19 am

What time of the year do y'all typically plant? Just want to make sure plots are in b4 I call Daves mom and see if there's any work to be done! :lol: just playing just playing... I had permission from a old man one time I hunted place for years. One day he called the cops on me for trespassing told cops he didn't know who I was, then 2 days later called and ask how my season is going.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks for being so honest Dan. What sets you apart from other hunting personalities is you are not afraid to share your failures. As hard as they are to talk about the message helps the rest of us more than you could ever imagine. I needed to hear the end of the video. You and I had such similar circumstances on blown opportunities this past season it’s uncanny. I feel your pain and know how humbling that can be. Let’s hope for a better 2018.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”