Airbow? Where does it stop?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Emrah

Re: Airbow? Where does it stop?

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:49 am

Lope,

I wrote out a long dissertation earlier while sitting on the throne this morning and for some reason it didn't post LOL. So here goes again.

For the record I have no issues with people using cross bows in the regular archery season if they have some sort of medical or physical disability. What I do have an issue with is everybody using them during archery season. The reason being, the archery season was supposed to be difficult. When State game agencies first decided to have an archery season, it was with the understanding that harvest rates would be low because it is a very difficult thing to do. Now, I understand that Google earth, rangefinders, compound bows, O-Zone machines, and even your truck can be considered an advantage over the deer. But again, if we are shooting these animals with a weapon that is superior to the equipment that we are using now, with a higher efficacy and higher resulting harvest rates, we are only hurting ourselves in the long run because our seasons will be shortened and our tags will be limited.

Again, I am not debating the "ancient-ness" of a crossbow. But it all comes down to movement. You make movement when you bring your rangefinder up and down. You make movements when you raise your bow. You make movement when you draw your bow with your own power and hold. You don't do any of those things with a weapon that you cock at the truck, place on shooting sticks, use a but stock and pistol grip to steady, look through a scope and pull a trigger. Most things I've described are not archery.

Fellow Beast member Jason Samkowiak of the Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast rails against crossbows too and he had a recent podcast titled "Your Deer Tag is Not a Meat Voucher". I hear the argument all the time about how people have very little time to hunt. I understand that, and it is unfortunate, but again, the reason we have such a long season an archery is that you are supposed to get busted more often then you are successful. That is the way it supposed to be. Otherwise why have separate seasons for weapons?

Emrah

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 am

With the rise of technology in the last few years I've read a lot of debates on crossbows, compounds, and even trad bows. It's definitely a sensitive subject for many folks and used to be for me. But now I don't really worry about it all that much. The industry is going to come up with amazing things year after year. This year it seems the auto range finding bow sight. For me, instead of getting all hot headed and mad about it I think, that's cool. I won't buy it though. And I won't look at another guy wrongly for using that technology. Just because he or she is using it doesn't mean they'll be getting on big deer any easier.

Something I learned years ago is hunting is as hard or easy as you want to make it. Some guys sit in a boxed tower with a heater and a TV in a recliner. To them that is hunting. To me it's not. But who's to say what's right and what's not right? I think those that choose easier routes can possibly lose out on some experience or a lesson to be learned. But maybe they don't want to learn. Maybe they just want to go out and get away from life for awhile. If that's their thing and they aren't hurting anyone and keep it legal. Have at it.

For me personally I've been attracted to challenge and difficult. That's why I like hunting public land bigwoods. I could easily find some agriculture land where there are more deer but I grew up learning public land without lots of deer to compete for. I love the vastness, the quiet, the secluded part. I love the wild and untainted part. But my style of hunting isn't for everyone and it isn't better or worse than another person's style.

I guess my point is that technology is going to continue to move forward. But as hunters we have a choice to use that technology or not. We choose how hard or how easy we want it. And if the next guy uses it, so be it. If it's legal and they aren't bothering you, let em go. If you think about it, hunting is a little like golf or bowling. You are only competing against yourself and the course. ;)
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 am

Emrah wrote:Lope,

I wrote out a long dissertation earlier while sitting on the throne this morning and for some reason it didn't post LOL. So here goes again.

For the record I have no issues with people using cross bows in the regular archery season if they have some sort of medical or physical disability. What I do have an issue with is everybody using them during archery season. The reason being, the archery season was supposed to be difficult. When State game agencies first decided to have an archery season, it was with the understanding that harvest rates would be low because it is a very difficult thing to do. Now, I understand that Google earth, rangefinders, compound bows, O-Zone machines, and even your truck can be considered an advantage over the deer. But again, if we are shooting these animals with a weapon that is superior to the equipment that we are using now, with a higher efficacy and higher resulting harvest rates, we are only hurting ourselves in the long run because our seasons will be shortened and our tags will be limited.

Again, I am not debating the "ancient-ness" of a crossbow. But it all comes down to movement. You make movement when you bring your rangefinder up and down. You make movements when you raise your bow. You make movement when you draw your bow with your own power and hold. You don't do any of those things with a weapon that you cock at the truck, place on shooting sticks, use a but stock and pistol grip to steady, look through a scope and pull a trigger. Most things I've described are not archery.

Fellow Beast member Jason Samkowiak of the Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast rails against crossbows too and he had a recent podcast titled "Your Deer Tag is Not a Meat Voucher". I hear the argument all the time about how people have very little time to hunt. I understand that, and it is unfortunate, but again, the reason we have such a long season an archery is that you are supposed to get busted more often then you are successful. That is the way it supposed to be. Otherwise why have separate seasons for weapons?

Emrah

Well said. I agree. Im not disagreeing with you at all
Airbows which i dont know y they are called bows because they have no limbs. i call them airguns or a rivet gun. Its slmost like shooting a real skinny railroad tie. They definitely should be used during gun season
They are not bows its like comparing a bb or pellet gun to a compound bow. Its not the same. But some guys are gonna jump on it to give themselves another advantage
Thats all i was saying. I agree with you. But who am I to judge anyone. If a guy wants to shoot a deer with an airgun so be it. Its his choice do i think it should be used during gun season God Darn right I Do. So its probably a case in virginia of a politician knows the manufacturer of a so called airbow maker. Brothers sisters former roomate or somthing someones making my ney on a deal like that. Lol. But once again who am i to point fingers or put blame on. But if someone really dig deep into why airbows passed in Virginia. They would probably see some kind of nepotism went on. But im wrong all ghe time lmao. Stay safe stay positive my brotha.
P.s. im working on my shoulder and saving up for a bow so i can hunt with one. I would really love to kill my first buck beast mode with a bow next year. Or eventually
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:00 am

I want a laser bow :mrgreen:
Make It Happen
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:04 am

Swampbuck wrote:I want a laser bow :mrgreen:

Just don't get it from a storm trooper. Youll never hit anything. :lol:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:55 am

the problem is secretly everybody will use one... we as hunters have to decide when to put our foot down and say no thanks its our responsibility not the state or the companies. we need to express true hunting values and draw the line that goes for weapons and harvests. I only shot two deer this year because the numbers are down normally I kill 4 to 6 deer a year and a bear. looks like ill be filling the freezer with smoked trout this year but that's fine because when I kill 4 does I kill 12 deer.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:24 am

1st off it's a PR/advertising scheme calling it a "bow". It's a gun. What's that primitive tubular weapon that shoots darts called. """A blow gun""""".

As far as technology always growing, rights for people to choose how hard they make their hunts. I.E. weapon choice. When it comes to a weapon like this we "have" to draw the line somewhere. And acknowledge the tradition behind the original intent of our "archery only" seasons.

No guns should be allowed in these "archery only" seasons. """""Period""""""

Think people!!! Think!!!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:36 am

It’s getting way out of control. What’s next? :twisted:

Won’t be long now and we will see just one hunting season that won’t be weapon specific and anything goes. Hope I’m wrong but I truly believe I will see that in my lifetime.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:03 am

Guess i'm going in REVERSE, spending more and more time with the ol recurve. Looking for a longbow for next season. Just killing a doe is a great day, like being a kid again. Technology just brings new sets of problems.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:15 am

I dont think they belong outside of gun season. Calling it a bow is a way to try to lobby lawmakers. By allowing use in archery season it opens the door for many more sales.

I am all for crossbows... If you have a reason to use one. I think if you have the ability to draw a vertical bow you should be using one.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:22 am

Killemquietly wrote:Guess i'm going in REVERSE, spending more and more time with the ol recurve. Looking for a longbow for next season. Just killing a doe is a great day, like being a kid again. Technology just brings new sets of problems.
the mystical flight of the arrow
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:57 am

ghoasthunter wrote:the problem is secretly everybody will use one... we as hunters have to decide when to put our foot down and say no thanks its our responsibility not the state or the companies. we need to express true hunting values and draw the line that goes for weapons and harvests. I only shot two deer this year because the numbers are down normally I kill 4 to 6 deer a year and a bear. looks like ill be filling the freezer with smoked trout this year but that's fine because when I kill 4 does I kill 12 deer.

Smoked trout? Im coming over i always wanted to try that lol
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 am

this is a debate that never has an end...............

Only way to solve it is to say archery is a stick and string, no sites, no compounds, no crossbows.

Compounds have a huge advantage over a trad bow, crossbows have an advantage over a compound bow.

Guys that shoot compounds or crossbows are in the exact same spot. I really laugh when I hear someone that shoots a compound condemn a guy that shoots a crossbow.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 am

These type things just burn me up lol! Believe it or not I'm pretty much a happy go lucky but I have my fuse when it comes to archery.

I think it's possibly from the state I reside in. Most of the ones I hear say who cares have these long bow season and thousands of public acres.

This is why I moan and groan. My state has a 2.5 month scoped rifle season. I have a 30 day bow season which I have to pay more for than a gun hunter. Also they took one week away afew years back for a youth gun season because it was apparently inconvenient for that to take place in the lengthy gun season.

This is not a bowhunting state, people don't have tree stands they have shooting houses and pop up blinds. B4 the Xbow I atleast had afew weeks b4 the place was crawling with Elmer Fudds. But with the Xbow which allowed them to shoot from there box blinds that was lost. And the woods became crammed from the jump by gun hunters grabbing a Xbow to extend there season. Now I got this dang air gun coming down the pipe, it just makes no dang sense to me.

I don't get how someone who limits there equipment gets the shortest season. Hoping maybe someone can shine some lite on the situation and explain what I'm missing here, cause I certainly don't have the who cares attitude.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 am

Jeff G wrote:this is a debate that never has an end...............

Only way to solve it is to say archery is a stick and string, no sites, no compounds, no crossbows.

Compounds have a huge advantage over a trad bow, crossbows have an advantage over a compound bow.

Guys that shoot compounds or crossbows are in the exact same spot. I really laugh when I hear someone that shoots a compound condemn a guy that shoots a crossbow.

I disagree. The difference is you raise, draw, hold and shoot a bow within sight of a deer where it can see and hear you. Not so with a crossbow. It's resting on a shooting stick, bar, limb, what have you with no movement and no noise. Huge difference.

Emrah

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”