The last days are upon us...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Re: The last days are upon us...

Unread postby Wild public » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Going out Wednesday of next week , hunting a funnel tight to bedding area,,going to hunt the morning,,almost impossible to get set up there in the evening without getting busted and sometimes I get busted an hour before daylight but it’s the best option I think I have ,,at this point I have nothing to loose..we will see..

sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:32 pm

I'm hunting balmy southern OH public this weekend, but all I have scouted are ridgetops and saddles for rut-hunting. Any suggestions? Will be me and a friend, we could try pushing through valleys...
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 pm

I've still been at it on my days off work. The last 3 evenings that I hunted I saw my target buck. I just didn't have the right wind to get to where he was. If I don't get the right wind soon, I'm just going to have to go for broke and go after him no matter what. I'm still being patient, but I"m quickly running out of time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:35 pm

We still got a month left :dance:
wiser blood

Unread postby wiser blood » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Last two days of the season to hunt bucks this weekend for me. Saturday, I can either hunt an area that is/was the sanctuary on my farm but I’m not too familiar with it or I could hunt the back of a ridge where I know a big buck is just on the other side. My fear is that I will spook him if I get too close since I don’t know exactly where he is, just the general area. Sunday, I have the right wind to hunt that same buck on the opposite side of the ridge where I have seen him at dusk before. But, I have no idea if he will take that path in shooting hours. I’m torn! I could also set up on the two corn fields and see what comes out at dusk, but that could be just some does.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 pm

I still have a month and a half. Stage 3 of my hunting season begins shortly
<DK>
500 Club

Re: The last days are apon us...

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 pm

rfickes87 wrote:I'm am going out and sitting directly over a bed I just found like if it were a bait pile. Going to get there super early in the morning and see what happens. Can't get any more aggressive than that right?

wiser blood wrote:Last two days of the season to hunt bucks this weekend for me. Saturday, I can either hunt an area that is/was the sanctuary on my farm but I’m not too familiar with it or I could hunt the back of a ridge where I know a big buck is just on the other side. My fear is that I will spook him if I get too close since I don’t know exactly where he is, just the general area. Sunday, I have the right wind to hunt that same buck on the opposite side of the ridge where I have seen him at dusk before. But, I have no idea if he will take that path in shooting hours. I’m torn! I could also set up on the two corn fields and see what comes out at dusk, but that could be just some does.

Good luck fellas! :pray:
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:21 pm

A buddy was having a heck of a time getting on a few good bucks he knew were in the area he was hunting. I told him if it were me I would try hunting noon to close in this weather. At 1:15 PM yesterday he had a dandy at 22 yards. Problem was he had shed one side, so he passed. He said he had 11 different deer in range and 9 of those came through before 3. He was set up between bed and food but much closer to the bedding area than the bean field. This is private land but it's like public as this landowner lets pretty much everyone hunt.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:22 pm

I like the story of the 3 chinaman playing fan tan. A guy runs in and says hey the worlds coming to a end. The first one says I best go to the mission and pray. The 2nd says shoot I’m gonna get a bottle of Mezcal and 6 whores. The 3rd one says Well I shall finish the Game!

There’s something said for fighting until the end. I take away from that story one man praying for a miracle, one man giving up and finding something else better to do. And the last one sticking to his guns and finishing. Good luck everyone.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm doing everything in my power to get a leg up for next year before the antlers shed. I need those antlers on so that I can tell which Buck is which as I Scout. Trying to figure out where different bucks are hanging out in the neighborhood through spotting trail cameras and scouting.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:10 pm

I have till the 13th to fill my buck tag. I haven't seen a mature buck since the one I missed last day or early archery here in PA.
Plan of attack hasn't changed much, but will be focusing more on destination spots.

Good luck to those still grinding it out!
Joe™
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:10 pm

PredatorTC wrote:I'm doing everything in my power to get a leg up for next year before the antlers shed. I need those antlers on so that I can tell which Buck is which as I Scout. Trying to figure out where different bucks are hanging out in the neighborhood through spotting trail cameras and scouting.

Same here. But they are shedding out fast. Some really really good bucks made it. 2 especially that will consume a lot of my time post season.
Killsmeals

Unread postby Killsmeals » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:35 pm

I am going to head in for some potential buck bedding tomorrow evening. It is far back on public with some secluded food plots on the way I hope to pick up on a good buck track in plot. Been scouting it for hunters all week nobody has been in there. :dance:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:53 am

Im going ghis week gonna grind on a few spots ive found just for observation and data for next year. On the marsh of course. We just got 12 inches of snow so getting where i wanna go is going to be a very huge challenge
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 am

Heading out this weekend for muzzleloader with my dad and Brother. We use this as more of a meat hunt and typically stack up quite a few.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”