How Cold is Too Cold For You?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Emrah

How Cold is Too Cold For You?

Unread postby Emrah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:07 pm

The temps for the next three days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) are not supposed to get above -5. Lows of -14. What is YOUR personal limit of calling it quits? I was doing ok sitting for a few hours at a time when it was +10 and low teens last week. Much longer if I was moving still hunting. But I think the negative temps have finally beaten me. When it gets that cold any exposed piece of skin (like my face) just can't cope with sitting more than a few minutes.

I wear glasses and I've never been able to wear a face mask of any sort so my nose and face just freeze. I think unless I'm in a pop up blind with a buddy heater blasting I'm about done. The last day of archery deer for us here in MN is the 31st.

Maybe I'm being a wuss, but I suppose everyone has their limit. What's yours?

Emrah

Dewey

Re: How Cold is Too Cold For You?

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Guess I really don’t have a set limit when I will stay home. I have gone hunting/scouting, ice fishing and snowmobiling in -20 and lower actual temp so many times. Just a way of life living where we do. Modern quality clothing options has made it so much more tolerable compared to years ago. Looking back I’m amazed the stuff I hunted in years ago with crappy clothing.

You really have to be prepared. I always carry extra hand and body warmer packs along with a way to start a fire in an emergency. Every piece of clothing I wear serves a function to keep me warm. When done properly you can be very comfortable in some pretty extreme stuff. You mentioned not being able to use a facemask with glasses. I use a Predator Stealth Fleece mask with glasses and that thing keeps my face warm in anything. The breath shield works great so my glasses don’t fog up. Also use a UA Coldgear facemask for walking in and out to keep my head/face covered. Extremely thin and lightweight but unreal how well it blocks the cold and wind.

I’ll repeat what has been said here so many times.....quit wasting $1,000’s on clothing that won’t keep you warm. Invest in a HBS or IWOM and cold weather will never be an issue again. I have both and without a doubt the best money I have ever spent. I actually look forward to the cold weather now.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:47 am

Like I said, walking or still hunting is not a problem. It's being stationary. I'll definitely look into the face mask you mentioned. I've never had one work for me but it's worth a try. And an IWOM/HBS is definitely on my short list for gear for next season. I'm still working my way through the "VS" thread trying to figure out which one would be better for me.

Emrah
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 am

Get an IWOM. Love mine. I use to wear the Sitka Incinerator set which did a great job but for $1,100 it wasn't worth what an IWOM can do plus you can layer under the IWOM til your hearts content. Wearing a face mask/neck gator is a necessity. For me my hands get really cold when taking the stand down after sitting since touching the metal sticks and such takes it's toll. Even with really thick gloves my hands are hurting by the time I'm done. I have to take my time and warm my hands as needed in between putting the equipment away. I carry an electric hand warmer which helps and also have the pro flex heated insoles with the extended batteries which are the cats meow. I'll be out this weekend in single digits to below zero. Like Dewey said, I grew up in these temps and it's a way of life. Little pain here and there but I'd rather be there than sitting on the couch. It is certainly nice to come home and sit in front of the fireplace though!
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:05 am

I love the cold. You never know what you might see.
I try to wear as little as possible walking in to avoid sweating. I use hand and toe warmers. A muff. Good wool socks for the walk in and I usually change socks before getting in the stand so my feet are dry.
I just bought new outerwear just for these kinds of temps.
I’ve hunted in temps with windchills down to -30. I don’t mind the cold. Just gotta stay positive and wear the appropriate clothing.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:08 am

It has never gotten too cold for me. And yes it gets cold in the mountains of WV. Was -8 here at elevation 2 nights ago. Calling for single digits with wind chill below zero all next week. I can sit down to about 0 for about 4 hours, if it is below 0 I usually walk/still hunt. But I am sure I could be warmer sitting if I used some type of chemical or mechanical hand/foot warmers. Truly my feet are the only things that get cold usually. The deer and mature bucks I have been seeing in this cold makes it a lot easier to be out in it. If I wasn't seeing much I would be done, as our season goes out Sunday.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mikew36

Unread postby mikew36 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 am

I wont go out if it is so cold the deer freeze solid. I sat two days in a row full days a few years back when it was around -20 windchill. There was deer moving so I didn't care.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 am

If it was windy and crazy cold I probably stay home, that wind is a killer. Otherwise I have done all day sits in -20, I can't imagine -30 or a tad more is all that different. This year I think we had 10 degrees with a lot of wind, that was stupid cold in the spot I was sitting, was way warmer on the -20 calm day.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:45 am

it's getting there. I started taking out a heavy old sleeping bag for my ground sits. I did better than usual the other day with -° wind chill. My feet are the worst, than hands. I'll bare it out with 3 days left in season. 2 hour sits.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:05 am

headgear wrote:If it was windy and crazy cold I probably stay home, that wind is a killer. Otherwise I have done all day sits in -20, I can't imagine -30 or a tad more is all that different. This year I think we had 10 degrees with a lot of wind, that was stupid cold in the spot I was sitting, was way warmer on the -20 calm day.

I agree. A bad wind will keep me out of the tree or at least put me in a spot to avoid the wind. Have hunted -20 and had bad clothing and made it fine for half a day. 15 and windy was much worse than -20
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:42 am

In short for me.
-20 degree with zero mph wind I can do
0 degrees with 20 mph wind I can not do
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:58 am

Agree about the wind. Yesterday was almost 10 degrees but windy. Bitterly cold. This morning is -5 and totally bearable.

Emrah
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 am

And I may have asked this in another thread, but how many of you die hard tree stand guys switch to ground hunting when it's this cold? I'm not terribly comfortable or confident in a tree stand as it is but add in extra layers, heavier boots, etc and I don't like being up there. Setting up and taking down cold metal isn't fun either!

Emrah
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 am

Here's a thread where some members talk about using soap on your glasses to prevent fogging.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41679&hilit=soap
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:06 am

Its not the heat, its the humidity that will kill ya

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”