Things you've seen while hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

treeroot
500 Club

Things you've seen while hunting

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:07 pm

What is things have you seen creatures of the woods do?

Although not to odd I've seen many doe fights. I'm impressed how hard they can kick one another and stay standing on two legs.

Last year I was watching a farel cat for over an hour stalking mice in the golden rod. A four point came in and started nipping on some browse. I figured the buck would either run away from the cat or not care. I was wrong. The cat closed the distance to around twenty yards and the buck put his head down and tried to catch the cat. He chased it a couple hundred yards through the brush and golden rod. When he lost it he spent a solid five minutes walking around and scanning the area. He ended up coming back in and browsing. Every few minutes he would look towards where he chased the cat and stare. I never would've thought he would chase it. The way he went after it, I think he really wanted to kill it.

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Things you've seen while hunting

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Pretty sure I have seen squirrels attempt to take their own life. Also have seen hawks gang up to take out squirrels as well.

Best one was I had a beauty of an 8 point take a nap 40 yards from me. Could hear him snoring
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:23 pm

I was sitting in a hemlock tree last October when a whole flock of chickadees swarmed my setup. Two of them really took to my carbon perch I set up for them :lol: Nothing too exciting but they sure are fun to watch! I also learned this year that porcupines make the weirdest noises!
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 pm

I was hunting one day last year on state land and seen something big in the distance commimg towards me got pumped up grabbed my bow and as it got close it was a horse it got loose of the farmers land
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 am

I saw a fox chasing a rabbit. The fox was lighting fast. The rabbit didn’t have a chance. Heard the death squeal in a thicket. I’ve seen hawks swoop down and take pigeons more than a few in residential areas
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:19 am

A few years ago I sat in the dark more than an hour before light. I got perched in my stand and sat back to let the woods quiet down and close my eyes to rest some more. As I sat in the quiet out of nowhere something hit my head, just a tap the pushed my beanie to the side of my head. Scared !@#$ less I turned on my light and looked around. Nothing. I looked for my than 5 minutes and there was nothing, no movement, no noise, nothing. So I thought well maybe it was a branch that somehow fell from above and hit my head to fall on the forest floor. I sat back and rested some more only to have it happen again only this time it hurt. It jolted my head to the side and took my hat right off. Same thing, grab my light and look around. Now I'm getting mad. Is there someone another hunter throwing something at me cuz I'm in his spot??? What the heck is going on??? I thought maybe it's an owl trying to grab what he thinks is a squirrel??? That last thought led me to the answer. It ended up being a flying squirrel attempting to land on my head.

Craziest thing I've ever had happen to me.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 am

Saw a fisher in the early 2000's, nobody at camp had ever seen one and I didn't even know what it was at the time. Now we see them regularly.

Had a doe run into a fence and break her neck less than 10 yards from me while we driving.

Watched a hawk kill a grouse and have seen a few hawk/squirrel hunts go down.

Watched two coons fight once. Man was that loud.

I haven't been but know a couple guys that have been attacked by owls in the dark.

Had what I think was a bear or possibly a coyote follow me in the dark for a couple hundred yards last year. Wasn't a deer, it had these creepy yellowish eyes. Never got too close and I ended up shooting a buck that morning.

I was in a hickory tree, look up above me and there is a porcupine less than 10 feet away. Luckily he just stood there the rest of the evening, but I had an eye on him ready to bail if he headed my way.

Last fall a half-tame button buck was literally following me around and twice came within arms reach.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:31 am

So many, don't even know where to start. This is the first thing I tell non-bowhunters about why bow-hunting is the best. We get to see stuff most people never will.

Just this year from the stand I've seen deer, coyotes, foxes, mink, coons, porkies, opossum's, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, mice, and probably over 100 species of birds.

My favorites are when I get stalked and dove in on by a raptor of some kind. Two closest calls were a barred owl that got close enough I felt its wing tips and a sharp shinned hawk that almost got my hand. That one was on purpose. Saw it perched across a marsh 100 yards out. Started trying to make my hand look like a song bird. Five minutes later it dove out of the perch it was on and came my way. Finally waved it off at about 4 feet.

That cat story made me laugh. This isn't a woods story, but on time we had a big doe in our backyard. I cracked our sliding door enough to get a good picture. As soon as I did the cat took out after the doe, then my 8 months pregnant wife took off after the cat. We lived on a golf course at the time so I just doubled over laughing watching the whole train head towards the woods.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 am

elk yinzer wrote:Saw a fisher in the early 2000's, nobody at camp had ever seen one and I didn't even know what it was at the time. Now we see them regularly.

Had a doe run into a fence and break her neck less than 10 yards from me while we driving.

Watched a hawk kill a grouse and have seen a few hawk/squirrel hunts go down.

Watched two coons fight once. Man was that loud.

I haven't been but know a couple guys that have been attacked by owls in the dark.

Had what I think was a bear or possibly a coyote follow me in the dark for a couple hundred yards last year. Wasn't a deer, it had these creepy yellowish eyes. Never got too close and I ended up shooting a buck that morning.

I was in a hickory tree, look up above me and there is a porcupine less than 10 feet away. Luckily he just stood there the rest of the evening, but I had an eye on him ready to bail if he headed my way.

Last fall a half-tame button buck was literally following me around and twice came within arms reach.

Got the pleasure of watching a Goshawk chase a grouse once too! Made Top Gun look like child's play. Two perfectly adapted creatures for their habitat. Very cool.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:22 am

I've had an owl fly at my head in the early light hours. It came close enough I ducked before it veered off is path.

I worked one summer cutting brush underneath powerlines and i watched a squirrel climb a tree that recently had its branches trimmed. It paused and then jumped missing the branch and falling to the ground. Not to be deterred it climbed back up and tried it's luck again on a different branch only to fall 20ft onto the blacktop. It scurried off staying on the ground this time. Can't believe it didn't die right there. We had obviously interrupted his travel routine.
Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 am

I've seen everything we have in Wisconsin EXCEPT a bobcat. Lots of tracks, even got a photo once on my trail camera during the day, but I've yet to see one. My list of "seen-its" include a cougar, a small bull moose, and several fishers and pine martens.

Among the real oddities was a weasel hunted past the stump on which I was sitting and I lip-squeaked at him, and he turned around, sniffed the air for a few moments, dove down a hole and came back up with a mouse crossways in his mouth. Once I was sitting on the ground and a squirrel ran across my lap. I've seen squirrels fall from the tops of trees yet somehow survive, owls pick off red squirrels, and have had chickadees land on my head, arrowhead, and end of my gun barrel. Saying "Boo!" at a pretty good-sized bear at about 20 feet was another highlight -- it's amazing how quickly they can swap ends!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:37 am

Heard some crashing, and out of corn comes a doe with a fox fast on her heels. That was cool to watch.
I've almost been hit in the head while in a tree stand by a turkey.... I did not know they could fly like that! I had a falcon swoop down and miss my head while I was sitting in a thick little patch on the ground, by just mere feet watch him fly right at me.
the first deer I seen in the stand this year was a little button buck that walked in about 5 feet from my tree, I was able to drop milkweed and predict exactly where he would look up and sure enough he did.
Many many different types of birds, several I've never seen before in my life.
Had a vole try to run up my boot, same day i almost got hit by the falcon. Kept flicking him away and he kept coming at me.
Have had both a porcupine and a skunk within 10 feet of me crossing paths as I was walking out. I think I was more scared of the skunk!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:43 am

I had an albino 4 point come by me at 40 yards one afternoon many years ago. That was one of the coolest things I've seen in the woods. I've been hunting for 30 years and have seen a lot of neat stuff.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:03 am

Ragingun ...I also had flying squirrels land on me two mornings in a row. Didn’t know what it was at first and was getting the creeps I was trying to hit it on my pack with my bow and then next thing I knew it was on my shoulder or back. That stand set got moved since I didn’t see Deer after all the commotion I made
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:07 am

daveynewman wrote:I was hunting one day last year on state land and seen something big in the distance commimg towards me got pumped up grabbed my bow and as it got close it was a horse it got loose of the farmers land

:lol: Thats a expensive tag!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”