Double bench?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Double bench?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Anyone have experience with hunting terrain where there are 2 benches flowing around a Ridge? Curious as to how nick normally relate to this and how you might judge which one they would use. I’m guessing they would use the one nearest the military crest...

I encountered an area like this whil scouting but the sign didn’t seem to favor one over the other.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Double bench?

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm

I’d probably hunt the highest one on a calmer sunnier day and the lower one on a overcast or windier day if the sign didn’t favor one or the other
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Most of the sign rubs and such should be by the lower bench, A older buck in my area will travel above letting the thermal bring up the scent of scrapes and doe trails as he travels with wind quartering over the ridge and on cloudy moist days or late in the eve they will travel below both benches as thrrmal drops. Right after a rain they sometimes travel the trail of rubs and scrapes freshening them up.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:47 pm

I would hunt the one with the most bedding or closest to food, or has the most food/cover, or as already mentioned, hunt them both with different wind advantages. I hunt a ridge with benches every couple hundred yards. I hunt different ones in different years with different food sources, but the best one on average is the third bench from the top and is the thickest with grapevines and bedding and the hardest for a person to get to from top or bottom. I also hunt some places where a funnel is created when a couple benches end or come together.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”