Becoming the hunted

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ashreve93

Re: Becoming the hunted

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:00 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Why wouldnt it be accurate? And Pennsylvania is mountains so the guy or person shooting could have been down in a draw or calley shooting up the mountain (which is stupid not knowing your target) and man ive been there its why i dont duck hunt or deer hunt shotgun season anymore back in jersey. We called shotgun week idiot week when all the drunk hungover idiots come out and drive every inch of public property
They shoot everything that moves too
Well my friend i believe your story and just learn from it and just think how lucky you were not getting shot.
There are some real idiots oht there and i agree if someone is being stupid or unsafe somthing should be said asp to that idiot
Just my opinion. Stay safe my brothas Hint like a beast

Double Draw wrote:Last Friday, my last chance to hunt the rifle season in PA, I hiked into the farthest point in the public swamp I hunt. I was 300 yards from private.......

OP said he was in a swamp... That would imply it's not mountainous terrain. Therefor that would presume mostly level terrain absent steep changes in elevation. But he's since clarified so it makes more sense?

I'm from pa, and i can assure you, pa has plenty of hills next to swamps. They aren't 10 mile long swamps, more like 500 yard long swamps (for the most part) but there's not a single bit of his story that i wouldn't find feasible. There could have also been 2 hunters shooting at the 2 deer side-by-side, causing both shots to hit the tree. Plus, if the hunters were in a dip shooting over a hill side, I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't see the hunter. This is why you don't shoot over hillsides.

Thank you for sharing the story.

It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am

Double Draw wrote:One of the things I appreciate about the HB forum is that, while people may passionately share their opinions and disagree with one another, I do not see bashing or people questionin people's integrity.

Completely agree with you on this. This forum is full of passionate deer hunters, and not a lot of silliness.

Double Draw wrote:The problem with going to the Game Commission is that they would most likely take a statement and it would end there. If they did an investigation it would be time consuming and tedious from my end. As a small business owner who has dealt with criminal behavior resulting in me testifying in court and losing more time and $ than it was worth I have a tendancy to shy away from law enforcement involvement unless it is really big.

If you actually took fire in the tree you were in, there is evidence in that tree (projectiles, or jacket fragments, etc.). Your local GC would like to know about that, and your local community deserves to know about that. Especially since you claim to have reason to know where the suspect hunters came from. Even if nothing concrete were to come out of it, the GC paying those folks a visit would get talked about on that property and amongst others.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:22 pm

I don’t know if the op is making this up or not...only he does. But I will tell you I was hunting some public a few years ago and me and my brother started hearing semi auto rifle fire. It was bow only. We were just walking the gravel road in when we heard it. All of a sudden a vehicle comes flying out and we talked to them. Said they were up in a tree when bullets came whizzing by and hitting the tree beside one guy. We called the cops and waited and waited. They had too. Kept hearing the shots. LE never did come. We think it was people target practicing illegally from behind the public. They were actually on city land that’s supposedly illegal to be on.

So for you guys saying he should call the police I doubt it would have done a lot of good. Same with the warden. I’ve made several complaints over the years to the DNR and nothing ever gets done. What are they gonna do? Take 6 hours to get out there and then no one is around to question and then what? Last year someone shot a doe out of season and from the road. I heard the shot as it was right by my house. Guy shot from a car from the road over a field toward a house. I called 3 different times and guess what? The game warden never came out. So good luck with that
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

I took my wife out bowhunting once on some public and walked in about 3/4mi. With a little over an hour left some kids started firing like crazy about 100yds away. They were obviously just shooting to shoot with no target in mind. I yelled and got down but by the time I reached the vehicle to drive around they were gone. I contacted the dnr agent but nothing came from it. This area does not allow target shooting except at designated areas none of which were in the area. I also had a guy firing a slug gun into tree tops while doing a deer drive. Not sure if he was trying to scare deer or shoot squirrels. He saw me and high tailed it out of there. In both cases I heard bullets hitting limbs above me. Scary stuff for sure.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:18 am

sureshotscott wrote:
Double Draw wrote:One of the things I appreciate about the HB forum is that, while people may passionately share their opinions and disagree with one another, I do not see bashing or people questionin people's integrity.

Completely agree with you on this. This forum is full of passionate deer hunters, and not a lot of silliness.

Double Draw wrote:The problem with going to the Game Commission is that they would most likely take a statement and it would end there. If they did an investigation it would be time consuming and tedious from my end. As a small business owner who has dealt with criminal behavior resulting in me testifying in court and losing more time and $ than it was worth I have a tendancy to shy away from law enforcement involvement unless it is really big.

If you actually took fire in the tree you were in, there is evidence in that tree (projectiles, or jacket fragments, etc.). Your local GC would like to know about that, and your local community deserves to know about that. Especially since you claim to have reason to know where the suspect hunters came from. Even if nothing concrete were to come out of it, the GC paying those folks a visit would get talked about on that property and amongst others.

You have a point about there being evidence for an investigation. My concern then, even if it is just a visit from the warden to the offender(s), is retaliation. I am the only one who goes to that spot. No people in several years on my trail camera in that area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”