Determining beds on changing wind direction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Determining beds on changing wind direction

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:46 am

So I’m at a loss on this. If the winds are gonna be from the NNW until about 12am then moving to NW until about 3-4 am then changing to WNW until finally at about 7 going W, how do you determine bedding? Would you just plan on a W bedding point or would they likely bed on a NW point then just stay put?

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Determining beds on changing wind direction

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:08 am

It depends on the terrain you are hunting and how a west or north west wind will affect the bedding area. I have seen a west wind blow from the north or south or NW or SW depending on terrain/thermals. But for the most part I would think the bedding would be pretty similar with those forecast winds and if it going to be a west wind at daybreak, I would plan on a west wind bedding area. Most of the time with variable wind, which I usually have, I do not determine exact bedding areas, I determine likely bedding/travel areas and hunt a terrain feature as close as possible where I can get the wind to my advantage.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:19 am

brancher147 wrote:It depends on the terrain you are hunting and how a west or north west wind will affect the bedding area. I have seen a west wind blow from the north or south or NW or SW depending on terrain/thermals. But for the most part I would think the bedding would be pretty similar with those forecast winds and if it going to be a west wind at daybreak, I would plan on a west wind bedding area. Most of the time with variable wind, which I usually have, I do not determine exact bedding areas, I determine likely bedding/travel areas and hunt a terrain feature as close as possible where I can get the wind to my advantage.

Thanks for the input....I'm talking about hill country...it can vary from really steep with bluffs to just steep and then some areas more rolling hills
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:26 am

brancher147 wrote:It depends on the terrain you are hunting and how a west or north west wind will affect the bedding area. I have seen a west wind blow from the north or south or NW or SW depending on terrain/thermals. But for the most part I would think the bedding would be pretty similar with those forecast winds and if it going to be a west wind at daybreak, I would plan on a west wind bedding area. Most of the time with variable wind, which I usually have, I do not determine exact bedding areas, I determine likely bedding/travel areas and hunt a terrain feature as close as possible where I can get the wind to my advantage.

That's the logic I've been following too. Whatever the wind is when he should be bedding down is the wind I use to locate bedding for the evening hunt. If it's a good bedding point he may just stay put or move around that same point to get the wind more at his back rather than moving entirely to another point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”