Seeking advice on super thick and loaded with sign

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Seeking advice on super thick and loaded with sign

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Just got on a piece of land that has been clear cut for future development...it is super thick, impassable in many areas on the sides of each ridge line with one being bordered by a neighborhood. The bottom is more clear with a drainage creek running through.

It is LOADED with deer sign...many, many to the dirt trails, scar everywhere and fresh with lots of new and old rubs. Clearly appears to be a lot of deer using this given the amount of sign.

Main issue is determining where to hunt without getting it boogered up. Can’t really observe as it is too thick to see farther than 15-20 yards except in the bottom where my scent would probably spread all over.

Any ideas? There are so many fresh trails and sign, it’s hard to determine where to focus.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Ghost Hunter

Re: Seeking advice on super thick and loaded with sign

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Start on edges an suttle terrain changes. Look for small opens with travel areas near edges. Old logging roads. Crossing on sides of hills that are hidden from view. Old skid roads where they pulled timber out. Anything that makes travel easier without giving away security. Start by breaking areas down in small sections an just look at them one piece at a time. Trying to look at a big area you know nothing about and figure out patterns is over whelming. Just break it down section at a time.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Depends on the size of property how I would hunt it. In my case most of that sign in the valley around drainage is made in darkness or by young deer and used as a escape route when a hunters wind reaches em as they approach the ridge. I would throw a observation sit at from as far away as u can see. And let the deer tell u where to set up.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Depends on the size of property how I would hunt it. In my case most of that sign in the valley around drainage is made in darkness or by young deer and used as a escape route when a hunters wind reaches em as they approach the ridge. I wouldd love to do throw a observation sit at from as far away as u can see. And let the deer tell u where to set up.

I’d love to do that however there are just a few tree to get a stand in and they are all in the bottoms. On the ground you can t see more than about 20 yards. The only transitions are the creek at the bottom and the very top. It’s all briars and olive bushes. The sign is almost equally good over the whole place...about 80 acres that we have access to which is why I figure to only get a few sits out of it. It is so thick I’d think they could be using any of it in daylight.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:17 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Depends on the size of property how I would hunt it. In my case most of that sign in the valley around drainage is made in darkness or by young deer and used as a escape route when a hunters wind reaches em as they approach the ridge. I wouldd love to do throw a observation sit at from as far away as u can see. And let the deer tell u where to set up.

I’d love to do that however there are just a few tree to get a stand in and they are all in the bottoms. On the ground you can t see more than about 20 yards. The only transitions are the creek at the bottom and the very top. It’s all briars and olive bushes. The sign is almost equally good over the whole place...about 80 acres that we have access to which is why I figure to only get a few sits out of it. It is so thick I’d think they could be using any of it in daylight.

Sounds tough I've never hunted a clear cut, I'm sure after the season when u get in there it will be fairly easy to read. If I had to go in a spot basically blind and super thick for good odds of getting a close encounter I would set up on a side hill drainage. Somewhere on that ridge a side drainage will drop down into creek below. Deer paralleling ridge will go up around header.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Spent several years basically 'observing' a property just like the one you describe that is now my primary hunting property and the property i've taken my best buck to date.

Couple of tips...

Spend some time observing activity from the perimeter of the property. The majority of my initial hunts were in observation stands where I could glass into the interior of the property. You need to get up high to be able to accomplish this and, sometimes, even wait until later in the season after foliage drops.

Identify where the best sign appears the most frequently. You may see satellite rubs and scrapes, but they may be hit only at night or randomly during daylight. Key in on cluster activity which has proximity to other sign and bedding.

Scout, Cut access, and set stands in the off season. Major intrusions to the interior of thick areas in the middle of the season can be disastrous depending on the amount of pressure your herd gets. I suggest getting in there immediately post season to cut access to key locations via the use of chain saw, whip with brush blade, or brush hog. Once you've cut some access so you can get to good locations easier then you can setup stands. The first season I hunted my property I did all mobile hunts but because the best spots were thick I wasn't able to setup in the best spots. It took setting up in the off season and cutting access to get me setup in the right locations. And even then another season to adjust stands to put me on the deer I wanted to kill.

Plan on screwing it up a few times before you get it right. No shame in that. I'm not the type of guy to figure out deer movement immediately. It takes me a season or two to figure out a property. While you're doing so you're going to bump and blowout some deer. Just a part of the process.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 pm

mheichelbech wrote:

How about an 8' step ladder instead of a Treestand?

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Good idea.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”