2nd rut hill tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bonehead

2nd rut hill tactics

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:38 am

Do you guys do anything different during the second rut compared to the first rut in hill country ? I’m basically going to be concentrating on leeward ridges with terrain funnels. Any thing else I should consider, as far as settling up during second half?

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: 2nd rut hill tactics

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 am

Yea I would look at a few things differently than peak rut. First is weather, if its cold does will be stacked up around the best food sources. Bucks will be keying in on both the food and if any late doe comes around. Likewise they will be in thicker, more sheltered cover if the weather is colder. So you are looking at buck bedding and travel routes close to doe bedding, just like during the rut, but location is is usually more specific than other times of the year based on hunting pressure, weather and food.

Also maybe other parts of the country are different but I see zero mid day cruising activity during a "second rut." Bucks only get excited if there is a doe in estrus or near estrus close by. Its kinda like playing the lottery. Seek out the biggest doe groups for the highest odds. Other wise its 100% late season bed to food patterns. I have had several crazy awesome late season hunts around hot does though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”