Donating Meat to a Program

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Donating Meat to a Program

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm

How do you guys view donating meat from deer you shoot? Does your opinion change if someone donates all the meat from a deer, or all the meat from multiple deer?

I've had some interesting conversations about this recently, some of which didn't go very well. I'm curious what the group thinks on this.

swampyak
500 Club

Re: Donating Meat to a Program

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 pm

It's there meat they can do what they want as long as it's not wasted. We always have plenty in our freezer. It's basicly all I have ever eaten and all my kids have eaten. With that being said I give some cut up meat to people I feel could use some and I know will use it
I've been surprised at the amount of people that have asked my kids the last couple of years if they eat there deer when they say they shot one. The and set is yes every day. Even non hunters then have good responses st that point
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:46 pm

As long as the animal is utilized, I am all for it. I have some family who shoot deer for the trophy aspect, give it to a (IMO) awful butcher, and then toss the meat in a year or two when it goes bad in their freezer. That bothers me a lot. Wish they would just donate it, or call me up to come take it off their hands before they take it to the butcher. If I won't eat it, I know people who will, or I will make it into sausage that a lot more people will want to eat.

Personally the best part of hunting for me is eating the animal, but I know guys who for some reason just cannot eat venison. Always happy to help them out :L:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

I see I didn't totally answer your question. If the animal is put to go human consumption use and it is legal go for it
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:49 pm

I would say I view them neutrally, case by case kind of thing. I guess if you own land and truly need to kill deer to properly manage land, it is much better than laying them to waste. I suppose the whole altruism behind it is possible, but seems like a convenient excuse to kill purely for the pleasure of it. If you hunt public that doesn't hold tons of deer, or hunt, but just plain don't eat venison, I seriously start questioning motives. I've personally seen cases that were truly charitable/reasonable and I've seen thrill killers abuse the concept, so I try not to paint it with a broad brush.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 pm

I love eating them! I could care less what others do with there's, as long as the meat is utilized!

I could care even less what non-hunters think!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 pm

I had a bunch of meat still when I shot my first buck. We caught a lot of fish this year too so the venison lasted longer. The first person I told, who is also a hunter that I was considering donating all the meat from that animal, his comment kind of surprised me. He said why did you shoot it if you are just going to waste it!? Wth... Clearly he doesn't understand or believe in donating to charity, second response wasn't much better. Just made me wonder what others do. This state has a Program that pays the butcher, and food goes to needy. This is the first time in 50 ish deer I've learned about it and used it.

I have always eaten my own, but I see so many dead on the road even just near home,, so many, it's all just wasted. There are many deer around here, so the population won't be affected much at all. Im sure i could take a few doe and keep some and donate some more. Most responses now are all positive and such, but just having the first couple reactions as not good made me wonder if I had missed something.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Nothing wrong with donating and helping others. It helps feed lots of people. Thank you!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:02 pm

I have mixed feelings, while some donate to indeed help others, the ones who pay and go on those all inclusive hunts and only care about getting the head leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The meat goes to a good cause eithier way I just hate to see a animal killed for nothing more than his rack.And here them say I just want the horns do what u want with the venison.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I have mixed feelings, while some donate to indeed help others, the ones who pay and go on those all inclusive hunts and only care about getting the head leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The meat goes to a good cause eithier way I just hate to see a animal killed for nothing more than his rack.And here them say I just want the horns do what u want with the venison.

Feel pretty similar to Boogie. If you're in an area that needs deer killed and you're already filled up, I think it's a great thing. If you're killing just to kill, its better than leaving it lay or cutting the head off, but I too question the motives in that case a little. Take a camera with if that's the case, or better yet, lend or give someone needy some equipment and take them out.

Wasted meat on any animal is one of my biggest pet peeves in life. Game birds that only get breasted out makes me cringe.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:04 am

I'm not really in favor of the programs - seems like it just gives some folks and excuse to keep on killing when they could be doing something to increase their game.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:30 am

If someone cuts all of the fat, sinew and silver skin off of the meat before they give it away, they are passing along a delicacy, after much hard work involved. A true gift to another human being. On the other hand, if someone has a butcher throw all of that mess up in a grinder, to "feed the hungry", they may feel good about themselves, but they are not doing the recipients of the "meat" any great favor.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 am

hambone wrote:If someone cuts all of the fat, sinew and silver skin off of the meat before they give it away, they are passing along a delicacy, after much hard work involved. A true gift to another human being. On the other hand, if someone has a butcher throw all of that mess up in a grinder, to "feed the hungry", they may feel good about themselves, but they are not doing the recipients of the "meat" any great favor.

I'm a home processing guy, but most respected processing outfits do a pretty good job. After much experimentation, I think the issues with a little fat/silverskin in grind are dramatically overstated, and I'm pretty comfortable with my credentials as far as game chefing goes. Fresh ground vension, even if not completely cleaned, is still WAY WAY WAY better than the crap meat most people eat from big box grocers.
Brick1083

Unread postby Brick1083 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 am

I choose not to hunt what I won't eat. An exception is that a close friend asked me if I could try to harvest an extra deer for them this year.

I know some folks will hunt what they won't eat, regardless. In that case, I am happy that the donation programs exist. However, I don't like the thought that the donation programs may be encouraging more of this behavior.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I have mixed feelings, while some donate to indeed help others, the ones who pay and go on those all inclusive hunts and only care about getting the head leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The meat goes to a good cause eithier way I just hate to see a animal killed for nothing more than his rack.And here them say I just want the horns do what u want with the venison.

I always thought a hunt in Africa would be fun some day until I talked to guys that went and told me they killed 5 animals and didn’t bring any meat back home. A hunt for trophies means nothing to me if I cannot consume the meat.

As far as donating meat I only kill what I can eat in a year and nothing more. If I have excess I don’t mind sharing. Some years my freezer is pretty empty like right now. Maybe I should ask for a donation. :lol:

Nothing wrong with donating deer to people that need it but it always bothered me how many guys did this in the days of unlimited tags just because they got such a thrill out of killing and donated every single deer they shot. I personally know guys that killed 20+ deer back then and this is why we are now in a situation where the deer herd is hurting. These same guys blame it on the DNR. :roll:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”