Donating Meat to a Program

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Donating Meat to a Program

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:07 am

You guys have some good points I hadn't even thought about. Like most things, you will always get a few people to abuse the programs if it helps them in some way. I give some away to family and friends too, but I can eat LOT of fish and venison just myself, and my kids too. If people shoot to just donate in an area with very few deer, I would not be too happy with that either. It's for a good cause but comes at a higher cost as well.

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:32 am

Great comments everyone.

I too like the donation program but agree that some take advantage of it as being a free for all to just keep killing.

My son works at our local food pantry and he tells me all the time the number of requests he gets for venison is staggering and they run out of it often. So we do have people in need who utilize this so good to know program is working in this aspect.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 am

I think it’s a complicated situation. One hand yeah it benefits people, that’s great. On the other I’ve seen animal population be abused so someone could keep killing more, also I think people “are forged in fire”. I’ve never seen anyone grow as a person from a handout. I have however seen people mature and grow from conquering adversity. You wanna see America learn to work again get rid of unemployment, welfare and food stamps. I’m not saying don’t help someone but teach them to fish don’t give them a fish. Personally I’m just not into killing animals I’m not gonna use. I plan on trapping in a few weeks main target beaver because I’ll eat them. Jmo
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 am

I personally don't go hunting unless I'm going to eat it. If someone I know needs meat and is struggling or can't go I'll help them get a deer if I can. I refuse to hunt just to kill something and give it away. I'm all for sharing the wealth but I don't like when people hunt just to kill when there are other hunters who would gladly take the opportunity to harvest that deer and take the meat.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am

cedarsavage wrote:I think it’s a complicated situation. One hand yeah it benefits people, that’s great. On the other I’ve seen animal population be abused so someone could keep killing more, also I think people “are forged in fire”. I’ve never seen anyone grow as a person from a handout. I have however seen people mature and grow from conquering adversity. You wanna see America learn to work again get rid of unemployment, welfare and food stamps. I’m not saying don’t help someone but teach them to fish don’t give them a fish. Personally I’m just not into killing animals I’m not gonna use. I plan on trapping in a few weeks main target beaver because I’ll eat them. Jmo

I like this answer
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Jonny wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:I think it’s a complicated situation. One hand yeah it benefits people, that’s great. On the other I’ve seen animal population be abused so someone could keep killing more, also I think people “are forged in fire”. I’ve never seen anyone grow as a person from a handout. I have however seen people mature and grow from conquering adversity. You wanna see America learn to work again get rid of unemployment, welfare and food stamps. I’m not saying don’t help someone but teach them to fish don’t give them a fish. Personally I’m just not into killing animals I’m not gonna use. I plan on trapping in a few weeks main target beaver because I’ll eat them. Jmo

I like this answer

I used to think they were a great thing. When I was in college I remember one year I lived on 11k. That same year I told my dad I wanted to donate a deer. He looked at me and said “what’s wrong with those people you don’t have any money and you hunted and killed your own deer, why can’t they?” Same year I watched a friend kill 7 does off a 80 acre parcel and give most of them away. He did that a lot of years. I do realize not everyone is that irresponsible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”