Just curious...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Just curious...

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Do you guys who live in Wisconsin get looked "down" upon if you kill a buck in Iowa? Do Iowa guys get looked down upon if they kill a buck outside in Wisconsin? How about Illinois guys who kill bucks in Iowa? How about a Michigan guy that kills a buck in Wisconsin?

OR is it just the "lesser" states that do the looking "down" on?

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Just curious...

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Not in your examples but I always get asked if I got him in West Virginia or Ohio. My Ohio bucks I’ve killed are perceived differently than my WV bucks. I guess since there are more big ones in Ohio people think that anyone can kill a nice one over there.

Probably happens in most border states where there is a difference in deer and how they are managed.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm

I don’t think so. If you kill a good buck with archery gear you did sonething pretty darn special in my book no matter what state you killed it in. There are no gimmies and each state will require plenty of planning and hard work. Even the best states are far from easy.

As far as getting “looked down” upon I really don’t care about what other people think. I hunt for myself and not to please other people.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:17 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:Not in your examples but I always get asked if I got him in West Virginia or Ohio. My Ohio bucks I’ve killed are perceived differently than my WV bucks. I guess since there are more big ones in Ohio people think that anyone can kill a nice one over there.

Probably happens in most border states where there is a difference in deer and how they are managed.

No kidding. Wow. Even bordering states. interesting.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:34 pm

I've never got that impression from other hunters.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm

To be honest its almost the other way around for me. I look up to the guys who go out of state to hunt, and really respect the ones that are successful consistently. Especially on public land.

The only guys I look down on, and that really isn't the wording I would use, are the guys who don't challenge themselves by hunting different states or terrain, and getting better each year. I'm not overly impressed by the guy who only hunts one terrain of one state. He could have one heck of a wall, but I will always wonder, what if he tried hunting a different terrain. Instead of only hunting farm country, what if he really pushed to get better at big woods, or hill country. To me, that is most impressive. Guys who get it done in different terrains and states.

I think there is a perception that some states are easier than others, and that probably is true to an extent due to the management or pressure of one state to the next. But that isn't enough for me to change my impression of the hunt.

But yeah just to repeat what Dewey said, personal satisfaction is what I push for. I gave up trying to impress people, because you never impress everybody. Impressing myself is a much better feeling to be honest.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:47 pm

I'd agree with Dewey and Jonny there's always gunna be haters. If a guy goes out of state or in state and works hard to kill a deer I feel they shouldn't be knocked for that.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:49 pm

While I don't have no interest in hunting out of state I certainly don't frown on those that do. Anyone who can pull off a DIY hunt in a foreign state has my respect. I just can't stand to hear a guy from a lesser state go to one of the big 3, shoot a 2.5 year old that qualifies for P&Y and talk about how easy it is and how they are the real deal. I think it makes them look like a idiot with no class. U know the game if you are successful u r gonna get frowned upon no matter what, you eithier hunt stupid bucks, have the best spot, have more time, illegally bait or poach! Just being a good hunter who puts his time in is never a option.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Nope, anyone who kills a good buck anywhere is doing it right 8-)
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:09 pm

What's the context? First of all, I could see ribbing a good buddy and likewise receiving a good dress-down, but from random acquaintances and internet heroes, I could really give two deuces what they think. Likewise, I suppose in posting exploits publicly, I do so knowing that I am opening myself up to judgement from all manner of idiots.

More specifically, I have done a few hunts in Ohio, and compared to my home state in PA, it is worlds different. Even within PA, there are regional disparities in terrain and antler potential, so yeah, there is some reconciliation that takes place when a buddy shows you a kill photo, but I keep that all to myself and just say "great buck, Buddy!" in just about any situation.

Now I do 95% of my hunting close to home at this stage of my life, and I would be lying I bit if I said I wasn't jealous of the guys that get to travel to multiple states every year, but as long as you are doing it DIY and fair chase, you have my respect.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 pm

I think this goes right along with all of the qualifiers and reasoning you see on the internet and even in person when people kill deer these days. Not my biggest but, he's a good cull buck, he will eat better than an old one, had to take his genetics (usually a 1.5 or 2.5) out of the herd etc. etc. Be proud of what you shoot regardless and if others are proud and happy be happy for them too. If taking a deer doesn't make you proud and happy, don't shoot it. If the only way you can face the world with it is to qualify it, don't shoot, or keep it to yourself.

The same kind of guys that make people feel like they need to qualify their bucks are the same guys who would look down on a good buck from IA, MO, OH, WI, etc. I have no need for people like that around me, but most of them are easy to laugh off at least.

I looked back on live from the field threads this year when I killed my bucks and both times posted I just killed a good one. They were a 90-100 inch 7 and 8 pointer. Couldn't be happier with my year so far. First one was an opening day beast hunt. Second one was my first buck in WI in a while on our family homestead. Shot them in IL and WI, two big buck meccas, look down on me if you must, but do it realizing it won't impact me! This is a hard thing about modern hunting. I actually started to type that my family eats a lot of venison and the areas around me don't have very high doe populations, but realized that in and of itself is a qualifier justifying the deer I shot. The real answer is I like venison and those hunts were also rewarding to me.

We're a hefty minority nd a bit of a dying breeding. Sniping at each other just hastens what is hopefully not an inevitable downfall of our passion.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 am

elk yinzer wrote:What's the context? First of all, I could see ribbing a good buddy and likewise receiving a good dress-down, but from random acquaintances and internet heroes, I could really give two deuces what they think. Likewise, I suppose in posting exploits publicly, I do so knowing that I am opening myself up to judgement from all manner of idiots.

More specifically, I have done a few hunts in Ohio, and compared to my home state in PA, it is worlds different. Even within PA, there are regional disparities in terrain and antler potential, so yeah, there is some reconciliation that takes place when a buddy shows you a kill photo, but I keep that all to myself and just say "great buck, Buddy!" in just about any situation.

Now I do 95% of my hunting close to home at this stage of my life, and I would be lying I bit if I said I wasn't jealous of the guys that get to travel to multiple states every year, but as long as you are doing it DIY and fair chase, you have my respect.

The context? Just curious to see if guys that LIVE in midwest states get the same overall reaction from neighboring states. People here in the Northeast are pretty ignorant about what happens in the rest of the country.

Partially, the ignorance really comes more from not understanding and from watching hunting shows. And part of it is reality. Parts of the country have better deer hunting...I would never call it easier. Its also just human nature to have to qualify everything.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 am

I'll also add that a lot of time when guys "look down" on another for an out of state buck kill many times their mind goes to game farm, high fence, or strictly regulated/managed land that someone pays 10k or more and is nearly "gauranteed" a big buck. That is an entirely different situation than someone going to hunt a public lot of land in another state.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:54 am

A lot of folks travel to hunt out of state - challenge, bigger deer, more deer, etc.

I travel cause I hate deer hunting in FL. Can't figure it out easily and hate that - my days of hunting defining my life have been over for a while. I can go to GA, AL, SC and kill but FL with it's bright hot sun and 80+ degree days in December is definitely more difficult. Might be deer numbers, might be the thicker cover, no idea.

But it does bring the point that many guys have little self confidence and need to put everyone else down to feel better about themselves. I doubt it is a deer perspective as much as a person thing.

I just saw a post where the guy was bragging about not spending any money on hunting and hunting close to home - he was putting down folks who do spend money on hunting and travel. Takes all kinds.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:42 am

I looked down on the guys who came up from Chicago on the last day of gun season and drove all the public land around the farm I hunt. Its public so it is what it is, but still kind of disappointing. They shot about a dozen times and no shots hit there mark, but we havnt seen a deer during the daylight since.

I wish Non resident tags in WI were more expensive. It seems like the state is leaving money on the table there and it would also detract some of that activity.

If some one goes out to Iowa and pays for the tag and has a great hunt more power to them. I cant afford it, and with such great hunting in WI i don't have much desire to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”