Just curious...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Just curious...

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 am

I don't look down on any hunters, but will admit I'm more impressed if someone gets a toad in a place where they are extra rare. Particularly if they do it on public, have a history with it. Which usually means lots of hard work also.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:52 am

I've had some Iowa natives look down at my "trophy" wall. Admittedly, next to theirs, my racks are smaller. Doesn't bother me, I know it's tougher in Northern WI.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:08 am

Ive killed some nice Ct. bucks, my NY friends don't look down on them, Mike
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 am

mspaci wrote:Ive killed some nice Ct. bucks, my NY friends don't look down on them, Mike

Probably because in most peoples minds they consider those places pretty equal...NOW if you are comparing Adirondacks and CT....CT bucks don't count. :lol: :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 am

Distant guys tend to talk down bucks from distant places as "easy" to make there own accomplishments look better. Wish I had a buck for every time someone says anybody could kill bucks like me if they lived in Wisconsin... Anybody who wants to try is welcome to come to S/E Wisconsin and try the public here. It would be fun to watch.

People really need to worry about themselves. Who cares what some guy in a distant place shoots? My favorite is when people try to make themselves look better by saying " If I had every buck I had an opportunity to shoot, my wall would be twice the size of yours" Well, guess what, its not twice the size of mine, and if I had every buck I blew an opportunity on my wall would be 5 times the size it is now...

That's the dark side of being open and sharing your success... A lot of people will say awful things about you. A lot of people will hate you for your success, accuse you of poaching, talk behind your back... At the end of the day, you have to look in the mirror and be happy with the guy looking back. You need to realize that the haters seem to be the majority, but there not, there just the loudest.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 am

When I kill a buck it’s for me. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I’m not looking for praise or anything like that. I’ve passed on a lot of bucks and got ridiculed but at the end of the day I’m the shooter. I hunt for me.
As far as states, not all states are created equal but there’s also not a 150 behind every tree in WI, Iowa, or the Midwest for that matter. Maybe I’m off on this but to look down on a WI guy cause he goes to Illinois or Iowa to shoot a big buck is goofy and messed up. Who cares. As long as he does it legally and in a fair chase environment I’m fine with it and if he shoots a big one more power to him. I wish I could afford to hunt everywhere I want. My wife would never see me though.
Sorry for the rant and getting sidetracked a little.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 am

dan wrote:Distant guys tend to talk down bucks from distant places as "easy" to make there own accomplishments look better. Wish I had a buck for every time someone says anybody could kill bucks like me if they lived in Wisconsin... Anybody who wants to try is welcome to come to S/E Wisconsin and try the public here. It would be fun to watch.

People really need to worry about themselves. Who cares what some guy in a distant place shoots? My favorite is when people try to make themselves look better by saying " If I had every buck I had an opportunity to shoot, my wall would be twice the size of yours" Well, guess what, its not twice the size of mine, and if I had every buck I blew an opportunity on my wall would be 5 times the size it is now...

That's the dark side of being open and sharing your success... A lot of people will say awful things about you. A lot of people will hate you for your success, accuse you of poaching, talk behind your back... At the end of the day, you have to look in the mirror and be happy with the guy looking back. You need to realize that the haters seem to be the majority, but there not, there just the loudest.

Oh I get it. I have heard all of it. Have had lot of it said to me. Others killing big bucks does not always bring out the "joy" in some people. Personally? I just try not think all that highly of my hunting skills. When I start to, I just remind myself there are others out there much more accomplished than I and none of it matters anyway. People in general always seem to appreciate someone who underestimates themselves rather than over estimating.

I was just curious to see if neighboring midwest states ...people held the same wide spread opinions like they do here about deer shot in the midwest.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 am

Secretly Maine all of us Iowa hunters think the rest of the country just doesn't know how to hunt. That is obviously why they don't shoot as big of bucks as us. :lol: JUST KIDDING OBVIOUSLY :lol:

I would refrain from suggesting that most hunters do this. There are a lot of hunters who don't get jealous of success by others. And there are some who do.

I have observed both good and bad attitudes from hunters from every state I know. The opinion depends on the person not the location of the person.

If you are a hater, you are always gonna be a hater no matter if you live in Iowa or Michigan or Florida. If you have that attitude sadly you can always find someone to look down upon.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 am

What about when high dollar outfitted hunts come into play?

Don't shoot me for asking :roll:

Respectful to anyone's choice of a hunt. just curious
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:56 am

I think it's just fine to have personal thoughts on what makes a hunt harder or easier, as long as a sportsman you are respectful of anyone hunting legally and ethically.

All of this is so situational. It's not talking down to say that, pretty consistently, managed private is easier to hunt that public or even high pressure private. It's ok in my book to have those kind of conversations, again, done respectfully.

I also think some good natured regional "conflict" is ok, and natural. Like sports team allegiances. My experience with guys from the NE on the beast is there generally seems to be a little chip on the shoulder based on deer numbers and quality of bucks when compared to the midwest. Same with the south a little. They're probably more or less right. I think it's engaging with the guys on here. Most of us with some experience and a willingness to really try and lean and understand, have a pretty good feel for guys and hunts that get the nod of approval from a beast perspective and those that get a nice buck comment and maybe a little less enthusiastic response. I think the number of pages on some Kill Zone threads and the annual big buck contest results tend to show this a little.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:00 am

JoeRE wrote:Secretly Maine all of us Iowa hunters think the rest of the country just doesn't know how to hunt. That is obviously why they don't shoot as big of bucks as us. :lol: JUST KIDDING OBVIOUSLY :lol:

I would refrain from suggesting that most hunters do this. There are a lot of hunters who don't get jealous of success by others. And there are some who do.

I have observed both good and bad attitudes from hunters from every state I know. The opinion depends on the person not the location of the person.

If you are a hater, you are always gonna be a hater no matter if you live in Iowa or Michigan or Florida. If you have that attitude sadly you can always find someone to look down upon.

Most times, here, its more ignorance than defamatory. Guys here think that the only 200# deer in the county exist here in the northeast.

Outside of northeast, I see more of the debate in the midwest more of a public or private debate. Public or private is not a big deal here. No one shoots a big buck here and calls it a "public land" buck. BUT they definitely make sure you know they are all MAINE bucks if you see someones wall. :D
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 am

Bedbug wrote:What about when high dollar outfitted hunts come into play?

Would depend if it was an outfitted hunt in MI or IA :lol:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:02 am

Kraftd wrote:I think it's just fine to have personal thoughts on what makes a hunt harder or easier, as long as a sportsman you are respectful of anyone hunting legally and ethically.

All of this is so situational. It's not talking down to say that, pretty consistently, managed private is easier to hunt that public or even high pressure private. It's ok in my book to have those kind of conversations, again, done respectfully.

I also think some good natured regional "conflict" is ok, and natural. Like sports team allegiances. My experience with guys from the NE on the beast is there generally seems to be a little chip on the shoulder based on deer numbers and quality of bucks when compared to the midwest. Same with the south a little. They're probably more or less right. I think it's engaging with the guys on here. Most of us with some experience and a willingness to really try and lean and understand, have a pretty good feel for guys and hunts that get the nod of approval from a beast perspective and those that get a nice buck comment and maybe a little less enthusiastic response. I think the number of pages on some Kill Zone threads and the annual big buck contest results tend to show this a little.

Chip on the shoulder. Thats a great way of putting it.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 am

Dewey wrote:I don’t think so. If you kill a good buck with archery gear you did sonething pretty darn special in my book no matter what state you killed it in. There are no gimmies and each state will require plenty of planning and hard work. Even the best states are far from easy.

As far as getting “looked down” upon I really don’t care about what other people think. I hunt for myself and not to please other people.

I agree with Dewey. I live in Wisconsin, which I've always heard talked about as one of the "best deer hunting states" before I moved here. I can tell you first hand that it's still a heck of a challenge to get into big bucks, on public land at least. But I know guys here that hunt private land and I have access to a small piece as well. They haven't been killing anything outlandishly big on their property, great bucks in my book but they wouldn't score Pope and Young or anything. I haven't seen any shooters on the small piece I have access to either aside from some pre-season trail camera pictures. Deer hunting is a challenge no matter where you are as long as it's fair chase. with what other people think.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Bedbug wrote:What about when high dollar outfitted hunts come into play?

Would depend if it was an outfitted hunt in MI or IA :lol:

You beat me to it :lol: :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”