First time sits question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

First time sits question

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 pm

What are the qualities that constitute a first time sit on any particular piece of woods? Is distance away from another stand or spot or hunted or is it being outside the impact zone of a spot you have previously hunted (impact of your hunting a previous spot including access and exit. How much does seeing deer or your target buck have to do with this....or if you didn’t see any deer?

How do you all judge this?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: First time sits question

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

For me it's based off previous history or last seasons trail cams. Say during the cruising phase of the rut there was a 4 day period where I got pics of matures cruising through all with a north wind. I will time that with a first time sit that stacks the most odds during that time period. I would want to sit it first day of cold front, with north wind and I would hunt it all day. If he doesn't come I would hunt it the next day all day then call it quits. But usually in examples like this u only need one crack the problem comes those years u don't get the conditions u need or someone ruined the spot b4 it was ripe for the Pickens.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 am

I've seen deer looking up trees and reacting to hunter scent trails.

A first sit to me is the first time you sit in a sanctuary area. You can get 2 or 3 "first sits" in an area if you space em out enough - say opening weekend, the rut, and late season - the deer doesn't expect you to be there since you have like 6 weeks between visits.

I've also hunted deer on a heavy hunted farm where you had to sit in a diff tree each time you hunted cause the deer would look for folks and then skirt them about 50 yards. It was uncanny the first time I watched a deer walk around me out of bow range and get back on the trail it was originally on.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 am

Rich M wrote:I've seen deer looking up trees and reacting to hunter scent trails.

A first sit to me is the first time you sit in a sanctuary area. You can get 2 or 3 "first sits" in an area if you space em out enough - say opening weekend, the rut, and late season - the deer doesn't expect you to be there since you have like 6 weeks between visits.

I've also hunted deer on a heavy hunted farm where you had to sit in a diff tree each time you hunted cause the deer would look for folks and then skirt them about 50 yards. It was uncanny the first time I watched a deer walk around me out of bow range and get back on the trail it was originally on.

This is partly what I was getting at...how far apart are the stands to be different or fresh??
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:29 am

I'd say first time in. But I did sit one spot twice first sit was a heavy rain making a free sit I believe second sit in spot I saw a buck come out of bedding I think it all depends on conditions.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:53 am

I used to move 20-30 yards between stand locations. Usually to where the deer were moving when I saw them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”