Spot and Stalk Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Spot and Stalk Bucks

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 pm

When you guys are hunting during the rut, have you ever tried to stalk a buck that you see holed up with a doe. Either seeing them as you head to your stand, seeing them while in your stand and getting down and going after them. Or seeing them as you're driving, trying to contact the land owner and going after them. I haven't tried it yet myself but there have been times in the past where I think back and wished I had been more aggressive with my tactics.

9pt
500 Club

Re: Spot and Stalk Bucks

Unread postby 9pt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:17 am

I shot an 8 pt buck this year while still hunting but was keeping my eyes out for any bucks or does that I might see bedded. I happened to see a doe running through the woods and a buck was chasing her that I was able to shoot at on the run. However, I had a particular buck bed in mind that I was still hunting towards and I was going to try to see if there was a buck in that bed that I could stalk in on and hunt. Fortunately I cross pass with the eight point that I ended up taking before I got to the bed.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 am

Many years ago I tried stalking a buck that was mounted on a buck breeding her. I snuck down a tree line for cover but still got busted. The buck was pretty unaware of his surroundings but the doe was still highly alert. In hindsight I would have felt really bad killing that buck while he was so obviously preoccupied. :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:48 am

Dewey wrote:Many years ago I tried stalking a buck that was mounted on a buck breeding her. I snuck down a tree line for cover but still got busted. The buck was pretty unaware of his surroundings but the doe was still highly alert. In hindsight I would have felt really bad killing that buck while he was so obviously preoccupied. :lol:

Thats how id wanna go out! :mrgreen:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:17 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Many years ago I tried stalking a buck that was mounted on a buck breeding her. I snuck down a tree line for cover but still got busted. The buck was pretty unaware of his surroundings but the doe was still highly alert. In hindsight I would have felt really bad killing that buck while he was so obviously preoccupied. :lol:

Thats how id wanna go out! :mrgreen:

As long as you get to finish first. ;)
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:03 am

I tried it a few years ago on a decent 8pt. He was with a hot doe and a fawn, and I had the wind in my favor, so I figured might as well try. I belly crawled for a couple hundred yards and got within 60 yards of the buck, then started grunting. He could not take the grunts and came to investigate, I shot him with the xbow at just over 40 yards. The doe and fawn never saw me. When he started coming towards me I could not believe it was actually going to work, but it did.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”