Blood

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Blood

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

How far did he go??? Hit with a 3006.

Will leave this here a while. No cheating. Will post the rest later.

oldrank

Re: Blood

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Dang man.. you weren't joking. Ive been following your post so won't say total. I bet he wasn't far from where the guy left the track.
Last edited by oldrank on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 pm

One step
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Should mention that pic is a few hours old. The foam had since settled a bit...it was foamy and frothy. A few inches of foam..
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:44 pm

So the entire story.

I met a guy last year. He's not 100% health. Actually had to be rescued twice from the area I hunt. Last year we exchanged numbers and this year we've stayed in touch while we hunt. I check in with him and vice versa.

Today I heard a shot and knew it was him. He said he hit one and had 100yds of blood. I didn't like the sounds of that.

Head over and I jump on the track at POI. Right away I find a couple good sized bone fragments. Watery blood. Anytime I've seen that it's been a leg hit.

Got 150-200yds and found that bed. From POI to that bed blood was easy to follow but mostly steady leaking.

I saw that pile of frothy foamy blood and really didn't think the buck was more than a couple feet away...but I kept tracking. And tracking. And tracking.

Not MY blood trail. I tried giving what IMO would been beneficial advice but did it lightly. It didn't take till it was too late IMO.

After over a HALF mile as a crow flies, I lost it. Just slowly petered out..smaller and smaller drops.. I picked it back up and took it a couple hundred more yards and really lost it. A couple tiny clots and a few specs and that was it.

I am really dumbfounded. I've never seen anything like that big pile of foamy blood.

I've tracked a few wounded deer. Lots of guys know I kinda love a blood trail and I get called. I'm no pro..and by the time I'm called it's already too far boogered up. But I have a few tracks experience.. anytime a deer is even hurting. Not even fatal hits, a solid leg hit etc, they'll stop and wait on you to get close. Leaving either beds or spots where they clearly stood around...

Not this buck. He never stopped other than the big pool.

I don't know what to think. He climbed hills. Crossed countless logs. Under logs. Across swampy wet spots etc.

About 10mins into the track 3 shots rang out. I REALLY thought they were way too far off...but after taking the track to the end, he got pretty dang close to where I'd say the shots came from so maybe someone did finish him off...I don't know.

From what I could gather the buck was near level with the shooter and he claimed dead broadside..but he admitted to rushing the shot and not paying much attention so hard to say.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”