Safety bedding abandoned from Swamp freeze up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bedbug

Safety bedding abandoned from Swamp freeze up

Unread postby Bedbug » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:58 am

I'm walking on ice already guys... As of recently 3-4 days

I've heard Dan and others briefly talk about the deep swamp bedding habits dwindle as the swamp freezes.
But it just seems to soon
As I rotate around some great bedding areas I'm finding awesome sign some No more than a week old. But nothing brand new.
the deer just aren't showing there presence where everything tells me they should be. This surprises me with the amount of recent rut sign I'm seeing and heavy hunting pressure they went through the last 2 weeks (fire arms season) outside of the swamp.
I'm guilty of not paying enough attention to this last year.
Hoping to get your guys opinion on this and what you've witnessed in years past.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Safety bedding abandoned from Swamp freeze up

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:53 am

Probably a little soon, I've seen plenty of big tracks in the swamp after freeze up. Sometimes they are breaking ice and sometimes on top, eventually it will happen but it also depends on your area but there should be time yet, not to mention some gun seasons opening and keeping the pressure up for a while yet. Lots of deer in the bigwoods will winter in the big swamps but that is a different situation than you are talking about so you have to take it area by area.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Safety bedding abandoned from Swamp freeze up

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 am

The only way to know for sure is to check, but if you have ice, and a choice, I would start shifting more towards the swamp edge bedding, or dryer areas of the swamp.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”