How do you make judgements on deer movement?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

How do you make judgements on deer movement?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 am

I think one of the hardest things for newer hunters to do is make judgements or identify what deer are doing or how they are moving based on sign and what they observe.

For the experienced guys here, how do you do that? Is every buck movement done with a purpose that is something a hunter can figure out and set up on?

Does one observation tell you much or does it take multiple observations? This can be next to impossible for some as they simply aren’t able to observe a buck (if at all) enough to figure anything out. Many times there isn’t even enough observable buck sign to make any determination...especially if it has been dry out.

What about does? I know a lot more about what they do because I see them a lot more and can line up what they do with what I’ve read here or other places but still often have trouble discerning why they are doing what they are doing.

It seems to me this is the biggest obstacle to hunter success and maybe it simply is not something everyone can do?? After all, not everyone was able to put together the different things I️t too to discover electricity!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”