Should I report Violations?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Rich M
500 Club
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm
Location: Sunny Florida
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 am

Lockdown wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution. Those that don't report are part of the problem imo.


Yep.


Some might say it is public land - suck it up.


User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32013
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:24 am

Rich M wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution. Those that don't report are part of the problem imo.


Yep.


Some might say it is public land - suck it up.

I don’t want to sound like a jerk but if everybody felt that way and looked the other way I would quit hunting. The guys that actually care make up a great majority of honest hunters who want nothing more than an even playing field for everybody.

I deal with enough jack-wagons in everyday life. I hunt to escape that so you can bet I will do my part to protect the one place I seek solitude from those types. I have no use for liars and cheaters. If you can’t do things the honest way I believe you should suffer the consequences. That’s just me......maybe I’m weird or something.
User avatar
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:08 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 am

Dewey wrote:I don’t want to sound like a jerk but if everybody felt that way and looked the other way I would quit hunting. The guys that actually care make up a great majority of honest hunters who want nothing more than an even playing field for everybody.

I deal with enough jack-wagons in everyday life. I hunt to escape that so you can bet I will do my part to protect the one place I seek solitude from those types. I have no use for liars and cheaters. If you can’t do things the honest way I believe you should suffer the consequences. That’s just me......maybe I’m weird or something.


I agree but I am not willing to endure another state sponsored colonoscopy and being treated like a criminal for doing the right thing. They are on their own now as far as I am concerned and they have no one to blame but themselves.

The DEEP officer literally took ten steps in the direction I told him the gun hunter went and said: " Nope; don't see anything." He then turned around and left.

I applaud you and the others who continue to do the right thing and call it. I've had my fill.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Cuzzinfish
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:36 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 am

Jonny wrote:I don’t. Main reason is I’m not perfect either.

Something like light trimming, or stands left up really don’t bother me. Chainsaws, screw in steps and blatantly illegal does. Even then, remove and toss the steps, poop on bait piles, and make it well known somebody was there does enough for me.

Regardless of legality, I have zero issue with guys putting a stand up, leaving it up over night to hunt the next day, and cutting small stuff for shooting lanes doesn’t phase me. It’s so common it’s not worth getting bothered



This is nit picky but why doesn’t trimming bother you but screw in steps do bother you?
Cuzzinfish
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:36 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 am

By the way, I report what I see and take home any garbage I find. I believe in leaving it better than I found it.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32013
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I don’t want to sound like a jerk but if everybody felt that way and looked the other way I would quit hunting. The guys that actually care make up a great majority of honest hunters who want nothing more than an even playing field for everybody.

I deal with enough jack-wagons in everyday life. I hunt to escape that so you can bet I will do my part to protect the one place I seek solitude from those types. I have no use for liars and cheaters. If you can’t do things the honest way I believe you should suffer the consequences. That’s just me......maybe I’m weird or something.


I agree but I am not willing to endure another state sponsored colonoscopy and being treated like a criminal for doing the right thing. They are on their own now as far as I am concerned and they have no one to blame but themselves.

The DEEP officer literally took ten steps in the direction I told him the gun hunter went and said: " Nope; don't see anything." He then turned around and left.

I applaud you and the others who continue to do the right thing and call it. I've had my fill.

Bob

I think that warden should have been reported to his bosses. That kind of behavior should never be tolerated. They are working for us and respect goes a long way to earning our trust. We can make their jobs so much easier if they work with those of us who actually care.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32013
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 am

Dewey wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I don’t want to sound like a jerk but if everybody felt that way and looked the other way I would quit hunting. The guys that actually care make up a great majority of honest hunters who want nothing more than an even playing field for everybody.

I deal with enough jack-wagons in everyday life. I hunt to escape that so you can bet I will do my part to protect the one place I seek solitude from those types. I have no use for liars and cheaters. If you can’t do things the honest way I believe you should suffer the consequences. That’s just me......maybe I’m weird or something.


I agree but I am not willing to endure another state sponsored colonoscopy and being treated like a criminal for doing the right thing. They are on their own now as far as I am concerned and they have no one to blame but themselves.

The DEEP officer literally took ten steps in the direction I told him the gun hunter went and said: " Nope; don't see anything." He then turned around and left.

I applaud you and the others who continue to do the right thing and call it. I've had my fill.

Bob

I think that warden should have been reported to his bosses. That kind of behavior should never be tolerated. They are working for us and respect goes a long way to earning our trust. We can make their jobs so much easier if they choose to work with those of us who actually care. Just like any line of work you always have some bad apples that spoil the rest.
User avatar
Rutnstrut
500 Club
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: West Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am

Dewey wrote:
Rich M wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:You are either part of the problem, or part of the solution. Those that don't report are part of the problem imo.


Yep.


Some might say it is public land - suck it up.

I don’t want to sound like a jerk but if everybody felt that way and looked the other way I would quit hunting. The guys that actually care make up a great majority of honest hunters who want nothing more than an even playing field for everybody.

I deal with enough jack-wagons in everyday life. I hunt to escape that so you can bet I will do my part to protect the one place I seek solitude from those types. I have no use for liars and cheaters. If you can’t do things the honest way I believe you should suffer the consequences. That’s just me......maybe I’m weird or something.


Not weird at all Dewey, I'm the same way and I'm not weird;) People that think like us do seem to be the minority now days though.
User avatar
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:08 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 am

Dewey wrote:I think that warden should have been reported to his bosses. That kind of behavior should never be tolerated. They are working for us and respect goes a long way to earning our trust. We can make their jobs so much easier if they work with those of us who actually care.


I agree. I chose not to as I didn't feel anything would be accomplished and that it would be a waste of my time and energy.

A week or two later a friend of mine was checked in the same area by a different warden. My friend related my experience and the warden just rolled his eyes and said :" Oh yea, that was the kid."

I know that they aren't all like that. I have been checked more than a few times in 35 years of hunting.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
User avatar
Jonny
500 Club
Posts: 5175
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 am
Location: In a van down by the river
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 am

Cuzzinfish wrote:
Jonny wrote:I don’t. Main reason is I’m not perfect either.

Something like light trimming, or stands left up really don’t bother me. Chainsaws, screw in steps and blatantly illegal does. Even then, remove and toss the steps, poop on bait piles, and make it well known somebody was there does enough for me.

Regardless of legality, I have zero issue with guys putting a stand up, leaving it up over night to hunt the next day, and cutting small stuff for shooting lanes doesn’t phase me. It’s so common it’s not worth getting bothered



This is nit picky but why doesn’t trimming bother you but screw in steps do bother you?


Trimming IMO does nothing to harm the forest provided you aren't cutting anything bigger than 1-2". I never have had a warden ask about my small pocket saw, but I have seen them hand out tickets to guys walking in carrying a chain saw. So again, I don't see the big deal with cutting a couple limbs to help you get a shot. And again like many have said, if you are cutting limbs, you are overhunting the spot 95% of the time. First you went in (normally during the season) and cut the limbs. Then how many guys are going to do all that work to only hunt it once? Most hunt it all season. So really it just shows me the spot is not worth my time.

Then again, I also have benefited from a couple strategic limb cuttings. Do I go and cut every limb? Absolutely not. But one limb that opens up a lane to a worn down trail, that otherwise I couldn't shoot? I'm sorry but it's getting cut off, and I don't expect others to leave it, waste a hunt because they can't shoot, just to follow a dumb rule. I think they should change it to allow for cutting anything less than 1" in diameter. Because when they log, all the limbs get left to rot anyways.

Screw in steps really wreck things. I have seen logging equipment hit a tree full of screw in steps. Quick way to get somebody hurt, and rack up a big mechanic bill. Plus I don't see them as a safe climbing method, and I just don't see the need for them on public land. Plus, they usually are left up to claim a spot, which 9 out of 10 times turns into a big argument because somebody has been hunting there for the last 40 years and heaven forbid anybody come near their spot. (Lots of experience with this)

The only call I have ever made was to report a guy with an illegal bait, knocked down a berm so he could drive to his stand, and who clearly chainsawed multiple trees in the 8-12" diameter range. The guy has been hunting that spot the last 2 years after I called so obviously nothing was done about the call. Kind of gave up at that point.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
matt1336
500 Club
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 pm

I have no idea how someone that hangs and hunts with the LW gear, climber or whatever can get away with not trimming branches. How do you do it? If your going to say that you’ve never broke a branch, sawed a branch or trimmed a branch to get up a tree or fit your stand in a tree- im gonna have a hard time believing you. I think most wardens will use common sense when they determine the severity of the offense...if it’s even an offense in this case. I think I’m safe with trimming with the hand shears that I carry with me
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32013
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 pm

matt1336 wrote:I have no idea how someone that hangs and hunts with the LW gear, climber or whatever can get away with not trimming branches. How do you do it? If your going to say that you’ve never broke a branch, sawed a branch or trimmed a branch to get up a tree or fit your stand in a tree- im gonna have a hard time believing you. I think most wardens will use common sense when they determine the severity of the offense...if it’s even an offense in this case. I think I’m safe with trimming with the hand shears that I carry with me

It can be done. If it’s a dead branch I have snapped it off but I don’t cut any limbs with a saw. I do tie some back with rope for clearance and remove the rope when done. Not having a clear shot has cost me a bunch of deer over the years. It’s all part of the game when hunting on public land. Outside a few light scrape marks on the tree from my stand/sticks there is zero trace left behind that I hunted there.
Rich M
500 Club
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm
Location: Sunny Florida
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 am

Rutnstrut wrote:Not weird at all Dewey, I'm the same way and I'm not weird;) People that think like us do seem to be the minority now days though.


The folks who actually follow the rules are the minority these days.

I'll stick with the report serious stuff and not worry about someone's stand, trimmed limbs, scent-free railroad track access route or parking style. Life's too short.

A note - We seem to have a split on here. It also seems to stem from negative encounters with the LEOs. :think:
Rich M
500 Club
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm
Location: Sunny Florida
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:27 am

matt1336 wrote:I have no idea how someone that hangs and hunts with the LW gear, climber or whatever can get away with not trimming branches. How do you do it? If your going to say that you’ve never broke a branch, sawed a branch or trimmed a branch to get up a tree or fit your stand in a tree- im gonna have a hard time believing you. I think most wardens will use common sense when they determine the severity of the offense...if it’s even an offense in this case. I think I’m safe with trimming with the hand shears that I carry with me


Dan mentioned breaking a dead branch that was poking him in the back - spooked the deer.

As with everything, the trimming laws are to keep people from doing major clearing - it got turned into "any" cutting due to folks looking for stuff to point fingers at.

Don't expect a LEO to use common sense - the law is written as black or white - you were speeding or you weren't - there is no room for interpretation. Do they ticket for going 1 mph too fast? NO. Can they? yes. All depends on if the LEO wants to make an impression on you or if Dewey and Rut have both called you in with complaints that you trimmed a tree limb.
matt1336
500 Club
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am
Status: Offline

Re: Should I report Violations?

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:57 am

Rich M wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I have no idea how someone that hangs and hunts with the LW gear, climber or whatever can get away with not trimming branches. How do you do it? If your going to say that you’ve never broke a branch, sawed a branch or trimmed a branch to get up a tree or fit your stand in a tree- im gonna have a hard time believing you. I think most wardens will use common sense when they determine the severity of the offense...if it’s even an offense in this case. I think I’m safe with trimming with the hand shears that I carry with me


Dan mentioned breaking a dead branch that was poking him in the back - spooked the deer.

As with everything, the trimming laws are to keep people from doing major clearing - it got turned into "any" cutting due to folks looking for stuff to point fingers at.

Don't expect a LEO to use common sense - the law is written as black or white - you were speeding or you weren't - there is no room for interpretation. Do they ticket for going 1 mph too fast? NO. Can they? yes. All depends on if the LEO wants to make an impression on you or if Dewey and Rut have both called you in with complaints that you trimmed a tree limb.


I agree Rich, common sense isn’t so common. So having confidence in a LEO not to ticket me for trimming a few branches is taking a risk. Thats a risk I guess I’m willing to take.
I also agree that if they said you can trim within reason (again using common sense). People would be using chainsaws to clear shooting lanes.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tribute80 and 17 guests