BigwoodsMN 2017

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: BigwoodsMN 2017

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:48 am

Nice northern bucks!

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Great write up bigwoods. Congrats to all, your wife, your dad, your friend, and yourself. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Wow, what a cool year for you Bigwoods and family.

Congratulations on some real dandy bucks!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Great write up bigwoods. Congrats to all, your wife, your dad, your friend, and yourself. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Lou - I still need to Stealth Strip my Cabela's Tundra hip boots! Another hunter had done it with his before a moose hunt. Would make them more durable too.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Good stuff.....congrats! :clap:
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:51 am

I punched my tag and started jabbering about our amazing season.

I love deer hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLPK0nYtMU
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 am

Congrats! :clap:
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:52 am

Hey Bigwoods, do you weigh your deer? I only ask because it seems like a lot of midwest hunters don't, but those look like some solid bodied bucks. Congrats on the great season.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am

Hi-

One thing I've learned is we are bad guessers on weight and so now we're weighing them all.

The deer in the video didn't even crack 200. It was pretty poor though the more I look at it. It was pretty run down.

My wife's went 198 but if we had weighed it the first night it would have had a few more pounds and she would have won the rifle.

My dad's deer went 240 last year dressed and he won a rifle.

We just got into weighing deer more recently... like the guys with the Green License Plates :D
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:43 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:Hi-

One thing I've learned is we are bad guessers on weight and so now we're weighing them all.

The deer in the video didn't even crack 200. It was pretty poor though the more I look at it. It was pretty run down.

My wife's went 198 but if we had weighed it the first night it would have had a few more pounds and she would have won the rifle.

My dad's deer went 240 last year dressed and he won a rifle.

We just got into weighing deer more recently... like the guys with the Green License Plates :D

A rifle for the heaviest deer huh? I like that idea. The green plates are good with pounds but our skill in inches is lacking...One of these days you'll see my green plates out there stomping around. Northern MN in November calls my name...
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:02 am

bigwoodsmn how did you guys do in Ontario this year?
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 am

Kokes wrote:bigwoodsmn how did you guys do in Ontario this year?

Hi Kokes -- Not good. There was knee high snow. I gave it 100% effort but wore myself out. I tracked only 2 bucks worth tracking in 7 days, and one was marginal. One was a very good buck at least with regard to its rack. It made a big rub in front of me with tine marks ticking high on the tree indicating a big main beam. I was within 100 yards at one point. I tried to grunt him back because I was running out of time and the snow was deep. After 45 minutes I got back on his track and got to where I could see he stood and watched his back track. But he never came toward me. I guess he wasn't interested in confronting another buck. Anyway he walked off unalarmed. Unfortunately I ran out of daylight. They need one or two more winters where the deer aren't devastated by snow. Then maybe it will be better. I'm not going to lie. It was rough and a little defeating. I wanted to pound another one! I always have a nice time hunting with my dad. It's a hunt the two of us do together. Hunt all day and then go out to dinner in the evenings. Hard to complain. But I came home tired mentally and physically.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
Kokes wrote:bigwoodsmn how did you guys do in Ontario this year?

Hi Kokes -- Not good. There was knee high snow. I gave it 100% effort but wore myself out. I tracked only 2 bucks worth tracking in 7 days, and one was marginal. One was a very good buck at least with regard to its rack. It made a big rub in front of me with tine marks ticking high on the tree indicating a big main beam. I was within 100 yards at one point. I tried to grunt him back because I was running out of time and the snow was deep. After 45 minutes I got back on his track and got to where I could see he stood and watched his back track. But he never came toward me. I guess he wasn't interested in confronting another buck. Anyway he walked off unalarmed. Unfortunately I ran out of daylight. They need one or two more winters where the deer aren't devastated by snow. Then maybe it will be better. I'm not going to lie. It was rough and a little defeating. I wanted to pound another one! I always have a nice time hunting with my dad. It's a hunt the two of us do together. Hunt all day and then go out to dinner in the evenings. Hard to complain. But I came home tired mentally and physically.

Sounds like a great time regardless... wolves and coyotes have been getting progressively worse in Ontario as well...hope you have better luck next year!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”