Rumors of early lockdown

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Rumors of early lockdown

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 pm

Jay Gregory was on facebook live this morning talking about them being in full blown lockdown right now. Said everything really seems to be early this year. He is watching mature bucks breeding does.

Interesting. I just landed in ne yesterday. Hunting public land much of the stuff I have never been on.

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Rumors of early lockdown

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:39 pm

My brother seen a mature buck last night. There will always be some locked down but not all of them. Glad to hear you've arrived safely in NE. Good luck. We look forward to hearing the details.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Jay Gregory was on facebook live this morning talking about them being in full blown lockdown right now. Said everything really seems to be early this year. He is watching mature bucks breeding does.

Interesting. I just landed in ne yesterday. Hunting public land much of the stuff I have never been on.

Maine, I almost came up and bought a NE tag and was going to hit public until the guns started blazing on the 11th! Decided to stay here though and hunt stuff I have scouting knowledge of. Plus, I was only going to have 5 days maybe. Still a bargain hunt really at their OTC prices.

Best of luck to you man! I'll be watching for updates
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 am

As far as lockdown happening already, it's all early rut action here in NW missouri that I've seen and heard about.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:23 am

There was talk of lockdown last year at the same time yet the kills started piling up like usual Nov 1-Nov 5. Every year we get a few does going into early estrus the last week of October and the chasing frenzy starts then pauses for a bit. This year the big cold front really kicked it into gear. A bulk of the does are not ready around here till the first week of November. That’s a constant that never seems to vary much no matter what the experts say. A lot more guys will be out this weekend and the kills will happen. Count on it.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:28 am

People say that every year. I’m surprised that a celeb like Jay would put that out there. The rut is so sporadic from area to area
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:47 am

I kicked one up when walking back in that was locked down with a doe (small briar patch) this past Monday. 140" caliber buck. That was in SE Wisconsin. No doubt its happening but not all the deer have.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:04 am

I'm actually seeing a lock down in nw mo with a few of my buddies MO...
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:44 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:My brother seen a mature buck last night. There will always be some locked down but not all of them. Glad to hear you've arrived safely in NE. Good luck. We look forward to hearing the details.

Exactly! We hear the same thing every year it seems. The bell curve is such that a few does always go into heat a little early, the majority go into heat around the same time, and a few go late. Every year it’s the same thing. It all depends on what individuals are seeing going on in their neck of the woods that drives their their “predictions”. Guys get way too worked up over this stuff. Just ride it out and play the game. Your opportunity will come.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:37 am

matt1336 wrote:People say that every year. I’m surprised that a celeb like Jay would put that out there. The rut is so sporadic from area to area

Ya like the rut happens all at once everywhere :lol: I mean in a way it does but you better be talking about a 2-4 week stretch or you just sound dumb to those that know better.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 am

Here in NC, I’ve seen bucks chasing does from October 25th to January 9th.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 am

Ive seen a doe bred as early as september 23rd and bred as late as january 19th. But when it come to "the rut", the rut happens at the exact same time every year. In a nutshell it starts around the end of october/first of November and lasts about 30-35 days. Some day and some weeks are better than others. Sometimes ypu hit it right in your area and sometimes you dont. There's no such thing as an early rut or a late rut. Scientifically an early rut and late rut makes zero sense.

There are guys on here and around the world that have more time and experience than I and maybe they've seen something different but in 25 years of bowhunting the rut has occurred at the exact same time every single year. And still just like it was 25 years ago, despite weather conditions or whatever, the best weeks are still the days surrounding Halloween and November 15-22 to this very day. Fawns pop up at the exact same time every year not sporadically. Might be a few stragglers that are born late or early but its just one of those things, there is a small numbe, very small number of does in every area that come in earlier and later than the vast majority. Also I've never seen a single factor other than heat affect the rut. And really the only affect heat has on it is it pushed the majority of rut behavior to night time.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Challenger
Facebook: No Drama Here

Unread postby Challenger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:11 pm

I saw a 130s class buck at 10am walking in a golden rod field and around 40 does with a few small bucks not even pushing any of the does about 5pm. I have also seen a little chasing but the bucks are still roaming.
2014 E35
1973 Challenger
Public Land Hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”