From climber to hang-on and sticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: From climber to hang-on and sticks

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 am

I went from an API climber to Lone Wolf (now XOP) in a few hours. Bought the stand and sticks, watched a video, then practiced (using a lineman belt) several times in the daylight. If you take your time set up is easy, even in the dark

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 am

Ragingun wrote:
WISCOANDY wrote:
Jhand wrote:What I found to help make everything easier is using a lineman belt. It allows you to use both hands when setting up the sticks and stand.

I went mobile this year, and found it easy. Used a lineman belt for the first time and it's amazing. Makes it very easy. I only wish I had talons, because I am still up-down up-down to get set up. Adds a few minutes but I'm still quiet, just more movement than I'd like.

Simply tie small paracord to each side of your harness making a loop then and hang the sticks on them. This way you have two hanging on you no hands needed, put the first stick on the tree and carry the second stick in your hand to place above the first. Now just reach down and grab the sticks out of the ropes.

I did this for a year before finally getting talons. It works just have to go slow and watch your movement or the sticks on your harness can bang against the ones on the tree. I prefer talons over doing this method
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:34 am

It’s an easy switch as long as you practice and take your time. It is far better to go slow and be quiet than to go fast and have your buckle hit a stick or drop something. I used a climber for years, sold it after one season of having the stand and sticks. It is heavier but gives you a lot more options and I actually feel safer in my hang on.
johnsoninc86

Unread postby johnsoninc86 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 am

I made the switch from a Summit climber to a XOP hang on and sticks, but still use both. Early and late season bow hunting near bedding- I take the hang on and sticks. Gun in my hand for rifle season and I usually prefer to take the climber. Climber is way more comfortable. Hang on gets in any tree super quiet. The key, like everyone else said, is a good harness- I use a rock climbing harness, linemans rope setup. I run two linemans ropes, allows me to stay hooked up at all times and work hands free. Spend some time and silence everything, stealth strips are great, wrap w/ paracord, etc... I would say practice a couple times in the backyard, but then, take it to the woods. Just be sure to take your time, give yourself 20-30 minutes to set up the first couple times. You should be able to cut that down to 5-10 minutes fairly quickly. Good luck!
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:32 am

Jhand wrote:I did this for a year before finally getting talons. It works just have to go slow and watch your movement or the sticks on your harness can bang against the ones on the tree. I prefer talons over doing this method

Agreed. I now have the talons and it does seem to work better.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:41 am

I never bought a good climber but had a heavy one for quite a while - worked well.

Then I switched to ladders - this is my preferred stand.

Then I got a Millennium M100U. This is a good stand. Have some welded sticks and they work great. 3 sticks straight up gets me to about 15 feet. Hanging the sticks and climbing isn't an issue - it is the buckles and stuff pinging off the metal. Stealth Strips seem to be the way to go. First time I hung it, took about 5 minutes - I went up and down for the 3 sticks, pulled the stand up, pulled my pack and ML up.

We used to use the original lock-ons and screw in steps - 1 trip up, screwing your way up the tree with stand on back, set stand, pull bow/gun up, hunt, reverse process. I don't know if I could get out of the Millennium shoulder straps with 1 hand hanging on.

I like the welded sticks but they do weigh 4# each. Rock solid.

The stand is 12#, receiver about 2# and 3 sticks at 12# - figured out that I need new shoulder straps, a lower back protector, and maybe a belt to adjust weight on hips. Walked about 1.25 miles thru cypress swamp and it got heavy & uncomfortable.
adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

Unread postby adelle26 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 am

Just found a set of 4 lone wolf sticks used once (they look new) in a local online classified for $150. Thinking I should buy them?! Then I will just buy my Alpha treestand brand new.
I love my climber but I’m sold on the sticks and hang-on for more choices of trees where a climber can’t go.
wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 am

adelle26 wrote:Just found a set of 4 lone wolf sticks used once (they look new) in a local online classified for $150. Thinking I should buy them?! Then I will just buy my Alpha treestand brand new.
I love my climber but I’m sold on the sticks and hang-on for more choices of trees where a climber can’t go.

For sticks that is a good price. For the stand I would never buy new. Used ones are every where if you are patient. Only way I’d buy new is if I had to have one right away, which is why I have 2 stands 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 am

Started with ladder stands then graduated to a summit climber. They are unreal comfy but the lack of useable trees especially when being mobile got frustrating. The summit was also bulky and clanked on branches etc. I now own both lone wolf hang-on and the climber. Both have their place and both are great investments.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm

I made the switch this year, partially. I believe my Summit will always have its place for lengthy rut sits. I 'practiced' about once every other week throughout summer to get feeling comfortable with a lineman's belt and getting up the tree silently in one trip. First couple times in the dark were still a bit of a firedrill. Did about 15 sits with it this year and it is just getting to that second nature phase.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”