Still hunters on public.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Still hunters on public.

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:05 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I have done a lot of still and ground hunting since 09. Why 09? I had a xbow fall in my lap and they first became legal in Michigan that year. I always sucked at bowhunting, never could pick the right tree, but since finding dan and his methods in 08, and not having a lot of scouting time, I started thinking I would turn archery season into what I do a lot of in gun season- still hunt.

I had a lot of success shooting deer (not big bucks) this way. And was really creeping thickets (in season scouting to me). I was finding I was getting closer to deer than I thought I could. Once I even walked up on a coyote at 35 yards. It was closer than 40 because I put the 40 yard dot on it and sailed just over the back.

What I like to do, is creep around slow and quiet in areas I think are bedding. If you are slow and quiet enough, I found many deer stand up and look at you. At that point, never jerk the weapon into place. Just relax and say hi, tell the deer to stay calm and gently put it on them and shoot. Many times they fall over. Sometimes I missed, but not at first.

I gained a lot of confidence in this method, more so than just sitting in a tree hoping a deer would walk by (remember I dont scout much).

A few things I learned and do:
-If you are not completely exhausted from walking slow and quiet, you are not trying hard enough
-I do pay attention to wind, but sometimes, especially with swirls, you have to ignore. This is what can stand them up from their bed
- I agree that when hunting this way, any deer is earned, however I did shoot a few dink bucks
- it is very tiresome, oh, I already said that
- when I do see another hunter I do back out. I have probably helped them more than I hurt them, but I am sure some that saw me weren't happy
- hunting is to be enjoyed in your way. If you aren't enjoying it, do something different

One thing I learned is if you are walking and see a deer, you normally stop. If you don't have a lane, walk forwards or backwards, but don't change your direction. Missed a doe a few years back at the end of season. Saw her and stopped, no lane. Backed right up on the same path, and stopped when I had a lane. Lifted up the rifle, and missed. Huge doe too. Looked like a cow

I've walked right by deer bedded on the trail and they never jump. But man they do fly once you change direction.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:34 am

Still hunting / stalking has always been my favorite method of hunting. I'll spend time in a stand, but I much prefer being on the ground. I can't sit still very long.
I have closed the distance of over 100 yards to within shooting range with a bow on two bucks now, and close to a third. None were mature.
I just started this year on public land for the first time, swamp & Marsh areas, I had a blast stalking through the cat tails, and bumped a couple of deer.
I've passed by a few stands and when I see a hunter I back out and go around. I've probably p.o.'d a few people that I didn't see, but it is what it is. Public land.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 am

cedarsavage wrote:I’m doing it more and more I used to treat it like a joke. Now im seeing it’s an effective tool especially with a rifle. I can’t speak for big bucks but deer in general aren’t as sensitive to sticks breaking etc. as I thought.

They aren't, but the dang squirrels sure are!!
The forest will be a cacophony of alarms once one squirrel pegs you

On a side note though, after a short spell I've noticed even deer "tune" them out
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 am

My favorite subject. It's the only way I hunt. Still hunting is a solo way to hunt. Hunting with a bud is too much movement and noise. I'm lucky to be in a state with lot's of public land so I can be alone all the time. Colorado has 23 million acres of public land. It's not hard to find solitude.

I can see how it would be hard if I had to hunt in land that a lot of tree stand hunters were using. I don't know anybody who uses a treestand here. We're almost all on the ground here. The vast majority are spot and stalk hunting. A few of us are still hunting. For elk hunting most are calling. I've never met anybody else who doesn't call, but still hunts elk too like me. I'm sure there are some.

I give you guys credit who can sit in a stand all day. I can't even sit long enough to eat my lunch. I have to keep moving. Even if it is at a snails pace.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 am

Good ideas and opinions...personally would find it very hard w/bow, but firearms make sense. Guys I hunt with (relatives) only sit in ladderstands. Dont understand that. I was mobile this year and plan to hit the swamps next year. We'll see if I get more chances...Its tough in the Northwoods, you have to earn your luck w/ work.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 am

You can do it with a bow. It doesn't take any more movement to pull a bow than it does to shoulder a muzzleloader. My range is under 50yds. Mostly much less. Similar to a bow.

You have to be able to stay frozen for long periods if the game is looking at you and only move when it isn't.
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 am

Still hunting is my favorite way to hunt whitetails for sure! But only when conditions are right. I don't even try unless the wind is blowing or there is some snow or rain. I like to bring a small stool and sit along pinch points and close to bedding areas. I also still hunt from treestand to treestand. I have a big national forest to roam, I don't think I would still hunt much in areas with a lot of stand hunters tho.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 pm

This last season on Halloween on public land there was a few inches of wet snow on the ground with some light fog. I was able to stalk silently through the woods undetected. Could have killed two spike bucks from the ground that morning. Could be the rut that made those encounters happen but I think still hunting with archery equipment on pressured land can be very effective under certain conditions. Going slow is crucial.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”