Cougar

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dubbs

Cougar

Unread postby dubbs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:00 pm

I hunt in southern MN and a couple weeks ago my dad saw a cougar on the property that we hunt. He reported it to the DNR and they didn't seem too surprised that he saw one. They said it was probably a young male passing through the area, as they can travel long distances looking for their own territory. We thought it was kind of cool and didn't think much of it. Now a few weeks later we have noticed that we aren't seeing nearly as many deer as the last couple years. Usually we would see at least one deer per sit, but this year we have had several sits with no deer sighted. Last night we heard about a cougar sighting a couple miles north of us and it got us thinking about the lack of deer sightings this season. It's all speculation and there could be other reasons, but do you think the presence of a single cougar would be enough to keep deer off the property? Anyone else have any experience hunting where a cougar has been hanging out?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Cougar

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:53 pm

usually the young cougars just pass right thru. I doubt it had an impact. A friend on mine got a picture of one on his trail cam last week in Warrens Wisconsin. He decided not to call the DNR, and would rather they did not snoop around his property and screw up his deer hunting.
brancher147
500 Club

Re: Cougar

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:23 am

Cougars don't hang out. If it's a young male it's probably long gone. Even if it were to stick around, there home ranges are so large, I wouldn't think you would notice much different with your deer hunting.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”