Advice for tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Advice for tonight

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:31 am

Had a crazy am hunt. Got busted by a doe in the way in. She got down wind and blew and stomped for like 10 min. Thought my day was over before it started at about 5:00 am. But I got in a tree any. This was a spot I went into blind. Wind is very light and variable. Didn't want to go to my better spots with the wind like this. Anyway I ended up seeing 3 shooter bucks around 8:00 am. One was a a really nice buck. He was going into what I had suspected was a bedding area based on aerial photos. He never gave me a shot opportunity. In the process of getting into the bedding I think he winded me. He didn't bust out but he paused for a min and did that smell the sky thing, then continued in and I suspect is bed down in the swamp I was against.The wind is generally favorable but variable in direction now. So I'm going to sneak out at this point. My question is do I come back for the evening knowing he winded me? Wind is forecast to do more of the same. If I get closer it would be a really aggressive high risk type of move in this wind. Heay not come out the same way, may wait until after dark, etc but how often do you get Intel like this where you actually see the buck go into the bedding area?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Advice for tonight

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 am

Absolutely give it a shot, you have 100% confirmation of where he is bedding. Do you best to get a little closer without getting busted, maybe the wind changes but it is worth going back. Look for a thermal in the area, it might pull to the buck but it might be enough to pull your scent away from him if the wind dies down.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:49 am

I'd dive in if it was me, u know he is there u had a visual of him going there. Did he go to the bed that u believe is there? We don't know but there is a chance and that's a chance I'd be willing to take. If u did not see him in the am then I'd say switch ur game plan but knowing what u seen in the am go for it
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:26 am

I went after him. He sent in his wife and 2 kids and never showed up. Ah well. Time to move on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”