Moving high mid-morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Moving high mid-morning

Unread postby JonNc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 am

I think this has been covered some, but want to see what most guys do. In ridge country, do you hunt low until 8am or whenever the thermals rise then move your location closer to the top of the hill for the rest of the day to take advantage of thermals?

I guess I hate the thought of moving around mid-morning in fear of spooking deer. Does the benefit outweigh the risk?

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Moving high mid-morning

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:39 am

I see deer high all the time at 7 AM...I guess I am confused why you are starting low if you think the deer are up high? Morning hunts aren't like evening hunts to me. Evening hunts have that buildup to the magic hour. I feel like morning rut hunts I see deer consistently from sunup until 11 or so, or when it heats up. Psychologically the thought that Mr. Big is going to pass through will I am piddling around moving would just kill me. Seems like overthinking to me.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 am

That's too much work for me.

I setup where I think the deer are heading. It doesn't matter where he is at 7am if I can kill him where he will be at 9am.

I would sleep in and just hunt high before moving all over the place every few hours.

Not saying it can't work.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 am

That's too much work for me.

I setup where I think the deer are heading. It doesn't matter where he is at 7am if I can kill him where he will be at 9am.

I would sleep in and just hunt high before moving all over the place every few hours.

Not saying it can't work.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:29 am

If I am hunting up high and do not expect deer until mid morning I sometimes go in later after daybreak and sleep in. But I hunt where I think the deer will be, I would not move mid morning based on thermals. If I hunt low I setup based on rising thermals if that is what is going to happen where I am sitting, and hunt all morning. Thermals will rise much earlier on an east or south facing ridge than a west or north facing ridge, so you have to consider that also.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”