Opinions-push or play it safe?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

Opinions-push or play it safe?

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 pm

I get off work around 4. Rarely before but usually close...I can be to my hunting area in 15 minutes. By the time I change and start moving its 425ish. Sunset is at 655. I have several options-hang a prehung set with a decoy on a field edge with standing beans (10 acre field)-could be set easily by 5. Or, push to a secluded clover plot that has rubs/scrapes all over it have to hang/hunt this one and prob be at least 530 set here. Winds good for both. Temps dropping 20 degrees from now till then.

Part of me thinks Im gonna bump deer going to option 2, but I dont think I will bump the target bucks. However, right now does are a good thing to have around. Creek access for both with winds 12-15 mph.

Bucky

Re: Opinions-push or play it safe?

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Progressive aggression... I'd start outside and work in. A parallel trail to a field edge is a good spot right now
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Don't forget about a ground hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Stanley wrote:Don't forget about a ground hunt.

X2
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Go for it. I've had some great 1 hour hunts after work!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Sounds like you are pushed for time for sure. My advice...Try it but don't be in a hurry to get to your stand, you never know what you could run into on your way in this time of year. I agree with others, depending on terrain/wind, it may make sense to try a ground hunt if there is no time to hang and hunt. I hunt on the ground way more than I hang and hunt.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”