#of times to hunt the same area.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wwridgerunner

#of times to hunt the same area.

Unread postby wwridgerunner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Bumped a bedded descent buck while bear hunting the last 3 days with a muzzleloader couldn't kill him with the gun do to it being bow only for deer.Went and found rubs and scrapes and hunted it a week later.Then another week later,I think I bumped him again.I want to go back but am reluctant to hit the same spot.Im thinking about moving to a different part of the hill about 1/4 mile away.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: #of times to hunt the same area.

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 pm

From my experience, you bump a bedded buck (in a primary bedding area) in a hunting situation once, he will be right back. You bump him twice he probably won't be back, especially if he has caught your scent. I can't remember bumping one a third time because they were gone after the second time. Surely there are different variables like other available bedding spots, and there are always exceptions, but that is my experience.

I think I have already bumped one twice in his main bedding area this year, although I have never seen him, but I am going to continue to hunt there because there are lots of does and doe bedding in that area also. And there were lots of other bucks around this summer, and I am setup where multiple trails converge, and all the trails have old rubs on them. So once the rut hits I think I still have a chance. Plus I didn't bump him from my hunting spot, just walking in early morning, and he didn't smell me, which I think is a little less invasive.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:47 am

One good lesson I have learned over my yrs here. You cant kill a buck if you don't hunt him. When I first start this style of hunting I was one in done, only to come back to the areas and find sign all over. You don't have to hunt the same tree but you can shift slightly and adjust as the buck adjust. The more I learn the more I am finding that you have to be aggressive.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 am

IMO it depend on how hard you bumped him, and the personality of the buck. There are no guarantees.

So, it sounds like you bumped him twice and hunted him once? Did you hunt his bed? Or just the scrapes & rubs?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 am

I'd probably hunt surrounding presumed bedding at that point.

Similar but different question, but what if he winds you while on his feet coming out of his bedding area? Will he just adjust his exit, stage longer, or leave all together?
wwridgerunner

Unread postby wwridgerunner » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:19 am

thanks guys I think I let it rest a week and adjust.I don’t think he winded me had it in my face and I was hunting a rub line into the area not his bed but not sure it’s thick rhododendrons in where I bumped him.Thanks for the input
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 am

I might give it one hunt just to know for sure then start knocking off other bedding areas one by one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”