Best Ground Concealment Late Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Emrah

Best Ground Concealment Late Season?

Unread postby Emrah » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Curious about your guys' thoughts on the best concealment for late season with little to no leaves and/or snow. Especially from the ground. I'm pretty sure as the season progresses and gets colder (more/bulkier clothing), snowier and slipperier I'm going to be less inclined to climb into a tree stand. I'll hunt more from the ground.

Aside from a natural hide/blind, what about clothing? Leafy suits still work? Does a ghillie suit work or does it look like a giant bushy green blob when there are no more giant green bushes left in the woods?

Emrah

adbel17

Re: Best Ground Concealment Late Season?

Unread postby adbel17 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:17 pm

I use both a leafy suit and ghille depending on area. Both work well, but the key is playing the wind and being still.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Blowdowns, brush piles, evergreen trees. Whatever you can find to break-up your outline.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Some brush behind you to break up your outline. Good camo like asat or predator probably doesn't hurt either but I've been within bow range of deer in a pumpkin suit without being spotted.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 am

Sit or stand very still. The thick cover the deer hang in helps you too.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:24 am

I guess my real question is: is a ghillie suit effective in the winter or does it just stick out like a blob.

Emrah
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 am

Emrah wrote:I guess my real question is: is a ghillie suit effective in the winter or does it just stick out like a blob.

Emrah

If there's snow on the ground. A white sweatshirt is the best to blend in. I have a coverall that's reversible to snow camo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
bass28

Unread postby bass28 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 am

Make sure you have a good backing even when sitting in something like a blow down. I prefer having a tree or real dense bush as a backing...think turkey hunting.

I have also used the camo material with leaf cutouts to line the inside of a blow down to conceal my movement. You typically just need a small section of it if you have the good backing. Most hunting shops carry some type of material like this.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”