Moving back to SW PA.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cuzzinfish

Moving back to SW PA.

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 am

Well, we’re heading back home to SW Pennsylvania. The hunting pressure capital of the world. It’ll be better for my young son to be nearer to his grandparents. So, I’m kinda looking forward to it, but have unfinished business here.

I’m in my fourth season in Central Ohio and still haven’t arrowed a shooter buck (for me). I’ve had lots of encounters with 1 and 2 year olds. I’ve had 12 encounters with shooter bucks inside my comfort zone and my bad luck has yet to run out. Trees over the vitals. Picking the wrong trail. Fog that made finding one awesome buck in my peep impossible at 52 yards. I’ve never had more success filling the freezer and a more frustrating time getting a buck on the ground. It’s all been public. I guess I can’t complain too much.

I have 3 more weeks and, hopefully, a handful more sits to break my Ohio buck-less streak. I have two spots in mind. One is a gap between two large bedding thickets (10-12 acres a piece) that are full of thorns up to your neck. I’ve seen most of the mature bucks in this gap or on the corners of the thickets but something always seems to happen there.

The other is a bedding area I scouted this year. There’s a 3 year old basket 8 point and a 4 year old 10 with a split brow. It’s perfect on any East wind and I saw the 10 less than 10 minutes after legal light the last time I hunted it. I was playing safe and sitting on the opposite creek bank hoping to shoot that bank or the creek crossing. Not anymore. I’m going to cross the creek just upstream and crawl in on the ground and see what happens. I won’t get more chances so it’s time to go balls to the wall.

Here’s the set up.

The blue is full of large individual beds scattered around with rubs in a few places. The red is a cluster of doe bedding I found. It was classic too. Multiple beds facing different directions and much more heavily used (hair and all). My entry is the white arrow and the ‘X’ was my spot for my first two sits. One morning. One evening. It was a 32-50 yard shot depending on where I would shoot to the opposite bank. The canopy in the buck bedding area is less than 6 feet in most places and the grass is between knee and waist high. It’ll be tight.

Wish me luck.

Bravov2

Re: Moving back to SW PA.

Unread postby Bravov2 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 am

Let me be the first to welcome you back to PA ;)
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 am

Bravov2 wrote:Let me be the first to welcome you back to PA ;)

Thanks
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:32 am

Somebody loves you in PA.

Haha those license plates crack me up.

Welcome back to the Keystone my friend
Joe™
Jer-Bear
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.burke.925

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Welcome back and good luck.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:Somebody loves you in PA.

Haha those license plates crack me up.

Welcome back to the Keystone my friend

:lol: Appreciate it!
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Jer-Bear wrote:Welcome back and good luck.

Thanks. I’m hoping.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:31 am

Is there any way you could get permission to walk in through the corn? That would make a world of difference. Some farmers don't mind giving permission if your goal is to help with "crop damage." Then come from the south, but it may be difficult getting close. The ultimate would be to cross the water on the western side and position yourself between the beds. Being on the down wind side of those doe beds will be great for you coming soon.

Welcome back to Pa. Sorry you have to come back. Especially compared to Ohio hunting. I hope you can land something before you head for Pa.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 am

Ashreve93 wrote:Is there any way you could get permission to walk in through the corn? That would make a world of difference. Some farmers don't mind giving permission if your goal is to help with "crop damage." Then come from the south, but it may be difficult getting close. The ultimate would be to cross the water on the western side and position yourself between the beds. Being on the down wind side of those doe beds will be great for you coming soon.

Welcome back to Pa. Sorry you have to come back. Especially compared to Ohio hunting. I hope you can land something before you head for Pa.

I’m goood with PA. I’m from north central WV. So, Im used to pressure and hills. I’ve had more chances at really BIG deer here in Ohio, but that’s not really my ultimate goal. I just want a respectable and representative buck year to year. Plus, I’m near Columbus and the pressure can be intense here too. I’ve almost stopped hunting the second week of November because of it. Each area has it’s issues, especially on public.

I have a camera on the creek crossing and see the most activity on winds with East in them. The SSE wind and rain we have forecasted tomorrow is going to be perfect for me to get across the creek and get in quiet. It’s only calf to waist deep in the creek. So, I’m hoping for a shot. ;)
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 am

That's a good attitude.

https://s1.postimg.org/1yir4n7m8v/IMG_2 ... 35_932.jpg

That buck a buddy shot just north of Pittsburgh. He has less than 5 acres within 15 minutes of the city and lands a nice buck every year on his property. 1 hour east of Columbus looked difficult to hunt. No woods, pretty much all farm lands. There were small sections of woods, but not big enough to hold more than a couple deer.

Well good luck to you! I hope you land a buck!
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:38 am

Welcome back. I am in SW PA myself (Westmoreland County).
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:31 am

Welcome back, if it were possible, I'd just trade you and take your spot in OH! Lol
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 am

Ashreve93 wrote:That's a good attitude.

https://s1.postimg.org/1yir4n7m8v/IMG_2 ... 35_932.jpg

That buck a buddy shot just north of Pittsburgh. He has less than 5 acres within 15 minutes of the city and lands a nice buck every year on his property. 1 hour east of Columbus looked difficult to hunt. No woods, pretty much all farm lands. There were small sections of woods, but not big enough to hold more than a couple deer.

Well good luck to you! I hope you land a buck!

Great deer!
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 am

Greg4579 wrote:Welcome back. I am in SW PA myself (Westmoreland County).

Thanks! Will be moving to Allegheny.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 am

BradC36 wrote:Welcome back, if it were possible, I'd just trade you and take your spot in OH! Lol

Haha! I’ve enjoyed the hunting and fishing here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”