Lesson Learned

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WMA hunter

Lesson Learned

Unread postby WMA hunter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 am

Let me start by saying I consider myself a pretty competent public land hunter. I have slain many Alabama pine goats that were over the hill in my time but I have never been a big preparation person. This season I decided to add sticks and a guidos web to my gear. I am generally an climber guy or a run and gun ground hunter. I went to the woods for the first time Thursday and rather than hunt I initially spent the morning scouting some new woods. This turned into almost 8 miles of discovery that I fully enjoyed but left me tired and sore when I tried to climb into my first tree for the season. I got out my hawk heliums with the silent strap system and proceeded to prove that statement false as I made my way up the tree. Setup was easy enough but after screwing my platform steps in I realized that I was drenched in sweat, had made the woods sound like a road work area and my legs were shaking from exhaustion. I didn't even stay and hunt, climbed down with a list of things to change before next attempt. I have been hunting the same way for so long that it never dawned on me to prepare myself for the new equipment in advance.... lesson learned!

PK_
500 Club

Re: Lesson Learned

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:48 am

You will think back to this and laugh in a couple years.

Now I cringe at the thought of shimmying my climber up a tree (and I am in shape and been using a climber since I was literally 8 years old), the sticks are just so much easier once you master them.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
WMA hunter

Unread postby WMA hunter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 am

I was laughing then. Most of my trouble was from overdoing it with the scouting. My legs and back were both sore but I did learn allot about that piece. I will admit that I wondered if the stick and saddle was a mistake but I know I will get used to it. I have been laughing at myself because even after 35 years of hunting, I can still have my noob moments
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 pm

WMA hunter wrote:I was laughing then. Most of my trouble was from overdoing it with the scouting. My legs and back were both sore but I did learn allot about that piece. I will admit that I wondered if the stick and saddle was a mistake but I know I will get used to it. I have been laughing at myself because even after 35 years of hunting, I can still have my noob moments

You'll get used to it, stick it out. Saddles and stands are all just tools and have their place.

And we all have our mo-mo moments. I know I have my share of mine. I'm sure people have seen me struggling in the woods like I've never been to earth before. I imagine they hurry home to donate to the local mental health facility.
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:58 pm

LOL.. reminds me of my first 'saddle' set up. Saddle fell down arround my ankles while i was standing on top of top stick.. that was not fun but laughable in hindsight.

you'll also learn to scout right after the season so you know how exactly to get there and on what wind and 'just show up' totally unexpected. That's key.

you can go in blind, and Dan talks about how to do that right in the DVDs. but after an all day scout that might be tough.

In the off-season im working out and running stairs so that by season start I'm at peak performance. but that's about me.. blah blah blah.

Minimize your set up, practice and don't take any risks on your safety. My set up is lighter now although i'm still using a backpack to strap platform (Ernie Power) and saddle to it.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm

The 8 miles and saddle hunting is a rough combo.. but next time try tightening the bridge so you're sitting more so than putting weight on your feet. They're extremely adjustable so you need to play with everything until you hit that "sweet spot". It's hard to describe but you van raise the tether on the tree or tighten the bridge to create a steeper angle in the rope/further away from your pegs. I try and do a 70/30 between weight on my saddle and the rest on my feet. Especially with tree pegs or climbing sticks, never tried those DIY platforms though.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
WMA hunter

Unread postby WMA hunter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks for the input. I ordered some Versa buttons to get rid of the straps and buckles and I think I need to work on my bridge some. I basicly did away with it to reduce weight and was just buckling straight to the harness loops and it wasn't as comfortable. Al the new equipment just took me by surprise. I will get used to it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”