Looking For Beds In-season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BKMississippi

Looking For Beds In-season

Unread postby BKMississippi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:14 am

How do you guys normally search for beds during the season? I don't want to bust a spot up that I may want to hunt this year. I'm thinking about looking while I think the wind would be wrong for a particular bed. Is that how some of you do it? For instance looking for a possible bedding location that would be good for a nw wind, but searching while I have a south or se wind.

Thanks

WMA hunter

Re: Looking For Beds In-season

Unread postby WMA hunter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:11 pm

I would try to identify them from Internet scouting and then use some observation sits or trail cameras to verify, then move in when the conditions are right.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:02 am

Last season I spent a ton of time blowing up new areas I wasn't gonna hunt during season. I got a ton of intel for this year heading to other areas during midday break. I plan to do the same thing this year. A couple times I didn't have a spot for a given wind so i just headed out at noon and scouted until I hit good sign and had good sits, but also got some extra intel on those trips in. Another thing I like to do I print a clean map of the wma I am at for just the purpose of driving all the roads on my "lunch Break" from sitting. I mark every vehicle and where they are parked. If you hunt a place consistently it shows hunting pressure really quick. I usually take and bounce that data off a sat map and can generally figure out where most hunters are sitting. It helps me mark off areas that are getting a ton of pressure.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 am

That's a great idea. Thanks
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 am

I use observation sits. Look at a map, mark a spot, walk in and sit. If I hit good sign the game plan may change a bit but that's what I'm there for. I don't wanna necessarily blow the deer out but if I bump a doe and start seeing beds I may just sit and watch if I think there is a good possibility that a buck bed, by the looks of the map, is in that area.

My other choice is still hunt the area where I end up in position to get a chance at a buck where I believe the bed to be according to the map.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:52 am

I like your plan to check bedding w opposite winds. If that is the case then you could go check the suspected areas. It will be tougher w everything green and wet days are great for washing out scent but makes it tougher to see the sign. For in season purposes I like to check transitions, field edges or creeks for tracks/sign. Then try to back track it to bedding.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:30 am

I scout hard every winter and every spring and I find all kinds of bedding areas and sign. when I hunt it in season nothing is ever there so I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to Scout in season instead of hunting so I can find where these deer are actually at during season. I might burn up a season or two or three but in the long run I think it will help.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 am

BigHunt wrote:I scout hard every winter and every spring and I find all kinds of bedding areas and sign. when I hunt it in season nothing is ever there so I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to Scout in season instead of hunting so I can find where these deer are actually at during season. I might burn up a season or two or three but in the long run I think it will help.

This^ maybe half of my off season scouting presented decent deer bedding. The best time to scout is December-February for me. After 1 month of no hunting pressure and the deer bedding changes drastically.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:30 am

I did it a few years ago at an area that hunt. I jumped a lot of deer doing it. And the beds are in the same spots this year. Just This last week I was able to sneak up to three different beds and watch the beds from a distance to see what was in them. There were deer in all three beds.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 am

I'm already in-season scouting more than ever before. I really want to jump deer out of it, so I know it's being used. For the most part, it's next season intel.

The bedding I found last winter-spring has been hit & miss for sure. There's a big difference between finding bedding. And finding primary bedding that's being used all season!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:17 am

This is a really good topic. I like to do my in-season scouting right before or during a hard rain. I found a buck bed yesterday on a point that i want to hunt. It wasn't raining when i found it, so i might wait 3 or 4 weeks and hunt it with the right wind.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am

tgreeno wrote:I'm already in-season scouting more than ever before. I really want to jump deer out of it, so I know it's being used. For the most part, it's next season intel.

The bedding I found last winter-spring has been hit & miss for sure. There's a big difference between finding bedding. And finding primary bedding that's being used all season!

yup
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm actually going out today between lines of rain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”