hunting trails parallel to a ditch

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jayhawk

hunting trails parallel to a ditch

Unread postby jayhawk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:42 pm

I have scouted a wooded property that has a ditch running through it. The ditch is ~10 yards wide rim to rim and a variable 2-5 yards deep. There is no water running in it during the summer/fall. The ditch has trails running alongside of it on both sides for a ways. These are not always right alongside the edge, but might move inland for 5-20 yards, weaving around blowdowns, extra-thick spots, etc.

My question is - based on your observations/theory, will deer prefer to walk on one side or the other based on wind direction? You can assume its a straight north-south ditch with parallel trails.

Lastly - this property is not your typical elevated hillside with a military crest / funnel near the top, etc.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: hunting trails parallel to a ditch

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:18 pm

I like to find a spot where they cross the ditch.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Which side they prefer to travel will most likely be determined by their bedding and destination. I would try to set up in the spot that gives you as many shot opportunities as possible....try to cover both sides and a solid crossing if you can.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 pm

I prefer to follow the ditch all the way up to the header which squeezes there movement down and creates a hunter friendly scenario
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:46 pm

I agreee with Stanley and boogieman. I like crossing or going to the heAd of the ditch which in my area is often at the woodline. Sets up as a pinch where as setting up somewhere on the ditch may not give you the option to shoot across as these ditches are usually choked pretty thick
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:57 am

Yeah...look for irregularities along either trail that would put them in a position of vulnerability...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:08 am

No. Try to setup where you can shoot both sides from the downwind side.

One of the properties I hunt has lots of ditches like you describe and I glassed lots of deer traveling them(especially bucks cruising during rut) and I literally have watched them go along one ditch on the upwind side then jump to another ditch and cruise the downwind side. There seemed to be no pattern to it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 pm

I've killed many bucks either on or running parallel to ditches. Like others have said, I like to focus where the trails cross the ditch. Many of the ditches I hunted were pretty high, so the wind acted differently in and around them. Make sure to use milkweed when you're hunting around ditches. I was shocked how much those ditches affected the wind.
jayhawk

Unread postby jayhawk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the observations / advice. I plan to hunt this spot on the ground, otherwise a stand would probably let me hit both sides. I do plan to walk the ditch in the Spring to make sure I'm not missing any no-brainer crossings/funnels. The spot in question is near several large oaks.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”