Busted on the Draw

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Busted on the Draw

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Dewey wrote:Timing your draw is the hardest part. Background cover in the tree is key but the most important thing is drawing when the deer is looking straight away from you or if it's head is hidden behind a tree or brush. I have good luck drawing as they are walking since they can't see you as well and any noise drawing will be covered by their footsteps.

This is video of the buck I killed last year. Notice how I waited to draw till his head was right behind the largest tree. Never had a clue I was there. The draw sounds very loud but it's really magnified by my Tactacam speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90i7Z96IFpE

I learned a lot from that video. Thank you for posting that! Would you say that's a pretty typical scenario? I've only shot two bucks with my bow both were quartering away when I drew.... just don't have the experience I guess.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:24 pm

isitseasonyet? wrote:
Dewey wrote:Timing your draw is the hardest part. Background cover in the tree is key but the most important thing is drawing when the deer is looking straight away from you or if it's head is hidden behind a tree or brush. I have good luck drawing as they are walking since they can't see you as well and any noise drawing will be covered by their footsteps.

This is video of the buck I killed last year. Notice how I waited to draw till his head was right behind the largest tree. Never had a clue I was there. The draw sounds very loud but it's really magnified by my Tactacam speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90i7Z96IFpE

I learned a lot from that video. Thank you for posting that! Would you say that's a pretty typical scenario? I've only shot two bucks with my bow both were quartering away when I drew.... just don't have the experience I guess.

Every one is a little different but my focus is always drawing when I think the deer will have a hard time seeing me. When they are relaxed and doing their thing it's so much easier than drawing on a deer that's already very alert and on the edge. Also deer can see 310 degrees so if unless you are straight behind their head they can still easily see you. Predators eyes are focused straight ahead and prey have eyes on the side for survival due to having much better peripheral vision.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:04 am

So once you have decided that it's a target, your focus should be on when you can draw, either on the walk or when the head is hidden? What if the stop behind the tree or brush when you draw? Just hold it?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:35 am

A lot of times if they catch you then they stop and you can get the shot off but if they really bust you then there is no chance. Like others mentioned if you can draw ultra slow when they are moving, I did that once hunting low and got an arrow into a nice buck at 10 or 15 yards. I was able to draw slow on him and he never knew, had to make one little move around a limp and he sure caught that but I was at full draw and it was too late. Otherwise find a tree or brush or something you can anticipate blocking their view. I got busted drawing a lot when I was starting out, learned a ton.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:56 am

That's why I generally draw slowly while the deer is offering me a shot. If he stops or locks on he is already dead.

But in a case like you experienced. Close range and the deer already looked right at you, you have to be very careful. They already thought something might be wrong. Seeing the slightest movement just verifies it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:04 am

I have a bunch of leaves and branches (sneaky leaves) on my bow limbs and stabilizer. Then I draw straight back with bow in front. I thinks it's a lot harder for them to catch that movement doing that.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:25 am

PK_ wrote:That's why I generally draw slowly while the deer is offering me a shot. If he stops or locks on he is already dead.

But in a case like you experienced. Close range and the deer already looked right at you, you have to be very careful. They already thought something might be wrong. Seeing the slightest movement just verifies it.

Is it worth a try if they spot you? Or should you just wait for the next one?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:So once you have decided that it's a target, your focus should be on when you can draw, either on the walk or when the head is hidden? What if the stop behind the tree or brush when you draw? Just hold it?

It happens. Sometimes they freeze up and you will have to hold at full draw for a long time. Thank god for 80% let off bows these days.

The biggest thing is anticipate where the deer will go and when it enters a predetermined shooting lane try to be at full draw well before that so you can settle in for the shot.

The ones that catch you by surprise are the tough ones. Many times you see them, draw back and then shoot all in a matter of seconds. Surprisingly I haven’t been busted then nearly as much because most times they were cruisers during the rut and they are pretty preoccupied and not nearly as alert.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:57 pm

I have had deer at close range get tense and spook at the sound of my shirt sleeve moving. I once slowly shifted my feet when a doe was near the bottom of my tree and she spooked even though I could not hear anything.

If she was already on alert it would not take much unnatural sound at 7 yds. to spook her.
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:24 pm

It happens quite often with all the variables involved at the moment of truth. Getting busted on the draw is still a whole lot better than making a crappy shot on a deer that came unglued when you touched off the shot. The doe I killed on opening morning of PA archery this year got in real close on me due to breezy conditions. She locked up a stared a hole right through me at 5 yards (I wasn't very high). I was sitting with bow in my hand - didn't move a muscle or even look her directly in the eyes. She finally passed me off and continued to cut across in front of my stand and walked directly under some limbs of a birch sapling under my stand. I drew as her head passed under those limbs. It worked. This kind of low cover around your stand can be very important. Spot shot her at 8 yards with a quartering away double lung hit. I couldn't risk standing up so it was one of the few deer that I remember killing while sitting on the seat of my stand.

Chalk it up to experience and take something positive away from your experience. Seems like you're focused on this. It is a very important part of bowhunting to be able to do that. Good luck!
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”