In season scouting . . . . . .

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tater

In season scouting . . . . . .

Unread postby Tater » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:30 am

I hunted a new spot on public last night. On my drive home i saw a decent buck crossing the road about a mile from where i hunted, still public land.

I was considering going there after work this afternoon to see if i could get on his track from last night and see where he went and what other sign is in there. He crossed into a small area that is a DNR waterfowl pond that has a little bit of marshy land and trees around it and sits in a corner of a highway and county road with ag fields adjacent to it. It will be a small area maybe 10-20ac including the pond. Should i go in and do a little speed scouting (cant hunt tonight, but have an hour or so)? If so, should i take the bow along in case i jump one?

Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: In season scouting . . . . . .

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:33 am

Tater wrote:I hunted a new spot on public last night. On my drive home i saw a decent buck crossing the road about a mile from where i hunted, still public land.

I was considering going there after work this afternoon to see if i could get on his track from last night and see where he went and what other sign is in there. He crossed into a small area that is a DNR waterfowl pond that has a little bit of marshy land and trees around it and sits in a corner of a highway and county road with ag fields adjacent to it. It will be a small area maybe 10-20ac including the pond. Should i go in and do a little speed scouting (cant hunt tonight, but have an hour or so)? If so, should i take the bow along in case i jump one?

Go in and get some intel. Taking your bow can't hurt. You never know?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:43 am

I'd look at maps and make a guess where he might be bedding and ease in there ready to hunt while scouting my way in.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 am

If I do in season scouting in an area I plan to hunt I will still hunt it as I scout. An hour to cover that size of an area still hunting correctly and effectively isn't going to happen. If you don't care that you blow him outa there that's entirely different. Up to you.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:52 am

Man that's tough. I'd rather not go walking through an area I plan on hunting soon. I'd rather scout it and when I come across good sign just hang and hunt.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:07 am

Like already mentioned.....Id do an aerial/topo map cyber scout looking for possible bedding on the side which he came from . Get in early afternoon the next chance you have , scouting for his sign on the way in and hunt the best spot you can. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”