Do you remember all your kills?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Do you remember all your kills?

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I can remember all the bucks I think. Shot my first buck in 1989, first bow buck was 1996. I don’t think I’ve had a year that I didn’t kill a buck in one state or another but I only started trying to shoot only nice ones in 2008. Before that I shot a pile of scrub bucks and does.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 pm

I have details of all my archery kills. Gun kills are enjoyable but just a blur.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Sadly i forget some of the does. :think: I have a number written down in a book that I keep. There's more on my count than I have memories of now. Im up to 35 i think total. Only 7 bucks :doh:

I do remember all my missed buck chances quite well actually!! Funny how that works
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:02 pm

I don't. I wish I did. Now I keep a hunting journal, so at least I'll be able to look back on that.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 pm

I have a detailed log of every one of my kills. I would surely forget most of them without it! I actually pulled it up while reading this thread. I am at 70 whitetails 8-) Reading the notes on each one I can clearly remember the shot and location. I also have pics of pretty much all of them.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Think so

6 point 2 and a half 5 points on one side 1 on other was first buck.

3 point shot by mistake thought it was bigger buck in brush shot wrong one.

7 point messed up rack
8 point 2 and a half

All up until now killed in same area behind house.

4 point with a broken side 2 and a half Public
12 point mature they think 5 and a half Public
8 point mature Public

8 point mature I never found after shot. Public

Never killed a doe.
I let all bucks under 2 and a half walk now.

No idea why I kill so many non typicals the area behind my house used to be full of them.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:17 pm

I can tell you to a t about my first gun and bow kill buck and doe.. And every buck with the bow I remember like yesterday. Although I wish I had pictures off all the deer I've killed just for good ol memories
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm

I remember mine. I'm also no where near 100 kills. I think with the growing age of media, you won't have to remember it all.. something seems sad about that. I sat tonight and caught myself too many times wanting to check my phone. Before I had a cell phone I would widdle sticks, pick leaves, count birds, carve my name into trees. I think I remember more of my hunts and kills before cell phones
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Just killed number 9 and 10 (does) so yes I can recall them all- 9 with bow 1 with hawken rifle. I also make a map in microsoft paint after each hunt with image of area, access, wind, temp, time of day, and movement from deer... Visual journal
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Good stuff guys. I counted all my private land kills. I can remember all of them pretty well. 26 deer. 2 bucks. I didn't think it was that many. I seldom hunt private. Most of the time it's late doe season. That's why I haven't killed many bucks.

The kills that I have the hardest time recalling are some of my go to spots. I've shot so many does from them they all blend together.

I also have very few pics. Most just got lost over time. Some I never developed. Some I never took pics. Just faded memories now. I also lost alot of my early racks. I got sick of moving them n went through a little rough patch about 10 yrs ago n tossed a bunch out. All of my racks I have are from 2008 on. I wish I still had them. I had my first buck mounted on a plague my Dad made. He passed 4 yrs ago. That's one I really wish I had.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Deer yes hogs no I lived in the hay day of hog hunting in florida in the 90's where I could get permission to kill hogs on just about every orange grove within 100 miles of where I live with a phone call or door knock even a letter left and my number attached. I had weeks where I had multiple families wanting a pig in a given week I might kill clean and give away a 5 hogs for weeks on end during the summer. I was actually thinking about it the other day I don't think i still have a single pick of me with a hog. It got to be so common place that it was work. Don't get me wrong I loved ever minute of it, FB and instagram weren't around. On the other hand I have hundreds of developed pics of my grip and grin with name that fish!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:41 pm

I think if I tried really hard I could go in order. 24 bucks and only 3 does. All on public land except 1.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:15 pm

I tried writing them all down once but when I thought I was done I’d remember another. The does really start to blurr together. If I do remember it I can recall most all the details of the hunt.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm

No. Maybe the bucks but for sure not the does
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm

I remember the buck kills, probably because I haven't killed that many.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”