On track and now I'm lost - WIND

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Harvestor
Facebook: www.facebook.com/commongroundbowhunter

Re: On track and now I'm lost - WIND

Unread postby Harvestor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:03 pm

I have found difficulty in getting consistent wind sitting on the edge of conifers mixed with hardwood timber. It seems like a hard transition edge of pines and timber creates a tumbling effect with the wind coming over the pines. If there is a grassy clearing or thicket (opening in the canopy) on the other side of the pines this could create additional swirling. Think about how water flows over rocks in a creek and churns on the backside of the rock. Additionally, if the wind was coming from the northeast for example, and hitting the hard line of the pines (assuming the transition line of pines is running north/south) the wind could hit that line of trees and shoot straight south on you. You might have better luck hunting into the woods/pines further and picking a spot where you can shoot to the transition edge you expect deer to work. You might have to shoot before they cross your scent stream if you have determined you need to hunt on a west wind for the movement, and you are sitting to the west of the deer travel. Sometimes it takes threading the needle and a move of 20 yards or less can change a lot about how the wind moves. Like was mentioned, foliage on the trees in early season, terrain and elevation changes, morning/evening thermals, water thermals etc. can all affect the wind. Milkweed will tell you a lot once you are there but if you understand the physics behind wind movement/air pressure etc. you can better predict what you MIGHT be able to get away with in certain spots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”