buck returning to bed after being spooked

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

buck returning to bed after being spooked

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 am

We had a hunt last week in Missouri where we bumped a buck out of his bed on video. You can watch it at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUM1ELZIKUc&t=1s

This buck had no idea what we were and returned to the same bed the next evening. We just setup about 20 yards too far as he came in at last light. We've now been in there with our scent twice but am thinking about hunting it again soon.

He definitely hasn't got our wind yet but I'm sure he's detected the ground scent. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Cuzzinfish

Re: buck returning to bed after being spooked

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 am

I can’t say I have been in that situation, but I’m thoroughly enjoying the videos. Thanks for your efforts.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:51 am

I jumped a 3.5 yr old out of a known bedding area that gets used often during this time of year. I have a cam within 70yds of thst bed. I would bet the buck is back there this week.

Only because he lives there and it's well used. Good bucks bed it every time the conditions are right.

So my question would be how good is the bedding area. How well used is it?
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 am

I have bumped a buck out of his bed at midday, set up a stand and had him come back in about an hour.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Just to be clear is this the same buck following that video which bedded 20 yds in the dark?
If so that deer did that, then walked right by you w/o even flinching then id say its worth another go for sure. Id be more worried he shifted to Oct patterns and moved.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:23 pm

We call it "bump and dump". Andrae D. Aquisto coined the term. A few of his biggest bucks came from that tactic. He would actually bump them on purpose set up a stand immediately, and hunt the rest of the day there and then the next morning.

I have had some luck with it but never a kill. Biggest problem being they come in from down wind and have a tendency to wind you. Setting up down wind of the bed seems to be the ticket.

As far as him coming back after your ground scent has gotten close, well, maybe, maybe not... I can remember plenty of bucks I bumped that I never saw in that spot again, but I can also remember plenty I did... One that stands out is a buck I jumped in the same spot 4 days in a row while accessing a deeper section of public. after the second day I said "dang, I should of set up a bump and dump" after day 3 i WAS IN DISBELIEF HE DID IT AGAIN... aFTER DAY 4 I set up a stand a couple hours before daylight, and wouldn't you know thats the day he decided enough is enough...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Here is a real good thread about bumping deer:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6167
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Aaron1987 wrote:We had a hunt last week in Missouri where we bumped a buck out of his bed on video. You can watch it at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUM1ELZIKUc&t=1s

This buck had no idea what we were and returned to the same bed the next evening. We just setup about 20 yards too far as he came in at last light. We've now been in there with our scent twice but am thinking about hunting it again soon.

He definitely hasn't got our wind yet but I'm sure he's detected the ground scent. Has anyone had a similar situation?

By the way, I’m really liking the public land content y’all posted up. Glad to see y’all venture out on y’all’s own!
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:09 am

Yes Aaron, I have hunted a very similar deer. I took a once in a lifetime, for me, 6-7 year old 8 point last year that was a similar situation as what you're experiencing with that buck. The video you have of that buck reminded me so much of mine. And I know y'all thought he was asleep and theres a good chance he was as he seemed a bit groggy but theres also a chance he wasn't. Public land or not, I am a firm believer that there are bucks out there that can and will put up with intrusion.....and more intrusion than one might think. Bucks that have nerves of steel and will not move or even give up their hidey hole unless absolutely forced to do so......with that said, I would say 15 feet is no doubt in that forcing them to move range. LOL! My buck last year did this very thing for 3 seasons and in 2 different bedding locations. More than once I hunted his bedroom, I know for a fact he was in the areas and I was within 40 yards of him bedded a few times because I got his pic on cameras within 20 mins after me leaving. On top of that, he would allow me to slip in and check trail cams as I skirted the edges of his bedding. Just never could get it done on him even tho I knew he was "right there", several times. Eventually his confidence in his spots and my persistence caught up with him last October. The buck had nerves of steel and I assure you he was on very heavily pressured ground but he had a couple spots that he knew that he would have to withstand intrusion and as long as he could hold his ground it was his best chance for survival. If you think about it, how many brush piles have you walked by only to get 20 yards past it just to turn around and see a big buck jump out of that brush pile. I would bet a lot and I would say theres just as many that we have walked right by that have not moved a muscle, leaving us to never even know they existed.

He's not the only buck I have ever encountered like this but he was no doubt one that put up with the most because I hounded the crap outta him.
Hunt Hard or Go Home

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”