The Aha Moment happend to me today!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mathews418

The Aha Moment happend to me today!!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I am pretty sure in other posts I have explained this before but anyways, I am outside plant tech (telephone man) for a local phone co/op. In my designated area there is a state park that is open to the public for hiking and horse back riding through the mountain but closed to hunting of any kind of course TOTAL BUMMER!!! However it is a perfect place to get some scouting practice and to further hone my skills (not that I am great at it or anything). There is a section that I pass by on a regular basis and always have thought I bed I could find some beds up there on that hill. Well today was that, I decided to a little lunch break hike in the park. I entered on the north facing slope on the east side and just slowly made my way up. True to form was I got about tonthe 1/3rd elevation line boom there was a preset heavy trail working it's way around the hill side. I didn't follow it but kept working my way to the top as I was more interested on what was to be found on the south facing side as our wind is predominantly out of the north. Once I reach the peak elevation and started down there was a couple of big white oaks that has been pounded by the deer choking down on acorns these trees are 25 yards from the peak and that is where I found the first bed nestled right in between some rock outcroppings. This wasn't a large bed and had no rubs around it and from the smaller poop around the oaks I assumed doe bed. I was a bit surprised as to how open it was on that side of the ridge as I could easily see 80-100 yards in all directions. Much different than the north facing side I climbed to get there. However I made my way around the ridge side and wasn't too impressed with what I was seeing, I finally hit a small rubline that had recently been opened but found no beds anywhere near them. I continued my way back around to the north facing side which today was the leeward side with the south wind we had today. I wanted to get back close the elevation I crossed that trail on when I first started my hike, as I moved down from the top maybe about 30Yards or so I hear a loud crash and hooves hitting the leaves. Look down the hill and a lone deer is bounding away. I immediately made a beeline for where it took off from and boom plain as day there was the bed. Wore down to the dirt and fairly large too. This deer let me get to about 50 yards from it before it busted out, still do not know if it was a buck or doe as there where no runs to be found any where near the bed. This one was a little different as there was a tree I front of the bed that the deer was looking around down the hill. I have read about and seen pics of beds like these but I have never found one till now. This bed worked out perfect for the south/southwest wind we had today and it was right in the thermal tunnel as well. I could feel the thermals hitting my face. I followed a trail that was keeping in the tunnel and found some fairly large clumped together droppings. Continuing on at the same elevation boom 2 more beds with another one with a tree in front, both worn down fairly well but still no rubs to be found. At this point my time for lunch was running out and I had to get back to my truck before I got a text from the boss lunch was over (thanks gps trackers). I left not knowing weather I found a buck bedding area or a doe bedding area. I want to say buck, due to the fact it was a lone deer that jumped up (odd for a doe to be alone this time of year), another reason is the beds where worn down to dirt and the fact that honestly there were no good trees for a buck to run near any of them. So who really knows but the deer lol. However my aha moment was finally seeing a deer bedded just the way that Dan and others have said they would. It is real and I am a believer in the beast tactics.

Below is a Topo view of the area and the marks of what I found. Green is beds and brown is rubs. I also done a video of the bed the deer jumped out of and done some rambling about how if new members heed the advice here they can find them too. I will try to get it posted too.

North is to the top and I made a clockwise loop around the peak.

Divergent
500 Club

Re: The Aha Moment happend to me today!!!

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:56 pm

And so it begins...Good luck!
<DK>
500 Club

Re: The Aha Moment happend to me today!!!

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:21 am

This is one of my favorite parts of the HB. Nice write up. Looking forward to more of these!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”