Ash trees altering marsh bedding...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Ash trees altering marsh bedding...

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:18 am

Has anybody else noticed that most marsh bedding points are ash trees? They seem to grow good in wet areas mixed with water and cattails. Anywho, the ash trees are dying at an alarming rate by me cause of an infestation of emerald ash borer bugs. Its hard to find any that have survived.

So, what Im noticing is that the normal early season bedding points that held bucks previous years are not holding bucks now, and I believe that's cause all the trees are dead and there is no leaf cover. If a buck laid out there he would be in direct sunlight. Kinda enforces why all my ash tree bedding points are only hot in early season...

Im seeing the bucks either bedding up a lot higher into the next tree species, or down in dogwood patches. I think the Emerald ash borers are going to significantly alter buck bedding.

Thoughts? Observations?

cdeam

Re: Ash trees altering marsh bedding...

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 am

I don't have marshes to hunt, but all the ash are dead here, too. I've lost alot of my go to stand trees because of it.

I know deer eat ash saplings and leaves they can reach. So maybe it's a little of both; loss of cover and food.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:26 am

Good observation. I have noticed a lot of ash trees dying too and will pay more attention to how it affects things.

I have noticed a few in areas I hunt on islands have been girdle cut I assume to kill them off.
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:28 am

Here in Kentucky, the Ash trees have been decimated by the EAB for a number of years. There is no stopping them.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:41 am

Haven't hit my areas yet but I know they are around that is for sure.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:52 am

llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:01 am

In one area I hunt sometimes, they cut a bunch of ash trees down and let them lie. I know they probably would have harvested the wood but I don't think they could get any equipment back to get them out due to the soft ground.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:34 am

The ash trees in my area were decimated roughly from 2008-2012. Most long dead now, the areas I hunt saw a boom in under story growth from all the extra sunlight due to the lack of a canopy. Those areas now are very thick, still a sad situation but it greatly increase deer numbers on those properties.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 am

No big marshes to hunt here but the Ash trees have really been hit hard here in Ohio the last few years.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:02 am

Ash tree population has more or less been completely eradicated here in my part of SE Michigan. A lot of the hardwood lots have a ton of 'widowmakers' in them now. The plus side is I have seen deer bed down near the deadfall in woodlots - similar to hinge cut trees. Can't really comment on the marshes.

I hate to say it but if the ash borer is already there killing trees it's already too late.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
vincke07

Unread postby vincke07 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:26 am

Almost all mature ash trees are long since dead in MI. I have noticed a ton of ash saplings growing well so hopefully that will continue and produce more cover.
Hopefully the borer doesn't decimate the future trees again.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:27 am

dan wrote:Has anybody else noticed that most marsh bedding points are ash trees? They seem to grow good in wet areas mixed with water and cattails. Anywho, the ash trees are dying at an alarming rate by me cause of an infestation of emerald ash borer bugs. Its hard to find any that have survived.

So, what Im noticing is that the normal early season bedding points that held bucks previous years are not holding bucks now, andI believe that's cause all the trees are dead and there is no leaf cover. If a buck laid out there he would be in direct sunlight. Kinda enforces why all my ash tree bedding points are only hot in early season...

Im seeing the bucks either bedding up a lot higher into the next tree species, or down in dogwood patches. I think the Emerald ash borers are going to significantly alter buck bedding.

Thoughts? Observations?

Thats a real impressive observation Dan! Thats awesome :clap: Based on what iv learned form you and see my self - that would most definitely cause some type of change.

My question would then be what about colder weather then instead of early season? Although, one thing that amazes me is these guys finding bean field beds in sunlight...when its warm out?! Even alot of CRP beds iv found have some type of base that creates little shade. Not always of coarse but iv also learned from others to target clear cuts in later season bc the back cover acting as a wall for cold winds but the sunlight helps warm them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”