What do you think of this bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Finch85

What do you think of this bed?

Unread postby Finch85 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 pm

I was out on national forest in August checking a cam and came across this bed walking back to the truck. This is on an old logging road and a stones throw from the road (old gravel forest road which is closed 2/10ths of a mile ahead of bed). The first pan of the camera (after I stick my foot over his bed :doh: ) is the thin patch of woods between his bed and the gravel road. I had assumed that he was facing downwind because it would seem silly of him to face a bank towards the road because he can't see anything. So I believe he was facing the predominant downwind side which is the last view of the video. Seems pretty smart actually as he can hear anything driving on the road behind him and has the wind to his nose. I've recently learned on here that bucks typically bed with the wind to their back but I believe there can be exceptions, right? There are no big enough trees to set up in without being right over top of the bed. I would feel really dumb setting up so close to the road and not seeing this guy but being successful would definitely trump that. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/kNGbdadHo0o

The marker is the location of the bed.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: What do you think of this bed?

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:30 pm

That mirrors the setup of a couple different beds I found on public land in KY scouting last year. The logging road acts like a bench. I bumped a buck off one last year and he had a just off wind coming across his back. He was basically facing east and the was coming out of the WNW. And yes he heard me coming up the old logging road and busted as I caught sight of him. I'm actually planning on throwing a stand at the spot when I get up there this year as he was a pretty good buck. I haven't quite figured out exactly how I'm gonna take a shot at it yet.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Finch85

Unread postby Finch85 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:That mirrors the setup of a couple different beds I found on public land in KY scouting last year. The logging road acts like a bench. I bumped a buck off one last year and he had a just off wind coming across his back. He was basically facing east and the was coming out of the WNW. And yes he heard me coming up the old logging road and busted as I caught sight of him. I'm actually planning on throwing a stand at the spot when I get up there this year as he was a pretty good buck. I haven't quite figured out exactly how I'm gonna take a shot at it yet.

Good luck getting on him! I'm not really sure how I could access this bed without spooking him. Even if I park on down the road, he'll hear me crunching gravels walking his way. I assume I'd just have to get there early enough on a good wind day and hope he hasn't made it back to his bed yet. This will actually be the first bed that I've ever set up on. I'm still trying to get it in my head that they bed in the same beds frequently. I also wonder if my intrusion to his bed back in August made him close up shop.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:40 am

Why don’t you try morning observation stand see how he uses the area then hunt him in am if you can’t get in there in the pm?
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 am

I'm by no means an expert bed hunter yet but based on what I've read here and watched on Dans videos I'll take a stab at this situation. I'd say if the buck is bedding in that location it should be on some sort of South wind with wind to back. I'd also guess with how high that bed is on the ridge that deer may bed there on days where the temps are rising alot to allow the thermals to pull up those cuts to that location. I'd also guess he moves around alot in that area depending on slight wind adjustments as well as thermal pull. You may find the bed also beds further down the hill at times. To me it would depend on how heavily the bed was used and where you think that deer is leaving to go. Dan says they'll bed due to wind direction but leave regardless of wind so knowing where he wants to go will help to set up on him. I'd think you could maybe enter from the east or west with a southerly wind again depending on what access you have to the area. Good luck.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 pm

I would guess if it was found in August it was a summer bed and the deer (or buck) is probably long gone. I have hunted a lot of NF in VA and I would not try to hunt a deer I saw in August where I saw it in August in October, especially with all of the acorns and white oaks dropping this year.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:44 pm

I see this in areas where pressure is low or summertime bedding when cover is available. Often times they'll bed about 20-30 yards above the logging rd. This allows them to wind anything on top and see anything using the logging rd below. Next time you go out, try walking about 20-30 yards above the logging rd.
Finch85

Unread postby Finch85 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks guys. I didn't even think about the possibility of this only being a summer bed. I was just excited to find such a good looking bed! I really can't walk above this logging road due to the thick mountain laurels and the fact that it is so close to the road. That was really the only reason I found this bed in the first place. I decided to walk the path of least resistance to get back to the truck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Just a couple comments... 1st. I have been watching deer bed, and studying bedded bucks for 40 years and after seeing thousands of beds, and hundreds of bedded deer, outside of groups like doe groups that bed in circles, I have never seen a buck bed looking up wind. The only exception I have seen is if the deer hears or smells something from behind he will spin his head around and stair the other way. I have heard people discuss deer bedding facing the wind, but I think they were mistaken. I have never seen seen it in any terrain. I am sure there has been a deer or two that did not, but I would say its extremely rare. Bucks are loners. They dep;end on themselves for survival, not the group like a doe. They enter beds walking into the wind, spin around and watch there entrance trail, while smelling behind them. They cover all there bases. One scent stream in line with there ground scent.

I have noticed when tracking deer, they quite often do a complete J-hook when entering there bed forcing anybody, or anything tracking them to walk right past them in front of them while they slip out. Leaving you feeling like an idiot when you get to the bed and look up at your track walking past.

2.. Its hard to get confidence in a spot that seems rediculas. Like right next to the road. Thats the biggest hurdle. But, in reality, thats where I kill the majority of my biggest bucks. Crazy spots no one else would ever look at. Big bucks have a knack for finding the little over looked spots where no one goes. Some of my best spots you would be embarrassed to have a friend see you hunting there, but thats exactly where you need to be.
Finch85

Unread postby Finch85 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 pm

dan wrote:Just a couple comments... 1st. I have been watching deer bed, and studying bedded bucks for 40 years and after seeing thousands of beds, and hundreds of bedded deer, outside of groups like doe groups that bed in circles, I have never seen a buck bed looking up wind. The only exception I have seen is if the deer hears or smells something from behind he will spin his head around and stair the other way. I have heard people discuss deer bedding facing the wind, but I think they were mistaken. I have never seen seen it in any terrain. I am sure there has been a deer or two that did not, but I would say its extremely rare. Bucks are loners. They dep;end on themselves for survival, not the groo9up like a doe. They enter beds walking into the wind, spin around and watch there entrance trail, while smelling behind them. They cover all there bases. One scent stream in line with there ground scent.

I have noticed when tracking deer, they quite often do a complete J-hook when entering there bed forcing anybody, or anything tracking them to walk right past them in front of them while they slip out. Leaving you feeling like an idiot when you get to the bed and look up at your track walking past.

2.. Its hard to get confidence in a spot that seems rediculas. Like right next to the road. Thats the biggest hurdle. But, in reality, thats where I kill the majority of my biggest bucks. Crazy spots no one else would ever look at. Big bucks have a knack for finding the little over looked spots where no one goes. Some of my best spots you would be embarrassed to have a friend see you hunting there, but thats exactly where you need to be.

Im obviously not doubting what you just said as you've been doing this A LOT longer than myself. Thanks for the input by the way!

My one question though for my particular case is why he would bed looking at a hill filled with thick laurels and saplings where he can not see anything? Not sure if the video conveyed it well but that first shot was the hill I'm talking about and just beyond it is the road. It would be akin to him bedded up against a wall and staring at the wall. 180 degrees of that he can see a ways off although it is looking into the predominant wind direction (NW). Now, I don't know what wind he is using the bed but it would seem like he had used it quite a bit. I just don't think there would be that many "off" wind days to have a bed that used looking.

Our season just opened yesterday but I'm already looking forward to late winter/ early spring to do some heavy scouting!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 am

Even when they bed in a thick nasty wall of cattails, they bed facing down wind. It focuses there ears and eyes on the vulnerable side.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”