And the work continues...scouting inseason for next. Fun stuff.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

And the work continues...scouting inseason for next. Fun stuff.

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:31 am

This is beauty of inseason scouting with a no tags!

Really cool finding today. I have 2 bucks that spend time in an area. 2 3.5yr olds. It was either in the winter or spring of this year, I was scouting the bedding area in one of my favorite spots. I discovered a PILE of big beds. It left me scratching my head. I never see bucks come from that direction. BUT I also, on an east wind, will give up that side. That was probably a mistake on my part.

So today I decided to push the bedding area that I found last year on my way in too check that cam that has been there since end of july.

BOOM -- 30yds in up jumps a big body and crashes off. BINGO. Well, could have been a doe or small buck. BUT when I pulled the cam, there he was at 8am this morning. This is the stuff that really really drives home the power of offseason scouting. This season, I had planned on changing what I do in that spot because of what I found scouting. Good to know today I was right.

Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Re: And the work continues...scouting inseason for next. Fun stuff.

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 am

My favorite way to scout is with my stand on my back following fresh sign. Only bad thing is sometimes I will go to far or get too close. We get two buck tags here and unfortunately I haven't filled both of my tags in one year yet.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:36 am

Nothing like seeing things come togather! Nice buck by he way!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:38 am

Sounds like are putting the pieces together on those spots. I've been a little conflicted about in-season scouting since I am tagged out as well. I've scouted now 3 times since then and each time i've gone out when there have been other cars in the parking lots. I try to only scout the woods between like 11am-4pm but still i am worried about ruining another guys hunt. Maybe I am just too nice.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:55 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Sounds like are putting the pieces together on those spots. I've been a little conflicted about in-season scouting since I am tagged out as well. I've scouted now 3 times since then and each time i've gone out when there have been other cars in the parking lots. I try to only scout the woods between like 11am-4pm but still i am worried about ruining another guys hunt. Maybe I am just too nice.

Hopefully you make the best of your early tagging a beauty. There is so much to learn about areas that should be holding deer RIGHT NOW. Beds that you scouted earlier on...its good to put bucks in them during times when you could be hunting there. Really allows you to gain a lot of intel that you would not not normally have.

You are in a unique position I guess...we don't have enough hunting pressure to make that even a consideration.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:11 am

I hope to be in that position every year. It rarely ever works out that way.

I would love to bust up all those bedding areas in Oct I found this spring, just to see what's home! I know you'll take advantage of all this great in-season scouting. And you'll be that much more confident come next season!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:28 am

Your situation is what I strive for. Looks like adaptation is the ingredient this year for me
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:45 am

tbunao wrote:Your situation is what I strive for. Looks like adaptation is the ingredient this year for me

To be honest, I will bump bucks if I can inseason. I will push beds to see if anyone is home. Then I will scout the bed and see if it has been used recently. I probably err more on the aggressive side. I do not like to waste time in areas. If there is no intel to tell me other wise, I try and bump.

Where I was today, I DO NOT bump beds there during season with a tag in my pocket. I know bucks live there so there is no need.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 am

you are on a roll! i think we will be seeing a lot more big woods bucks from you in the future!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 am

Are you the guy who wrecks someone's area while everyone else is still hunting :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:42 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Are you the guy who wrecks someone's area while everyone else is still hunting :mrgreen:

Did you see me? :lol: :lol:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:55 am

magicman54494 wrote:you are on a roll! i think we will be seeing a lot more big woods bucks from you in the future!

2011 is the year when I decided to really start pursuing some of these bucks here in Maine, on purpose. Really started bed hunting. Up till then, I just waited for the midwest to kill bigger bucks. The problem with the bed hunting, no one really wanted to talk about it. No one really knew much about it.

But I got the bug to start doing it here. When you hunt bigger woods kind of deer, all the tactics in the world cannot help you without a lot of boot leather in the woods. You have to learn the woods. Problem is, in 3k-5k acres of timber, there may be only 50acres of it that matters. Finding that 50 acres is what takes all the time. That just takes hours upon hours of off season scouting. My neighbor is a still hunter. He learns all this stuff still hunting with a rifle. So instead of off season scouting, he scouts inseason with his gun.

Relentless pursuit is the term I would give it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:57 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Are you the guy who wrecks someone's area while everyone else is still hunting :mrgreen:

Not as far as you know :shock:

I'm just paying back all the other idiots who typically ruin my hunts!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 am

tgreeno wrote:

Not as far as you know :shock:

I'm just paying back all the other idiots who typically ruin my hunts!

Glad I'm not the only one :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:55 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
tbunao wrote:Your situation is what I strive for. Looks like adaptation is the ingredient this year for me

To be honest, I will bump bucks if I can inseason. I will push beds to see if anyone is home. Then I will scout the bed and see if it has been used recently. I probably err more on the aggressive side. I do not like to waste time in areas. If there is no intel to tell me other wise, I try and bump.

Where I was today, I DO NOT bump beds there during season with a tag in my pocket. I know bucks live there so there is no need.

I'm still trying to find the balance between aggressive and passive. I found myself not being aggressive enough last year and that cost me opportunities but this year I'm still trying to get myself to cross that line. I would love to get this tag out of my pocket and really dive in. Almost seems worth it to sink an arrow in any just for intel.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”