Link to some threads for help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ETNyates15

Link to some threads for help

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:01 am

Can someone link to some threads that will help me please. I just got a tag on a completely new public spot that you aren't allow to scout before you hunt. The area I've digitally scouted is about 2k acres and I've mainly focused on trying to get to transitions but I need some good reading on walking in scouting and what to look for more specifically to get into mature deer on a place like this. I know there are tons of forums about this and I've read a few but I'm having a hard time searching effectively for more.

Thanks

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Link to some threads for help

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:32 am

this might sound like a sales pitch but .....
BUY THE DVD''S. Watch them again and again until you wear them out. If Dan charged $1000.00 each you would still be getting a deal. There is so much info on these DVD's that its hard to put in words. They will drastically shorten your learning curve.
It's kinda late in the game if you waited to draw a tag BEFORE you learned to hunt but that tag may be your motivation to learn so it is a good thing. I'm not picking on you so don't take offense. Before this stuff is going to click for you , you need to study then apply in the field, again and again.

Another source where you might find some good info is the "All time great threads" Or whatever it is called. I know it is broke down in catagories that might help you find what you are looking for faster.
Good luck with your hunt!
ETNyates15

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:09 am

Magic,

Own all the old ones and 2 of the new ones. I just really like to read and get perspectives from many different people.

Thanks
ETNyates15

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:10 am

Also read most of the "all time best threads", granted not every page but most of them. Alot of great stuff, just looking for more.

Thanks
ETNyates15

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 am

Also the tag was a decently hard one to get, been hunting for many years with good success on 2.5's and does here in TN and 2 other states but a walk in fresh "Mature buck" hunt is very different.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:54 am

ETNyates15 wrote:Also the tag was a decently hard one to get, been hunting for many years with good success on 2.5's and does here in TN and 2 other states but a walk in fresh "Mature buck" hunt is very different.

i wouldn't look at it as any different. If you are up to speed on the system then mark up your maps, have many options, and go for it. I don't know how much time you have to hunt it but I would go slow and watch for sign that would indicate that your spot holds a good buck. If the sign isn't there then go to plan b,c,d .. until you find good sign. do'nt feel pressured if it is a short hunt. I would much rather scout most of my hunt and spend just one day in a good spot then spend 5 days hunting areas without good sign.
I hunt far from home and often in areas I haven't been before. I use this formula all the time. I have to fight the urge to "hunt". My best success has always come from trusting my in season scouting and being patient when it comes to selecting a stand site.

Go get em!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:00 am

magicman54494 wrote:
ETNyates15 wrote:Also the tag was a decently hard one to get, been hunting for many years with good success on 2.5's and does here in TN and 2 other states but a walk in fresh "Mature buck" hunt is very different.

i wouldn't look at it as any different. If you are up to speed on the system then mark up your maps, have many options, and go for it. I don't know how much time you have to hunt it but I would go slow and watch for sign that would indicate that your spot holds a good buck. If the sign isn't there then go to plan b,c,d .. until you find good sign. do'nt feel pressured if it is a short hunt. I would much rather scout most of my hunt and spend just one day in a good spot then spend 5 days hunting areas without good sign.
I hunt far from home and often in areas I haven't been before. I use this formula all the time. I have to fight the urge to "hunt". My best success has always come from trusting my in season scouting and being patient when it comes to selecting a stand site.

Go get em!

Yep. It's a lot harder than it sounds. Only took me 8 years to realize my best hunts were in areas with really good and fresh sign. Worst hunts were in areas with no sign :think:

Really need to start looking at making the most of my hunts and scouting for the best sign instead of hunting just to hunt
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ETNyates15

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:16 am

magicman54494 wrote:

Go get em!

Magic,

Thanks man, this advice is helpful. I have probably over marked my map, Haha! I am focusing on 3 different areas through talking with some locals and the wma manager historically have held more mature deer. I appreciate the advice, and once I dive in next week I'll let you know how it goes.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:42 am

“Confidence” you read the all time threads, you watched the dvds. If you have had enough scouting time in to know the beast tactics works, then trust your gut! Confidence is a key fact for success! Good luck!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”