Warm Weather Hunting/spoiled meat?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wetfoot
500 Club

Warm Weather Hunting/spoiled meat?

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:03 am

For years, I avoided hunting in warm weather, if possible, during bow season. Mostly because I was only too aware of the possibility of a deer sitting out all night on a warm night and ending up with a wasted deer. I've also had a coyote on a deer in less than an hour, not to mention tracking a deer once only to realize it was being dragged off by a bear. Yo gotta love hunting in da U.P. eh. Anywho, during the past few seasons, I've realized I am missing out on alot of opportunities. So, on October 2nd, I had a successful hunt, but as sometimes happens, even with an apparently perfectly placed shot, my buck just walked away after being drilled at 25 yards right behind the shoulder. I found zero blood and the arrow was covered in dark blood. It also had a slight paunch odor. I backed out, and recovered the deer 60 yards away at noon, the following day. Now my question. This deer spent approximately 18 hours after being shot, on the ground. I figure it expired no more than 2 hours after being hit, due to my examination of the deer once it was dressed. It was about 74 degrees when shot. Temperature dropped to 64 over night. The ground may have been somewhat cooler as this was back inside the edge of a cedar swamp. The meat was promptly cleaned, cooled and refrigerated. It has no apparent foul odor. Should I be concerned that the might might not be fit for consumption?

Emrah

Re: Warm Weather Hunting/spoiled meat?

Unread postby Emrah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 am

The nose knows. Trust your gut I'd say.

Emrah
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:17 am

Emrah wrote:The nose knows. Trust your gut I'd say.

Emrah

Nose test probably wont fail you. If you got it cooled quick I'd think you'd be just fine.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:24 am

Clink wrote:
Emrah wrote:The nose knows. Trust your gut I'd say.

Emrah

Nose test probably wont fail you. If you got it cooled quick I'd think you'd be just fine.

I agree. If the meat went bad you will no doubt smell it. Usually deep in the hindquarter near the leg socket is where the spoiling will be most noticable by smell because the muscle retains the heat there the longest.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 am

Any off color is a good indicator as well. I'm really paranoid about meat getting though and lucky enough to have a lot of doe tags to access from.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am

Green is not good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:38 pm

On the occasions I have had to retrieve a deer the next AM I would say it was noticeable in the taste. I ate it anyway and was fine. But it required a bit more rub, marinade or whatever to kill some of the gaminess. I try to get them on ice as soon as is possible. But we've all been there and I won't in good conscious let an animal go to waste. I just make more chili and pot roasts with beef stock and less steaks.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Did you hit both lungs, or did you hit it in the liver (it almost sounds like a liver hit based on the blood and reaction)? if it was a liver shot, that deer very well may have lived longer than 2 hours..... Like the others said, if it smells ok you did the right thing by cleaning/cooling asap. The next test will be the taste..... :) But overall, I bet the meat will be ok.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:33 pm

In theory you have 4 hours in warm weather to get the game meat in the cooler and chilled in order to eliminate any possibility of foodborne illness. However, for most anyone who has harvested a deer in warm weather, that is often not possible. Luckily, dangerous bacteria doesn't automatically ruin meat as soon as the clock strikes 4 hours. In most cases you have a lot more time to work with, but the hotter it is, the more risk involved.

40 degrees is the magic temperature you want to cool the meat to as quickly as possible. Dangerous bacteria won't grow in temps below 40. That being said, if you harvest a deer in warm weather and the recovery takes a while, don't attempt to age your meat. It will be prone to spoil faster.

If the meat starts looking off, or smelling, ditch it. Contrary to what many hunters think, you can never just cook out dangerous bacteria.

(I work with food by profession and am safe food certified)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”