Kids today compared to when I first started hunting in 99

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Kids today compared to when I first started hunting in 99

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:04 am

Just thought of this post as last night I took my 5 year old son hunting with me last night. Had I got him his mentored permit he could legally hunted. Man the times have changed. I didn't go hunting with my dad until I was 12. My dad wasn't the best at teaching me things, and sometimes, lets just say the "arms reach" rule was ignored. Much of what I had learned was on my own. I don't discredit my dad for taking me out there, but I am taking a little different approach with my son. It just flat out amazes me what they pick up on and how much they retain that you tell them.

For instance back in 99 when I first started hunting at the age of 12. I never heard one person ever talk about the age of a deer. It was always nice buck, or big bodied 6 point or something like that. Now when my son and I go over trail cam pics or see deer, its always, "That look like a 2 year old Dad, or that looks like a 5 year old buck dad" Now he cant identify them but just the fact that he is talking of age is a huge change compared to "back in the day"

My dad had me under his wing when I was 12, but then our hunt would consist of sitting for a little while, then he would tell me to go explore. I learned the ground that I hunted and we had walkie talkies, but to say that he had followed the rules back then would be a fib. I was taught what a deer trail looked like, what a buck rub was, and tracks.

I would pretty much hit the ground and hunt.

Flash forward roughly 18 years into the future to last night.

My son and I get out of my jeep. I had explained to him a while back that we never want to set up and have the wind at our neck in fields. We get out, take our first picture of our first archery hunt together. He says,

"Uh oh! Dad"

"Whats the matter buddy?"

" Dad I feel the wind on my neck"

I explain to him that we are going to be hunting the field but the deer would not be out yet. When we sit down they wont be able to smell us. As we walked down the trail to get to our spot I could hear him stomping in the gravel. I didn't yell at him or anything, just explained that he needed to walk on the areas where there was dirt pushed down from the side by sides and such and not in the rocks. I had him walk in the gravel, then walk on the dirt to hear for himself the difference. I tried to keep it fun for him and told him to pretend he was a Wolf going after the deer. I told him we had to be sneaky just like the wolf.

We approached the area of the field by where the deer could be expected. SO I crouched down, and brought him to my side. I explained how we had to use the edge of the CRP to conceal our movements. I told him that if we was on the other side the deer could see him instantly.

We go to our spot and I took it for what it was. My boy and I, under some Tamarack pines with some crp back cover. He sat down on the ground, and I was sitting on my knees. He made it 45 minutes or so before getting antsy. I gave him a brownie. A small field mouse was rustling behind him. He told me that he was trying to get a hold of his brownie. He then started to play with the thermacell and such. I could tell he was losing interest.

I know many will disagree with me on what I did next, but things like this are something that can really help kids today. I gave him my phone, and put on Netflix. His head would pop up when the chippys would rustle in the leaves. He was still intentive but not going crazy with boredom. I just had to laugh as it is just about peak time when deer would come out when, something funny happened. He had to laugh but tried so hard to keep it to a "TTSsss tssss tssss" Once he gets a little older, and we start seeing deer, we will not need this as much, but for now I honestly think it is a great tool to use.

Now this makes me think back to one of my first times in the woods with my dad. I think I may have been 8 or so. I was bored and started breaking sticks and such. My dad kind of got a little heated, and corrected me on it. I had all but lost interest in the outdoors that day.

I just want to have my son, have a well earned knowledge on hunting. I think a lot of guys out there today focus entirely on the kill aspect. Like, I have to get my kid a deer, or they focus too much on the child killing a deer, that they don't teach them enough. I am all for mentored youth program, but I think I would work best if the parent really engages with the child. I am guilty of this with Corbin with fly fishing. We hit a stream that I know is loaded and he catches a ton, including some fish most grown adults haven't caught in their life. What happened with that? Now when we go he and he doesn't have luck he gets bored quickly, and wants to leave. I should have made it more about practicing casting, and learning about bugs and such instead of the, Here let me help you cast, and your pretty much guaranteed to catch a fish. He still loves it, but not as much.

But back to hunting, I feel that if you really teach them everything that pops into you head as you are walking to your spot. Really teach them. Teach them about monarch caterpillars, relate it to hunting so they can take some milk week seeds and let them go to watch the wind. Teach them about what deer eat. You don't need to figure out lesson plans, but everything you see relay to them. If they find it interesting keep explaining it. You are going to end up spooking a few deer, and you kid may be the direct result of it, but don't get so wrapped up in the fact of the kill. Or don't put so much pressure on yourself to get them a deer, or kill a deer when they are with you, that it takes all of the fun out of it. Heck let them use some calls now and then.

I feel that a kid that learns as they hunt, will be more likely to keep with it. A kid that fails with you on a few hunts, will understand that it is not always like trout fishing daddys secret spots. I also feel that giving them a little, phone or game boy time while mixing in the outdoors is fine. IF you go out and just hammer on them the whole time about complaining, or making noise, they will hate it. If you go out, and they kill a deer on their first hunt its awesome and all but then they can come to expect it. When they don't have these slam dunk hunts, what are they going to do. One of the things I noticed from last year to this year was I didn't burn him out, and overwhelm him with outdoor stuff. We only got out dove hunting once, and I caught myself correcting him to much on the hunt, and getting frustrated. It went from "Daddy, can we go dove hunting?" to "Hey Corb, you want to go dove hunting? Nah, I want to stay home and play with my Dinosaurs." THAT WAS A WAKE UP CALL!

All of these things are up to the parents really. There is no sure fire way to do things, but I wanted to share my thoughts on the whole thing. I mean my beginnings in the woods are more or less self taught, but I turned out ok I guess. I just think that more kids would stick with it if the parents are fully engaged, keep it fresh and new, don't get frustrated, and don't solely focus on the kill.

The thing about all of this is that, I just want to keep it fun for him. I want to build him a dang solid foundation on the outdoors. I want him to know everything that I know. I want him to pass this stuff on down to his kids as well. You just have to let them experience these things, and take every situation for what it was worth. I for one chalk it up as one of my favorite hunts yet. No deer came out but it was just awesome.

I have some good pics but cant figure out how to upload them now. LOL my photobucket doesn't work like it did before.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Octang
500 Club

Re: Kids today compared to when I first started hunting in 99

Unread postby Octang » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 am

Great post!

When my son started getting excited about coming hunting with me, I told him to practice he needs to go sit in the closet for a few hours and stare at a picture of a tree. He wasn't overly impressed with my idea.

Though I obviously didn't make him do that, I knew that hunting wouldn't be the thrills and nonstop excitement that he probably envisioned. I think mixing in a little netflix/electronics is a smart move. I was afraid to take my son hunting too much before he comprehended how boring it could be because I didn't want to bore him out of the sport before he ever got started. I think next time, I'll bring an extra phone battery for him.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 am

LOL I actually have a battery charging pack. They created some new ones now that you can even charge 2 things at once with. LOL
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 am

I think you're doing it right! Reminds me a lot of my early years in the woods spent learning in the woods with my father, him allowing me to hunt chipmunks and squirrels with my BB gun and eating my entire Halloween candy stash loud wrappers and all on stand :lol:

Good job! Sounds like you have quite the lil Hunter on your hand :clap:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:34 am

Same here... I couldn't hunt deer or turkey until that age either, always had to wait anxiously until the dog started barking which meant he was almost back home walking out of the woods. Then we went out for first youth hunt season here, after that I was put in my own spots like you. He always puts them down in rifle season and im finally starting to get a few w my bow so I get little extra satisfaction out of. Can only hope my little one will keep enjoying it whenever I bring one home for pics.

One suggestion id make if the phone will be busted out again is get some call apps and let him learn about some of that. Also, at very least maybe a hunting game to learn shots and keep him pumped...? Good story though Bowmike, thanks for sharing. I wonder what the future holds for the youngsters as well bc some of us have saved decades of failures just from the hunting beast.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:48 am

You're doing it right. I'm slowly introducing the outdoors to my 5 year old daughter. She loves to fish... for a little while. We even decorated her own pole (be-dazzled it really). She hammers some bluegills. When it lets up, we stop.

She (tries) to shoot her bow with me. If she's had enough, we stop. We've gone hiking and exploring together. I show her she's ok to walk 10 feet in front on me and to not be scared. She knows coyote poop and why it sometimes has fur in it.

No way would she sit in a stand or blind quietly for hours. I don't make her. She's a total daddy's girl and hardly let's me do anything by myself. Patch and mud drywall? Yep. Make pancakes? Yep. Stuff sausage and make jerky? You bet.

She wants to hunt and cheers me on when I go, but we're going to take our sweet time actually asking her along. Baby steps. Trying to build a long term love of the outdoors here.

Emrah
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 am

Darkknight54 wrote:.

One suggestion id make if the phone will be busted out again is get some call apps and let him learn about some of that. Also, at very least maybe a hunting game to learn shots and keep him pumped...? .

He was watching "Open Season" lol but I have some hunting apps and such on the phone as well. Just have to let them be a kid sometimes as well. We shoot bows, check cameras, fly fish, tie flies, all of that, but sometimes you just gotta let them do "normal" kids stuff.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 am

bowmike wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:.

One suggestion id make if the phone will be busted out again is get some call apps and let him learn about some of that. Also, at very least maybe a hunting game to learn shots and keep him pumped...? .

He was watching "Open Season"lol but I have some hunting apps and such on the phone as well. Just have to let them be a kid sometimes as well. We shoot bows, check cameras, fly fish, tie flies, all of that, but sometimes you just gotta let them do "normal" kids stuff.

:lol: :handgestures-thumbupright:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 am

I used to remove the suction cups off my toy arrows. Sharpen them. And then try to shoot birds with them. I was probably 9 or 10.

That was way before 1999 :P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jp08ee

Unread postby jp08ee » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 am

Great post! My son is 6 and daughter is 4. They both love watching me target shoot and help pull arrows out. First sit this year my daughter was trying to sneak in the truck as i was packing my gear cause I told her she couldn't go as I'm up in a tree. She cried hysterically! I'm planning on talking her out when I'm on the ground a do something similar. I love talking them with me hiking and looking at deer sign along with checking fields for deer. She gets so excited when she she's them before me! It is amazing how much she remembers when I tell her what to look for. She even made me a picture yesterday of me shooting a deer with her with my bow, lol. I can't wait to enjoy the outdoors with both of them in the coming years also.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:24 am

Love the kid engagement!

99 - that's cute... ;)

Guess I'm old!
Although Stanley & Magic are older.
Or I'll nickname them Sly & Majestic :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm

tgreeno wrote:I used to remove the suction cups off my toy arrows. Sharpen them. And then try to shoot birds with them. I was probably 9 or 10.

That was way before 1999 :P

When I was way to young to hunt I got a blowgun. I made my own darts out of stainless rod and sharpened them on the concrete until I could draw blood with a small finger poke.... poor sparrows didn't have a chance. I could shoot those darts into a drinking straw at 15 yards.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Good stuff!!! When I was a kid I was pure evil on the tweety birds with a pellet gun. From there I graduated to squirrels and rabbits. I was around 12 or 13 when my dad got me a 243 for my birthday and that was the first year I went hunting for whitetail. I have been hooked ever since that first experience, later on in life I got into bow hunting and those treasured close encounters really dug it's hooks into me. I take my lil girl with me sometimes to set cameras and give her 2 to place wherever she wants. She gets excited when I come home with memory cards. She is only 4 so she has afew more years of running cameras b4 I take her out. I got her a toy bow afew weeks ago cant wait.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Kids lose interest very fast because of the society we live in these days. I think you have to make it somewhat interesting for him now. He can decide to go hardcore later in life. Right now it's about you two spending time together. I applaud anyone taking their time to teach a young kid.

My best memories were practicing with my lil Kmart bow with wooden arrows. I'd shoot at a hay bale with my dad. I wasn't old enough to hunt, so I'd gather up pine needles off the pine trees around the house for his clothes. He taught me about the cicada shells on the pines and what the bug sounded like at night. He'd grab a shell off the tree and put it on my shoulder.

I didn't have a phone back when I first hunted. I nearly missed my first deer though because I was playing with a watch I got for Christmas. My dad left me in a shooting house while he was perched high up in a tree across the green field. He said he contemplated on shooting the spike because he thought I was asleep. My marlin 30-30 smoked him about 30 seconds later when I finally looked up.
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Great post Mike!
I had to wait till I was 12 too. I learned a lot while hunting squirrel and fall turkey, and next to nothing hunting deer.
I think spring gobbler is a really good way to bring kids in too. Lots more excitement!
My dad followed the arms reach rule, so by the time I was 16 I could hunt whenever I wanted, it was great!
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”