Pocket Rocks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DirtyBird

Pocket Rocks

Unread postby DirtyBird » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:01 am

Somewhere along the way (may have been on The Beast...can't recall) I read about someone putting small rocks in their pocket before a hunt and dropping them from their stand throughout the hunt to make it sound like acorns falling. Just curious if anyone else has ever heard about that before or tried it.

Steve Heiting
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steve.heiting.5

Re: Pocket Rocks

Unread postby Steve Heiting » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:34 am

I mentioned it in an earlier thread, though somebody else may have, too. It sounds crazy but it works. I have no idea why the deer think freshly-falling acorns are better than those already on the ground, but they do. I've been in a tree stand in a pine tree with deer beneath me looking for acorns.

It works best if you see a deer in the distance first, rather than "blind" dropping.

The land surrounding my house is loaded with oaks, so just cleaning acorns out of the lawn provides me with plenty. However, if you don't have access to acorns, or it's considered baiting and is banned where you hunt, pebbles work fine, too. The only difference is I drop the acorns on my rubber boots and let them clunk on my stand, because the more noise while falling the better; but with pebbles, they tend to clank on a stand, so I just drop them into any branches and leaves beneath my stand.
thwack16
500 Club

Re: Pocket Rocks

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 am

I've seen it mentioned several times but have never tried it. Was sitting in my tree on the edge of bedding Saturday morning listening to a tree drop sporadically when I thought back to this idea. I definitely think it could work, especially when there are few acorns dropping. May try it this evening.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”