Have you ever bumped a target buck and still killed him that season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
xpauliber
500 Club

Have you ever bumped a target buck and still killed him that season?

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 am

So I shined a real nice buck on the night of the eclipse in a field that connects to a bottom that I have access to hunt. After seeing him, I went to the opposite side of the bottom (about 400 yards away) where it's thick, there are a couple ponds made by beaver dams there and it's surrounded by old strip hills around it and it's the perfect place to bed. I set my trail cam on a decent trail that went up one of the shale hills. I left it there 2 weeks and I got one pic of the buck at 12:30pm with him heading up towards the top of the hill. I figured he was bedding up near the top of the hill. I didn't go back in there until our season opener which was yesterday.

My plan was to start hunting at the opposite end of the bottom where I first spotted him as there are some oaks and different food sources at that end. The wind wasn't cooperating when I dropped down into the bottom and so I made a big circle out around the bottom and decided to work my way towards his bedding area from the downwind side and setup on fresh sign if I could find any. I got within 100 yards of where I had my cam set and found a decent trail and so I stopped and rehung my cam on that trail just to try and get some additional intel. I'm still in the bottom and fully expecting him to be bedded on the ridge up above me. I just closed the door on my trailcam, picked my bow up and took 3 more steps and I heard heavy hooves and I looked up 20 yards away and saw my target buck busting up through the brush heading up onto the hill that I thought he was bedded on. The wind was in my face so I'm pretty certain he didn't smell me. I resisted the temptation to go over and inspect his bed and I circled out around and setup about 30 yards away in case he swung back around and bedded back down. He never showed. My first thought was bump n dump but you can't hunt on Sunday's in PA :cry: :cry: :cry:

So I'm not sure how to proceed here. I'm not sure if I should get back in there this coming week, or give him a couple weeks before going back in, or completely write him off until he starts rutting. I have shined this area probably a dozen times at least and I have not seen him since the night of the eclipse; he seems very reclusive. I have a lot of other really good spots that I want to hit but this is by far the biggest buck I've ever had the opportunity to hunt and I'd love to stay on him as long as it's not a lost cause. I don't want to give up if there's a chance that I can still get on him.

Have you ever bumped a target buck out of his bed and still killed him that season in the same area?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Have you ever bumped a target buck and still killed him that season?

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 am

You just never know. I bumped a buck from its bed in early October 2009. He was bedded in an oxbow/point in a deep ditch. I never did see him use that bed again. I killed the buck a month or so later 1/4 mile away in a different bedding area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:08 pm

As soon as you have the same wind go in there and hunt him. If nothing shows then give it a rest for a while. Right now you know exactly where he was and you didn't spook him too bad so I'd give it a hunt immediately with that intel. I had this happen to me last year on a slob... bad thing is he showed twice and I still didn't kill him. The thermals dropped right at dark and he was in a position to bust me. He taught me something though.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Sounds like your down because you bumped him? I take the opposite mindset. I get eyes on a buck and start to focus on him. I often bump my target buck before killing him. I start to break down the area and hop around till I get my chance. Seeing a shooter is a good thing, not bad...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 pm

dan wrote:Sounds like your down because you bumped him? I take the opposite mindset. I get eyes on a buck and start to focus on him. I often bump my target buck before killing him. I start to break down the area and hop around till I get my chance. Seeing a shooter is a good thing, not bad...

100% agree. I have been trying to bump one of my target bucks for 2 seasons. Just to locate one of his bedding areas.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 am

I learn a lot every time I bump one, it is a treasure trove of information.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks guys!

I am down about it because I thought I blew it. I'll keep after him and hopefully have a pic holding him to share with you soon!
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 am

headgear wrote:I learn a lot every time I bump one, it is a treasure trove of information.

Yes it really is! I killed one in 2013 that I busted bad. I watched him get out of his bed on an Observation sit and he ended up getting in range right after legal shooting light. I ended up busting him when I got down and he did the whole blow/stomp/run routine. I went back in there a week later and hilled him ten feet from his bed on the ground. It was a LOT of luck but he was bedded in the same spot a week later.
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Yes, I bumped the buck I killed last year a few weeks prior to killing him.
It showed me exactly where he was bedding, it was thick enough that he never really knew what spooked him. He never got my wind.
I knew the general area he was bedding but hadn’t pinpointed his exact bed. The morning I killed him I just made a wider circle around his bed.
James
ProStaff

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:44 pm

I bumped one in 2006 walking in on an evening hunt. I watched him take off and he got super hung up in a barbed wire fence trying to get under it. I killed him the next morning and he had a fresh patch of hair and some cuts on his back where he got hung up. Pretty funny

Stick with it, you'll get a shot at him.
My YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/jamessqr
My hunting journal and blog - http://www.james-squires.com
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Have to agree with Dan.....nothing like a confirmed sighting whether he was bumped or not. I jumped a buck out his bed back in 2011 and went back a week later and killed him.....and then almost got a shot at a bigger one a couple hours later. Never hurts to be aggressive.....get in after him!
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 am

Had one wind me in the dark one morning last year, and run off blowing. Killed him from the same stand a couple weeks later.

I think the quality of the bedding area could be a variable here. If the buck is using that area because it is convenient to a food source, he could relocate to a more secure area. If that is his core area, and he feels safe there, he's not going to move far.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 am

Yes , killed two after bumped/ eyes on. Both shot inside a week later. I jumped one out his bed in a thick creek bottom. 5 days later he was bedded high but not far from the original bed. Sat a big scrape in between.
The other was ran out of a bedding area I was set close to by a guy walking his dog. The Buck Ran right under my stand... shot him a few days later on the next farm across the road.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:48 am

Yup.... keep grindn till you run out of real estate to chase em on!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 am

Hey guys, new here but been seriously hunting my whole life.

OP---I hunt only on public land. Two years ago I found a bed to a hog of a buck. I hunted that bed as well as another bed he used less than 40 acres away. I saw him twice and bumped him once. I hated myself for that!!! However he NEVER left and every time the wind was right he was back in that bed regardless of all the action around him. It was well known that he was there and there were 3 stands being used on that 40 acres, he never left. He was so comfortable and confident in his escape routes...and rightly so. It was nearly impossible to get behind him to a stand and there was open water on the other side of him. He'd either see you coming from open water or smell you from behind and the brush was so thick on both sides it was impossible to sneak in on him, nearly impenetrable. When I jumped him and he took off I've never heard so many limbs breaking lol.

Well, that 40 acres of public land adjoins to about 14,000 acres of more public land but just to the south was private acreage. Late season muzzle loader brought him to an end when that private land owner got him. 177" of deer. This deer had been pressured and hunted for years. There was rumors floating all over locally about this deer. Absolutely amazing he lived as long as he did.

Don't loose hope. If they are comfortable in that area he will likely stay in that area. Just be PATIENT. Think things through before executing any plan or even any step in the woods.

Good luck.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”